Sign in to follow this  

yz250 vs yz 125

the biggest part of this vs is that it will be my first dirtbike, and if I get the 250 it would be a early 90 to mid 90s but if I go the 125 it would be a newer bike. wich one would be a better bike to learn on? any input is welcome. if it helps im 5'8" and about 150, and I will ride basically everything from sand to sloppy mud and tacky clay.

Yz 125! Unless you plan on going to the dunes with a paddle regularly ...reg sand with a dirt tires ok on a 125 just o paddle...the ridability power curve and over all weight 125 is the most bang for the buck 97.98.99 are the best years engine wise but can't go wrong with newer 125s you will have more fun on a newer 125 as well over older suspension and chassis of older 250s

I ride sand for the most part, Im also slowly making the move over from a quad. so I will also have that as a spare. which years hve the best power for a 125. I would probly run a 6 paddle on the 125 if I go that way. were I ride the sand gets really soft and even hard for some quads to get up some of the hills, so I really need to able to ride with a paddle. would the early model 250s be to much handle for a new rider on a dirt bike in the dirt? also really the only experience I have on a dirtbike since I was 6 was riding my friends yz250f about 6 months for bout 15-20min.

Edited by dmonster

A yz250 in the dirt is too much for a total dirtbike newbie IMO. It scared the crap out of me the first time I rode mine in the dirt.

But for sand, a 250 will be much much better. Especially soft sand. 125 feels like riding on a turd to me compared to the 250. So much less power everywhere. I have no idea how anyone can handle one of those in the sand judging by how terrible it was at climbing hills in loose dirt. If it wasn't pinned in 2nd gear, it wasn't gonna even come close to making it.

If you've been riding for a long time, try out a 250 2t on the dirt once and decide if it's gonna be too much for you. Coming from a blaster to a yz250 I thought I was gonna die the first time I rode it. 2nd time it was like riding any other bike I've owned.

Dooooo noooot paddle a 125! If u have a sand quad don't think about it twice 125 for sure best investment you will ever make ...I have ridden for 20 years 165lbs intermediate class and a 250 twosmoke is allot for even skilled riders ...arm pump city ...newer 125! I wish I never ever sold mine in fact I'm getting a yz125 because there so fun ..also for the washougal 125 dream race

Go for the 125, you'll learn so much more on it than on a 250 and they're so much more fun!

You are only 150 lbs? There is no reason to even consider the YZ250.  I'm 160 lbs and the YZ125 pulls me around really well.

Ride it for a few weeks to get used to the bike and get a handle on the basics.
If you have some extra cash, forget about pipes, reeds and other modifications.  Spend your money and time to take a motocross riding class from a local pro in your area. 
Ask around at the tracks and you'll get a good idea who gives good instruction.

Assume that any used 125 you buy needs at the minimum a new piston and a clutch even if the seller tells you "It has a fresh top-end".

sounds like you ride mostly dunes stuff if that's the case then get a 250 a 125 will die out in all that soft sand.

wich years of the 125 put out the mot power because I will ride it in the sand some, and that will only be when my other friend that will be getting one soon, wants to ride in the sand. so if I can a 125 with the most power to start with that would be great.

You were my size when i got my 01 yz125. I got tired of it in about a year and got a 02 yz250.

Save up for a 06+ yz250 imo or whatever year is the start of the SSS suspension.

The thing about a yz250(or any bike), the throttle isnt a toggle switch. You grab as much throttle as you want. You use your head and you will be fine. With a yz250, you dont have to rev it to hell to make power. It pulls off idle and you can lug it easy.

If you get a yz125, IMO get something much newer so you can sell it when you get tired.

I think when I get the money im going to get the 125. I have a few questions. in one post someone said the best years were 97,98,99. is the suspension of the 06+ and the aluminum frame worth spending the money over having the little bit better motor? and since I will be riding in the sand some, would be better with a 6 paddle tire, or one of the sand knobbie type tire?

I think when I get the money im going to get the 125. I have a few questions. in one post someone said the best years were 97,98,99. is the suspension of the 06+ and the aluminum frame worth spending the money over having the little bit better motor? and since I will be riding in the sand some, would be better with a 6 paddle tire, or one of the sand knobbie type tire?

Dooooo not paddle you're 125!! 1 bad weekend will ensue I will put money on you blowing it up with a paddle...2 the 97-99 engines have the most bark ...06 + bikes nice but don't do any thing a older bike can do..I like both steel and alum ...if it was my money I'd get 06+ and build it if you're broke get a 97+ and shin er up...yz 250 is way too much bike for a beginner no ifs ands or butts...and when u say sand riding...like big hill climbs and dunes or like a sand track and trails? ....either way don't put a paddle on just air down a bit and pin it ...125+ dunes+ paddle= blown top end possibly cylinder= about 500$ in parts to fix

ok so if shouldn't put a paddle on a 125, could I put one of those knobbies that has big lugs sepperated out like a paddle? I don't remember the brand who makes it. but could I run one of those with a lower tire pressure?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/10/476/5267/199/PITEM/Michelin-Starcross-Sand-4-Rear-Tire-2006-Honda-CRF250R-Parts.aspx?SiteId=10557879-3329601-46vjlgnzjmct&WT.MC_ID=54006

Yeah that would work better than a reg knobby in sand and is safer than a paddle...just remember pretend its a horse run it too hard too long without resting it will die! Better safe that stuck...I took my yz paddled up first ten minutes away from camp over huge dunes my bike blows and I have to tow it back..sounds simple def not pulling a bike in the sand was a pretty long two hour ordeal..got top end that night we had a matching 125 250 98s the stole the 250 and left my bike ..I'm assuming they saw me working on it and didnt want to steal a lemon lol

The dirt bike is going to help you depart from the sand and on to the track or trails where the real fun is had.  For a sand bike you need power to turn so the 250 is the best choice (got to keep the front end from digging).  But for an off-road bike the 125 is cheap and easy to start with, is an awesome and nimble track bike that will teach you the fundamentals that make you a better rider, and will be a nimble easy to ride bike to get you in to woods riding.  Too many of my friends started with a 250 as a first bike and to this day are so afraid of the bike they can't ride it at any kind of speed.

for a 125, id gear it way down to ease the motor with paddles. I'd still be afraid.

Edited by RagunCajun

for a 125, id gear it way down to ease the motor with paddles. I'd still be afraid.

ill mostly ride on trails and logging roads, the only time id take to the dunes is when me and a couple of my friends who will also have 125s go over. I will also have a banshee to most of the time in the sand. so do u think the michlen tire would be a good tire to run on it for when I do take it?