popping out of gear

Any tips for me? I bought a clean 2010 rmz 450 a year ago coming off an 08 crf450.  I've owed almost every color bike and never had a shifting problem.  When I hopped on the RMZ I was misshifting often.  It took me a couple rides to get the hang of shifting the bike.  I've been out to the track a dozen times and have felt real good with an occasional misshift but nothing crazy.  The last two times I've scared the $hit out of myself..  Both times I've been jumping pretty large jumps and when I go to give a blurp to lift my front end up I have somehow hit natural.  I don't know what is going on - not sure if I'm not engaging it all the way in 3rd or hitting it in the air but 3rd gear is the culprit.  I use good oil and change it probably more than I need to.  I can usually run around the top of a junior class around my area and like I said I've never had this issue with any other bike.  Other than this issue I have never felt so comfortable on a bike.  Any advice would be helpful...  thanks

I have a 2012 and my mate has a 13, both suffer terribly from coming out of gear, it is very annoying.

shift forks might be bent or the shift drum itself might be worn out,  I would recommend splitting the cases and inspecting.

an issue with gears slipping into neutral will only get worse with time.

Ditch the stock shifter for a hammer head etc and make sure you are doing positive shits, this bike needs more input/effort to get the gear fully. You cant just rub it like some of the other brands.

I had the same problem with my last bike (rmz 450 2010) i bougt it new and when i ride it for 60h, it hit neutral in a big jump and i crash hard.. after 1h riding the gerbox was broken, the gear fork had snapt of and broke all gears... Lucky i find a new gerbox for 280$

My new bike 2013 is still running god after 24h

Mine did it the other day.  I was in 3rd and went to shift down into 2nd and rail a big sand berm...one of those sweet uphill turns that you blow up and make it snow sand.....it just went into neutral and I fell over.

I mean I was in a real big hurry so it was just a flick...guess you can't flick it haha.  I have done this on every bike though so as long as I am not doing the revlimiter neutral bang into gear I am not too concerned.

My 2011 shifted so bad I just decided to split the cases and send it out. I had mine undercut and polished! Shifts great now! Sucks that the bike needs all that.

Anyone thought about having the ISF process done? I'm having mine done this winter. For $350 or whatever it cost through Yosh, it is well worth it IMO. Everyone that has had it done says that their bike shifts silky smooth afterwards and every one of the RMZ mis shift and false neutral traits go away.

BDubb106- I had  the ISF done through Robinson industries you can google them. Did a great job on mine. He specialize's in Haybusa's , but a transmission's a transmission. Best part he's cheaper than yosh!

Do you remember how much they charged? And how did the product turn out? Noticeable difference in all the things I mentioned?

I installed a DRZ400sm shift lever on my RMZ, wearing size 11 boots, the stock was a bit short and too tucked in for me wich led to missed shifts. The longer DRZ shifter puts more leverage on the shift shaft and is better positioned, sice the installation, no more missed shifts. I had a chance to try a 13 CRF and a 14 YZ recently and both had a more ''precise engagement'' shifting feel, like if you could get away with ''half assed'' upshifts. Make sure you do a complete, all the way to the end of the shifter stroke, motion when changing gears. I once broke my collarbone and elbow due to a false neutral on the face of a jump ( i blame 50/50 the bike and myself) Since then, i'm a bit more careful to push the shifter all the way up. I guess if the mechanism is better ''engaged'' it wont pop out of gear. Hope it helps.

BDubb106- I think it was $200 $225 range he also undercut my gears! Shifts great! I think you would be fine just getting the tranny polished! Makes a big difference!

Cool... I'm gonna give him a call

You won't be disappointed !

Any tips for me? I bought a clean 2010 rmz 450 a year ago coming off an 08 crf450.  I've owed almost every color bike and never had a shifting problem.  When I hopped on the RMZ I was misshifting often.  It took me a couple rides to get the hang of shifting the bike.  I've been out to the track a dozen times and have felt real good with an occasional misshift but nothing crazy.  The last two times I've scared the $hit out of myself..  Both times I've been jumping pretty large jumps and when I go to give a blurp to lift my front end up I have somehow hit natural.  I don't know what is going on - not sure if I'm not engaging it all the way in 3rd or hitting it in the air but 3rd gear is the culprit.  I use good oil and change it probably more than I need to.  I can usually run around the top of a junior class around my area and like I said I've never had this issue with any other bike.  Other than this issue I have never felt so comfortable on a bike.  Any advice would be helpful...  thanks

as mentioned, the zuks have ratshit gearbox problems.... can be fixed but its usually a complete rebuild an modifications are necessary as the standard suzuki gbox just wont cut it.

my advice would be to do it asap before you miss a gear that causes injury.