00 Yamaha PWK carb on 06 CR250 throttle cable fitment

I know this question has been asked before but I am wondering if there are any tricks to make the throttle cable fit with a bit more slack.  I installed my Yamaha carb on my 250 today and I set all the throttle cable adjustments to be as long as I could and there is no slack in the cable.  I don't know if it is actually too tight or not because my motor is with Eric Gorr right now but there certainly is no slack in the cable.  Do you have to reroute it?  Do I need a different cable?  I did search but didn't find the answers.

Edited by frdbtr

A little more searching and I found my answer!!

You can plug the powerjet with a brass plug from the hardware store or with JB Weld. I used JB Weld to plug the port that leads to the powerjet in the float bowl.

I wouldn't waste your money on the JD kit. The CEJ needle, 178 main and 48 pilot jets will only set you back about $15. Since you are at elevation, go ahead and pick up some leaner mains and pilots while you are at it. It would be a be good idea to get a CEK and CEL needle too. These needles are slightly leaner at 0-1/4 throttle, which may improve throttle response at very high altitude. They are only $6 each.

Your stock cable will work with the YZ carb. You will also need to reuse the cable adjuster from the top of your old mikuni. Install it without the lock nut, so that you can screw it all the way in for adequate slack. Put a tiny dab of blue loctite on the threads to keep it from backing out.

Mine is the same......just enough freeplay to be safe...........I also found that when I turned my bars full lock to the right, the throttle cable was sitting tightly on the front number plate plastic mounting mould.

I used a sharp blade to carefully trim the left side of this plastic mount, which gave my cable some valuable breathing room.(without weakening )

It's hard to explain what I'm talking about without a picture!, but if you turn your bars to the right you'll see what I mean.........

• 2 months later...

Ok guys I have a 36pwk I installed on my 2003 with a brand new oem 2003 throttle cable and it is to tight when I turn my wheel to the right.  I have had the honda dealer look at my routing and they say it is correct.  I definitely think the cable when it gets slack also can catch the cdi.  How much longer is the 2000 cr250 throttle cable.  Also is it just me or does the angle the throttle cable comes out of the carb seem pretty sharp.  Thanks for your help guys.

Edited by 223hpyhooker

the internal length is about 1/2" longer to give you that slack you need.  worked great on my 02 cr125 with the PWK swap

Interesting.  I bought the 00 CR250 Motion pro cable for my swap and thought that if it was longer I could use the lock nut on the carb top.  I routed the cable per the service manual and I still couldn't use the lock nut on the carb and it still had about the same slack at the throttle when my tire is straight forward, it also removes any slack as I rotate the front tire from side to side.  1/2" should have given me plenty of slack, I wonder if I got the wrong cable.

Interesting.  I bought the 00 CR250 Motion pro cable for my swap and thought that if it was longer I could use the lock nut on the carb top.  I routed the cable per the service manual and I still couldn't use the lock nut on the carb and it still had about the same slack at the throttle when my tire is straight forward, it also removes any slack as I rotate the front tire from side to side.  1/2" should have given me plenty of slack, I wonder if I got the wrong cable.

hard to say but you did go aftermarket.  I assume you have the middle adjustment at the most slack also there.  Like Cam suggested, you don't need the lock nut at the carb.  just adjust at the lever. 

I thibk my problem is I have a screw top pwk and it is taller then the tps version where the cable comes out. I will take my cable and compare it before purchasing but any length is good news being if I turn sharp rigjt the rpms go up a little which in tight woods is not a option for me.

I thibk my problem is I have a screw top pwk and it is taller then the tps version where the cable comes out. I will take my cable and compare it before purchasing but any length is good news being if I turn sharp rigjt the rpms go up a little which in tight woods is not a option for me.

You can always route it KTM style, which is behind the handlebars.

2013_KTM_150SX_006_311254.JPG

Edited by CamP

hard to say but you did go aftermarket.  I assume you have the middle adjustment at the most slack also there.  Like Cam suggested, you don't need the lock nut at the carb.  just adjust at the lever. 

Since it is a throttle cable there is no adjustment in the middle of the cable.  I have the adjustment nut removed at the carb and the throttle adjusted as long as it will go at the throttle housing. Either the aftermarket cable isn't as long as the OEM one or the after market cable was mis marked in its packaging and is not really an 00 cr250 cable because it is nearly identical to the stock 06 cable as far as how much slack is in the cable at the throttle.

Yeah and mine is the j40 I had them side by side and they look the same. I had a guy at everett powersports confirm. I held the cables in and made sure adjustments were the same. If it is longer its 1/4 inch or less.

Even 1/4 inch would be great.  I didn't get that on mine.  Like I said though, being a motion pro cable might have something to do with my fitment issues.  Maybe some day I will spring for an OEM cable.  it would be a total OCD move though since the cable is working perfectly, just doesn't have as much play at the throttle as I would like.