Sign in to follow this  

Wr 250f with 290 Athena big bore kit email start not working due to oversized cams?

Hi guys I'm thinking of buying a wr 250 from a guy, has a 290 Athena big bore kit. He says the only problem with it is the email start doesn't work or fit or something because the cams are too big?? Is this possible and any advice?

what year is said WR? I have stock cams ill trade ya for the hot cams. And I'm not super familiar with the these bikes as far as pricing so I can't really speak on the price. I wouldn't pay that much I guess. Edited by MudBug20

2006,i haven't bought the bike yet just trying to figure out what the problem is first. He says the cams are too big for the electric start. Is that possible?

If the cams are made specific for the bike which im sure they are I wouldn't think so but then again like I said I'm pretty new to these motors. Does he have receipts for all this work? Maybe the starter is bad?

I think. He probably did it himself like most guys here in WA, but no he says the cams are too big to fit the e starter? They're oversized cams. But it kick starts one kick. Even I'm confused iv never heard of it. Hope someone one here has heard of it.

I think. He probably did it himself like most guys here in WA, but no he says the cams are too big to fit the e starter? They're oversized cams. But it kick starts one kick. Even I'm confused iv never heard of it. Hope someone one here has heard of it.

After market cams are "bigger" I guess with with durations and lobe size but I really have never heard of a cam for anything that would be to big for an electric start. How is a cam affecting an electric start anyway? There is something not right here.

Something is not right, but could be as simple as a battery.  I'd go look at it, if he doesn't have receipts, look the guy straight in the face and tell him he has a lot of nice parts but you doubt the quality of the work.  Offer him something much lower.  If the bike has a lot of use and he did the work himself I wouldn't offer more then $2200 if it runs good.  If the work was done by a well respected shop and it's in almost new condition the price still seams a little high.

Cams and piston have nothing to do with the e-start unless he has to run race gas or something crazy.

Edited by toadl

"bigger cams" typically have a later intake valve closing time meaning lower cranking compression. Estart shouldn't be an issue.  The problem may be the auto decomp timing.

Cheers guys. I think I'm going for a 03 wr 450f 3300$. Leo Vince pipe loud as hell

I always thought Leo Vince pipes were a quieter European pipe?  At least the ones I've heard at the races.

Edited by toadl

Could be that decompression nipple on the cam just needs that 1mm grind to fix your estart issue... I dunno tho ask a mechanic