2001 ttr225 starting issues

I have a 2001 ttr225 and I am completely stumped. I was having oil burning issues so I decided to investigate. I pulled the cylinder off and found a trashed piston and rings. I replaced them and the piston pin and all the gaskets I took off. Got it all back together and it fired up on the first turn off the starter. Ran really strong and no oil burning.

After about 8 seconds the bike shut down and made a single click. I investigated and realized that I forgot to tighten the cam shaft gear to the proper torque. It came off. I got the timing chain back in place and the engine back together but now it will not start. The starter motor engages and turns but it won't fire.

I have spark, and a new plug.

The carb was cleaned and got new jets 2 weeks ago and worked great before the new piston.

I quadruple checked that everything lines up at tdc.

I turned the fly wheel with a wrench and the valve covers off. It all seems to be operating correctly and the valves engage fully. The valves are adjusted to the spec in the manual.

I sprayed starter fluid in the spark plug hole and put the plug back in, it did not fire.

I'm about at the end of my rope with this thing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Perhaps a valve may have contacted the piston on shutdown, and now is back in spec, could have bent the valve seat a bit and now it wont seal?

How would I check for that? I also forgot to mention that if I put my hand over the exhaust I can feel it blowing air out.

You would have to take the head off and look at the valves and piston for a dent or bend. The blowing air happens with the exhaust normally, thats its job...

I had a chance this morning to take the head off and check the valves.  They look like they are seating correctly.  I put the head back on and still no go.  Also, the piston has recesses in it that look like they prevent the valves from being able to make contact with the piston.

So I was talking with a mechanic today and he recommended that I take out the spark plug and blow air into the cylinder at tdc. Air came out of the exhaust but not the carb. He said that means that I do have a bent valve even though it looks normal. I guess it can be hard to see visually. So I'm going to replace the valve and oil seal, should I also be replacing the valve guide? Its not much more work but it about doubles the parts cost on an already over budget bike. I've also not had any issues with the valves before.

I doubt the guide will need replacing, and those recesses are there and used during normal operation. Talk to the mech and he will probably say it will need it. I would try without personally though.

do a compression check dude ...compression check....

that will tell you if you bent a valve, there wont be any compression.

although it should start with ether but then run poorly and blow smoke bad.

I say you timing is still way off, it is firing in the wrong pattern,

I would take it to shop, already apart, well the seat etc so they can easily get to it to check the settings

It's fixed! I wanted to make sure to update so people in the future might be able to benefit from the post. My new exhaust valve showed up yesterday along with a new valve seal. Was able to get it in pretty easily. I made my own valve spring compressor with an aluminum tube that I cut a groove on each side with my mill. That allowed it to clear the lifter and combined with a large c-clamp it worked great. Three old valve was really bent, it needed to be persuaded out as the shaft was the part that bent.

Only problem now is that I live in Colorado and everything within 100 miles is currently under about 8 feet of water.

I forgot to add a bit of technique. The tapered shims that hold the valve spring assembly together are pretty hard to get in place and stay in place. And I didn't want to take out the cam and lifters for better access. So I covered the shims in thick grease that made them stick to the valve and it should dissolve into the oil. It was my aha moment of the day.

nice, now you just need to add a Snorkel and you can go riding!

It's fixed! I wanted to make sure to update so people in the future might be able to benefit from the post. My new exhaust valve showed up yesterday along with a new valve seal. Was able to get it in pretty easily. I made my own valve spring compressor with an aluminum tube that I cut a groove on each side with my mill. That allowed it to clear the lifter and combined with a large c-clamp it worked great. Three old valve was really bent, it needed to be persuaded out as the shaft was the part that bent.

Only problem now is that I live in Colorado and everything within 100 miles is currently under about 8 feet of water.

So what bent the valve?

So what bent the valve?

I'm no expecrt, as you probably already know, but I can only imagine that when the CAM shaft gear came off the piston struck the valve at about 4000 RPM.  There was a very faint mark on the exhaust side of the piston but it wiped off when I inspected it.  It finally dried out a bit last night and I was able to get out for about 15 minutes.  It feels a lot faster and responsive now, I havnt ridden it since I put a new piston and rings in it.  The valve thing happened directly after I did that.  It could also be that I jsut havnt ridden it in about 2 weeks.