Sign in to follow this  

How do you clean your bike like the pros

Alright so i always thought i kept my bike pretty clean i power wash it after i ride every time but i recently went to a mx race and most of those guys have bikes that look like they never even been ridden how to they clean there bikes and keep them that clean??

• Like 1

they have them taken apart and cleaned 1000 times a year....

i keep mine pretty clean. after a ride i spray my motor down with engine bright, spray everything els down with royal purple cleaner, use tooth brushes to get at the small spaces, and a big horse brush to brush the rest of the bike. then i just clean it off with a garden hose and go over it again to make sure i didnt miss any big clups of dirt.

what i found is that its important to get it clean the same day that you rode, and as quick as possible.

also, i spray lucas spray wax on the underside of my fenders and let it dry as is, no whipping. find the dirt comes off alot easyier. and wipe the rest of my bike down with it too.

• Like 2

They take the motors out of the frame every race haha, and I keep mine looking clean, I usually will do the average hose cleaning, and then pull the tires & all the plastics & gas tank & subframe and get a shop rag & a bottle of brasso (someone please tell me if it hurts aluminum) and go at the rest of the bike, I like brasso because I found it will clean stains off the aluminum frames, but not polish them, before I tried white diamond and it polished my frame, thank god I tried it on an incospicuous part

i pull my motor every now and then and give it a good blasting with the soda gun to get it all nice and clean. if you want to be that anal about it.

....pft. Drop it off in the morning pick it up in the afternoon. These girls are great.mx-atv-babes_002_1197334554.jpg.

• Like 4

Alright so i always thought i kept my bike pretty clean i power wash it after i ride every time but i recently went to a mx race and most of those guys have bikes that look like they never even been ridden how to they clean there bikes and keep them that clean??

this isn't what they do but it sure helps her to look pretty all the time! Spray on after you wash it and dry it then spray on. Smells wonderfully and shines like it did when she was on the showroom floor!ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378781344.885152.jpg

Maxima SC1 "new bike in a can"

• Like 1

Ok cause i was out cleaning my bike last night and i had the subframe gas tank tires and all that off and was spaying agent orange and scrubbing with a nylon brush medium size and a toothbrush and than wiping it off with a rag i just didn't know if there was an easier faster way hahah and whats the best cleaner i always heard good stuff about simple green

Power wash majority of dirt/mud off

spray everything with a soapy solution

let soak for 5-10min

bucket of soapy water and scrub everything

rinse off

get one of those super absorbant towels and wipe/dry every square inch of the bike you can get too

done

Probably not how the pros do it but its the method that i found to work, biggest part is wipeing dry cause you get the fine stuff the power washer didnt get

What! I didn't know I was supposed to wash it!!! I thought sitting outside in the rain was good enough..... Ha ha ha. Just kidding.

I use good old fashion elbow grease, soap and water, then plexus on the plastics. +1 on the waxy stuff under the fenders, it helps the dirt come off a little easier.

and was spaying agent orange

That has to be the worse name for a degreaser. "Hey Bill, let's name it Agent Orange, you know after the chemical that kill hundreds of thousands of people and caused thousand upon thousands of birth defects." "That's a good idea, Jim". 

I don't know about the orange stuff, but with most degreasers you need to rinse it with water, not just wipe it off. 

• Like 2

That has to be the worse name for a degreaser. "Hey Bill, let's name it Agent Orange, you know after the chemical that kill hundreds of thousands of people and caused thousand upon thousands of birth defects." "That's a good idea, Jim".

I don't know about the orange stuff, but with most degreasers you need to rinse it with water, not just wipe it off.

Hahahaha it may not be called agent orange but its something orange hsha and could it damage anything sense i didnt rince it?

I keep my bikes looking brand new even after 40+ hours. It's important to not let the bike sit dirty too long after a ride. The mud and dirt will stain the metal parts and the longer it sits, the harder it is to remove. Power wash every inch of your bike, wash it with some type of soap mitt and then rinse. Dry it off with either air or with a towel. If i have time, I'll use air to get water out of all the hard to reach areas.

