Sign in to follow this  

Hefty long lasting trail riding chain for a yz250?

Hey, i have looked through the threads and have found plenty of threads for what cahin to buy, but, they are all bike specific and mostly asking about racing cains.

I need a chain with sprockets that will last a long time, i dont mind about the weight, so is steel the way to go?(idc if it is heavier as i dont jump much)

Can someone reccomend me a brand that will do chain and sprockets that will last a long time, also i live in Australia so shipping cost is a problem as there is no way im paying 50 bucks for shipping, under 20 is preferable, or i will go to my local yami dealer and see if they can get the reccomnded brand :)

2004 yz250 btw

i put on a DID nerrow enduro x-ring chain. the thing is a beats, it does not stretch at all. i have about 5 2 1/2 hour long rides on the chain, havent needed to adjust it once yet.

for the rear i put on a MSR Iron man sproket. the thing comes with a 1 year war. for pre-mature wair. pretty solid deal...big initial cost.

the front i went with you every day sunstar chromo sproket.

from what i have seen with my set-up. its solid as can be. probebly going to stick with it. maybe change up to an ironman front sproket as well.

I purchased my Regina ORN6 O-ring chain for my 03 YZ250F back in the end of my 2011 season. I also bought new Primary Drive brand steel sprockets. Picked up everything from Rocky Mountain ATV. The order was over a $99 so shipping was free. I'm sure shipping will cost more bc of your location. As to the chain I've adjusted it 3x, once after breaking it in and 2x more recently. Each time was very small increments and this is now with 45-50hrs on the chain. I ride in VERY rocky areas with plenty of mud mixed in, however I always clean the chain with a brush and soapy water post ride and hit it with chain wax to prevent rust. I have so much faith in the chain I bought another for my XR250R. Good luck!

Forgot to mention the sprockets are also in great shape, just starting to sharpen a little but no "curving" that I've noticed.

Edited by Milez6
  • Like 1

primary drive is good chain and sprockets but not as long lasting as the ironman, DID setup. That's what I run and I love it. I run the primary drive in my sons bike tho, and they work great and are strong and cheap! But don't last as long. Do t get me wrong they do last but the ironman, did setup is unbeatable. Primary drive I've realized lasts a little longer then Renthal and a good bit longer then sun star, I have always had low hours in sun star sprockets. They wear quick. But for me it's ironman and a did chain or primary drive!

Ps I used to run Renthal but primary drive lasts longer and is cheaper, but you're sacrificing a little weight, but for woods is absolutely no big deal!

There's a few top chains out there that last well above and beyond all the rest, and me personally have utmost respect for the long term strength and relibility of the Regina ORN6 ,  toughest chain out there IMO (and i've tried em all over the past 30 years) . Have a Regina on both my KX500 and my YZ144 ,  and on the KX500 i've only adjusted the chain ONCE and the chain probably has about 25 hrs on it (keep in mind that's 25 hrs from a 60 hp KX500)  . A top quality chain will also triple your sprocket life from not stretching, so even though you pay $90+ for a ORN6 , it's a prudent investment if you add the value of tripling your sprocket life...

Edited by Polar_Bus

Hey, i have looked through the threads and have found plenty of threads for what cahin to buy, but, they are all bike specific and mostly asking about racing cains.

I need a chain with sprockets that will last a long time, i dont mind about the weight, so is steel the way to go?(idc if it is heavier as i dont jump much)

Can someone reccomend me a brand that will do chain and sprockets that will last a long time, also i live in Australia so shipping cost is a problem as there is no way im paying 50 bucks for shipping, under 20 is preferable, or i will go to my local yami dealer and see if they can get the reccomnded brand :)

2004 yz250 btw

I am an Aussie and have basically the same bike as you too.

I get my stuff from RMATV.  Don't use Primary drive!  I tried their steel sprockets and the steel is too soft so they wear quickly.

I use the RK X-ring chain and Supersprox for my bike and mainly race and enduro and desert (Finke/Hattah ect) and get really good life out of them.

Sprockets

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/44/54/226/957/8999/33946/Supersprox-Rear-Steel-Sprocket

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/44/54/226/957/8999/23006/Supersprox-Front-Sprocket

Chain

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/44/54/226/1259/8999/3591/RK-520EXW-Gold-XW-RING-Chain

That chain is $180 to buy here in Aust.  So $85 is good buying (will cost about $108 with the way the Aussie dollar is plus postage)

• Like 1

DID 520 VT2

Have not had to adjust it in 90 hrs.

Yup, VT2, that's all ya need to know.

so does everyone agree that if i get this setup it will last a while?

RK 520EXW Gold XW-RING Chain 520x114

Supersprox Front Sprocket

Supersprox Rear Steel Sprocket

or is there better for a similar price?(going off Gibbit's links 2 post's up)

DID chains are top notch but terribly expensive.  I usually settle for the RK or EK, they both work well but are no DID.

so does everyone agree that if i get this setup it will last a while?

RK 520EXW Gold XW-RING Chain 520x114

Supersprox Front Sprocket

Supersprox Rear Steel Sprocket

or is there better for a similar price?(going off Gibbit's links 2 post's up)

If you don't belive me, ring Rod Faggotter from Centertune MC in Longreach.  He has won Condo 750, second at the Aust Safari and top 10 finisher at Finke and 14th at Dakar this year.  He put me onto them and swears by them.

Ironman sprockets and Primary Drive x-ring chain here.

Unbelievable life from the Ironman rear sprocket. I've never seen anything like it.

A few years ago a user on Thumpertalk here claimed to work for Rockymountain ATV said it came in on large rolls from DID.

Ironman sprockets and Primary Drive x-ring chain here.

Unbelievable life from the Ironman rear sprocket. I've never seen anything like it.

A few years ago a user on Thumpertalk here claimed to work for Rockymountain ATV said it came in on large rolls from DID.

i dont get what you mean by "on large rolls from DID"