Sign in to follow this  

Avon Distanzia ...The real scoop

Ok so its time to get new tires for sm and Im reading there are different compounds with the size ?  Am I suppose to get 150/70/17 ,please help and what size for front ? I want to get lots of miles out of these tires 

Hey Brah,

Delete that last post to your cart.  It contains no info on the tire, but it DOES show some personal info.

Im about to order some myself. I read reviews about the DS slipping out but I definitely want the mileage out of my tire so not sure which to buy.

theyre good street70/30 tire to me, there pretty fast on the street, you can hit the edges front and back..but offroad its just decent nothing super special..

if you ride alot more off road over street, id go with shinko 244's.. street40/60 maybe more offoad.. and a set is $110!

i had dunlop 606's on my xr650...its a street10/90 tire! and it handle pretty decent on the road..just deopends what you want

i guess distanzia is a good starting point, but i dont ride offroad anymore and will never buy 1 again

Edited by 707LAKE

I ride with a bunch that swears by the distanzia's! I've seen them tear it up offroad as well. Not just gravel, but trails and such (staying away from mud for the most part).

Lots of grip. Our group has had a few sets of distanzia's each.

I run distanzia's and they are great for the occasional dirt trail nothing crazy. When i did my reaserch about new tires they came out as the best 80/20 (street/dirt). When i ordered them they had the dual sport compound and the supermoto compound. I chose the dual sport compound since it should last longer. A previous rider on supermotojunkie.com said he only got 1800mi off the SMC but he did have a ktm :thinking:  heres a link to that thread
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?85215-Avon-Distanzia

I run distanzia's and they are great for the occasional dirt trail nothing crazy. When i did my reaserch about new tires they came out as the best 80/20 (street/dirt). When i ordered them they had the dual sport compound and the supermoto compound. I chose the dual sport compound since it should last longer. A previous rider on supermotojunkie.com said he only got 1800mi off the SMC but he did have a ktm :thinking:  heres a link to that thread

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?85215-Avon-Distanzia

I have shinkos on now ,they corner good for me but scary offroad ,so I found avon Distanzia on chapperall motorsports on ebay but the rear is DS and front is SM compound ,Thats what I might have to run for around $300 

Yea the Distanzias are on the pricey end in my opinion try to get the same compound if possible. Im not shure if that will really affect performance but i could image it will affect the way they "stick" to the road. In my opinion if your shelling out that much dough on tires might as well get the same compound :thumbsup:

I ran the sm compound front and rear on my 05 Husqvarna 510 SMR. Off road they were ok on jeep trails and fire roads but sick singletrack they sucked. On the street they had great grip and cornered really well all the way past the chicken strip zone but I wore out the rear in less than 700 miles. Granted that the Husky made close to 60 hp and weighed less than 280lbs and I was quite prone to backing it in and burning it around corners, don't think I would use them again. Too expensive for what they are worth. I think they would last longer on a drz with more weight and less hp but I'm happy with Michy PP 2's on my drzsm for now. Gotta remember off road that I'm on pilot powers but no issues so far on dirt roads only.

I've had avon distanzias for just under 1000 miles so far.  Really happy with them.  I honestly don't know which compound they are.  I ordered them from motorcycle superstore.  They corner as good as my Conti force tires I had and anything rides better then the stock dunlops.  I don't ride much past seasonal highways (NY's name for gravel dirt roads) as far as off road goes.  On loose dirt and gravel they connect far better then the conti force, back end might fish tail once or twice then connects and you go.  Depending how heavy on the throttle you are. 

You guys have to rememeber you can't run street pressure offroad and expect miracles. I ran trailwings offroad for a long time and nearly everyone says they are death. Yes certain tires are better than others but I've done trail riding on contis sm tires. You can get away with a wide range or pressures on the street but offroad if you have 27psi of course its not going to grip. Off road is all about tire compliance and why true offroad rims and tires run rimlocks and 10 psi.

I have ridden both compound distanzias and unless you are pushing it you probably won't notice the ds harder compound. More concerned with mileage then go with the ds compound, I think its the 150/70.