Sign in to follow this  

Mx training for adults

I am 26 years old and have about 1 year of riding experience. 95% all desert riding. I just bought a new 2014 crf450 and I really want to learn to ride track with some confidence before I'm to old. I'm not worried about being the fastest I just want to learn to jump and become a better rider. When I go to the track I just feel unprepared to open the throttle and go for it.  I think I could use some pointers and one on one training. I am in southern California in the riverside county area "Temecula to be exact"  Anybody who is willing to teach I am willing to learn and throw some cash your way or trade. Always looking for more riding buddies as well.

I am 26 years old and have about 1 year of riding experience. 95% all desert riding. I just bought a new 2014 crf450 and I really want to learn to ride track with some confidence before I'm to old. I'm not worried about being the fastest I just want to learn to jump and become a better rider. When I go to the track I just feel unprepared to open the throttle and go for it.  I think I could use some pointers and one on one training. I am in southern California in the riverside county area "Temecula to be exact"  Anybody who is willing to teach I am willing to learn and throw some cash your way or trade. Always looking for more riding buddies as well.

Find someone who does training/lessons and meet up with them. It really goes a long way. I was in Los Angeles this summer doing an internship, I rented a bike 3 times out there and also bought lessons from the guy who rented to me. It really helped me a long way, and the proper techniques have definitely stuck because they make such a big difference. As far as starting out, find tracks that suit your skill level. Don't worry if your out there with a bunch of kids, you should feel safe and comfortable at all times. One of my favorite parks I went to out there was milestone mx, they have a beginner track that is great for working on techniques, and the vet track adds some bigger jumps and obstacles but was still overall very safe and fun. I'd recommend checkin' it out!

The best way to get better is to actually WANT to get better. A lot of people say they want to be faster, but they don't really mean it. Don't make excuses as to why you are doing something wrong, just fix it. You will only get back what you put in

Find every single mx riding dvd you can, transworld mx skills 1-2-3,  etc. They help alot.

Riding is easy, riding with any kind of proper technique is what is hard. You have to study it like you would in school, take notes, Bring them to the track and read them, But dont be afraid Togo ride, it takes alot of seat time toget better. Watch the expert class riders. There is alot going on in every corner and jump you need to pay attention to

And what do you mean old! I'm 26 too ;) 

Corning tip of the day LEG STRAIGHT OUT. You need to balance the bike, On any corner accept flat slippery corners you keep your body in line with the bike and leg straight out. not hovering off the ground.  I don't have many good riding pics online but here's me on a borrowed clapped out 06 crf450 having some fun, Note the leg is straight and out of the way. and i keep myself forward with my body inline with the bike looking where i want togo (not where i am)

annisrd.jpg

I could go on for days about proper fundamentals of riding. But its just something you have togo learn for yourself on the bike.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with that at all. It seems like a good way to get your knee\leg\ankle\foot jacked up if you get caught or hit something under the dirt you don't see. And having any joint in your body fully extended while riding a dirtbike just sounds like trouble. I would suggest keeping your leg high, close to the shroud and bent with your toe in so it doesn't get caught on anything. This makes it easier to put your foot on the peg also, which you should do as soon as possible.

• Like 1

I have a lot of Motocross Technique DVDs and Streams. Also have two MX Conditioning DVDs for training and nutrition and a Motocross Practice Manual. You can see free previews, order the DVDs or Streams online at: www.motocrossdvds.com 

VP-2011-Everything copy.jpg

I started motocross at 32 years of age (3 years ago), having never ridden a dirt bike before, though having a lot of racing experience with tarmac machines.

I agree with the statement GSCX said above; you've gotta want it.

I started by watching the transworld skills DVD's because they did an OK job at explaining the basics. But I think the biggest help for me was just being at the track, I practically lived at milestone. Likewise, I got to know some really fast guys and spent time watching them and learning from them. I believe that's where I figured out most of the techniques. Then of course its about adapting what you see and hear into the proper body position, which is easy to do if you just work at it. You've gotta kinda force yourself to perform the proper technique and its critical to get someone from the sidelines to shoot video OR guide you. If you can't see what you're doing wrong, you'll never know your doing it wrong, thats the biggest issue.

Yea, you're gonna crash... Yea, it may suck because the progress will be slow, especially if you crash a lot. However, I was told by everyone when I first started and now I tell everyone; the crashing does go away. Once you have a good skill set and learn how to read the track and control the bike better, your speed will increase AND your crashing will decrease. Sure, with speed, the one-off crash may break something, I have yet to be healthy for an entire year since I started motocross, but thats the sport.

I've got a great group of rider friends who have decades of experience. We ride at Pala on a regular basis and if you wish to come out, we'd all be more then happy to share in the experience and get ya going! :)

What tracks have you gone to?

Thanks again for the detailed responses. I have ridden Cahuilla creek 1 time and I have rode lake elsinore about 3 times.

In a few weeks I will hitting up Milestone. I will be easing back into riding after a 3 month layoff ( damn injuries). I will PM you and let you know if you want to meet up.

I agree with the statement GSCX said above; you've gotta want it.

Thats true... but the funny thing is, that the more you ride, the better you become, the more you are confronted with motocross the more you want it... it can completely change your lifestyle... it did to me... and even after a torn and repaired ACL (6 month ago) I'm back on the bike again and pretty much got the same confidence as before. Its all about mindset... There some very interesting books about that, how to prepare mentally and how the human mind learns new things... the last thing you wanna do when on a dirtbike is beeing worried about getting hurt all the time... use your knowledge and experience to make objective risk analys, but don't let fear be in your head while riding...

( I started riding 4 years ago, i'm 25 now... and i'm amazed at how much and fast I improved over the last two years when I started taking mx seroius...)

Thanks again for the detailed responses. I have ridden Cahuilla creek 1 time and I have rode lake elsinore about 3 times.

Cahuilla use to be awesome, most "epic" track around, but the current layout is way slow and they stopped taking care of the dirt like they use to, so it kinda sucks now. Elsinore is by far the worst track in So Cal, dirt sucks, layout sucks, its never groomed properly and its always over or substantially under watered.

I think you'll really like Milestone and Pala, those are by far my two favorite tracks in So Cal. Both feature beginner and tiered levels of advanced tracks. So you can show up, ride the beginner, have fun and then when ready, move up to the vet and then expert/main tracks. Thats how I started and now after a few years, I ride the main track at Milestone and its great. There are SOOO many other great tracks in that area; Perris, Starwest, Glen Helen, Comp Edge and The Ranch. Its so easy to diversify in So Cal. ;)

Edited by tye1138

I am 26 years old and have about 1 year of riding experience. 95% all desert riding. I just bought a new 2014 crf450 and I really want to learn to ride track with some confidence before I'm to old. I'm not worried about being the fastest I just want to learn to jump and become a better rider. When I go to the track I just feel unprepared to open the throttle and go for it. I think I could use some pointers and one on one training. I am in southern California in the riverside county area "Temecula to be exact" Anybody who is willing to teach I am willing to learn and throw some cash your way or trade. Always looking for more riding buddies as well.

You have many years ahead of you young man. I appreciate your sense of urgency since life does pass quickly. However, if you stay in good shape and don't getted fdup you could ride for another 30 yrs. I'm 44 and still love twisting the throttle and flying through the air.