When the bike is dry use Plexus, Lemon Pledge, or Maxima SC1(works great) on the plastics. Also lube your chain so it doesn't rust. I have a few carbon pieces on my bike that are clear-coated. I'll use a Meguires NXT Tech wax on them, and also on my black Excel Rims, and then I'll buff it off. If you've ever seen Reeds bike during a night race, his wheels shine and sparkle. It's because they polish his rims.  If you have an aluminum frame, use a scotch-brite pad in the grain direction to keep up the brushed aluminum look. It will make your frame look brand new and you don't have to resort to polishing it.  I'll also use a scotch-brite pad on the header pipe to remove any stubborn marks or burn marks from gear. 

My stuff looks brand new for ages.....

9329371757_902d0ae7c9_c.jpg

Edited by Jarrett H
  • Like 1

1) They don't wash them. Someone else does.

2) Power washer, then spray bike with any of the "purple" cleaners(while the bike is wet), rinse. Start bike up to dry it off. Done. No need for a bucket and hand-cleaning:

13 years of doing this and this is the result: (no, the plastic is not faded. That is just intense morning sunlight and a cell phone camera)

IMG_20130907_091949_564-1_zps34f65b33.jp

Edited by DR.billZ

Wash the mud off with power washer, spray some Spectro XL-1 mixed 50/50 with water (no harm in using it pure, just a waste of product). Rinse off thouroughly. Dry metal parts and bolts with compressed air. Spray chain and steel parts with lubricant. No need to scrub.

1) They don't wash them. Someone else does.

2) Power washer, then spray bike with any of the "purple" cleaners(while the bike is wet), rinse. Start bike up to dry it off. Done. No need for a bucket and hand-cleaning:

13 years of doing this and this is the result: (no, the plastic is not faded. That is just intense morning sunlight and a cell phone camera)

IMG_20130907_091949_564-1_zps34f65b33.jp

I just wanted to give my .02 and pay this guy a compliment.

I quit power washing my bikes when I found out it sprays the grease out of some of the bearings such as the shock, linkage, and swingarm bearings. I just replaced those on my 01 cr125 and they were all nasty, dirt covered, rusted, and one was even frozen solid. I found I can clean it just as good with a garden hose and a pressure nozzle, just takes 5 more minutes.

And for the compliment, you have a nice size yard and some sexy lookin grass there. I'm jealous.

• Like 1

Lots of effort is how to keep bikes looking clean.

I have any bike i have ever owned down to the frame about once a month for a proper clean.  Pressure washer, just a small electric one is what I like. Big gas ones are dangerous if you get sloppy.  Plastic bristle brushes. Wd 40, dish dawn dish soap and water cuts grease well.  Maxima sc1 is nice stuff

But overall its alot of elbo grease.

my 02

4saleagain003.jpg

sig-2.jpg

rm.jpg

my 03 (hand smoothed hubs, header polish spokes, not bad for 100$ in 4 different boxes when i bought it)

yz250f001.jpg

• Like 1

I just wanted to give my .02 and pay this guy a compliment.

I quit power washing my bikes when I found out it sprays the grease out of some of the bearings such as the shock, linkage, and swingarm bearings. I just replaced those on my 01 cr125 and they were all nasty, dirt covered, rusted, and one was even frozen solid. I found I can clean it just as good with a garden hose and a pressure nozzle, just takes 5 more minutes.

And for the compliment, you have a nice size yard and some sexy lookin grass there. I'm jealous.

Should have seen it in the spring. The worst (or best) crop of dandelions known to mankind!

• Like 1

Should have seen it in the spring. The worst (or best) crop of dandelions known to mankind!

been so dry here I couldnt even grow any of those in my yard! Now its brown and crunches when you walk on it... Good thing I guess is I haven't mowed in a month!

I also vote for the Maxima SC1 makes the plastics look brand new! also makes it easier to clean the next time around as the dirt doesn't stick as bad.. before I ride ill just COAT the underside and usually mud/dirt has a hard time sticking