Sign in to follow this  

Crunched clutch cover, bits of rock in engine...uh oh

Hello all,

Firstly, you all have been so very helpful in my DRZ ownership experience. Many thanks. Also, I kinda suck at the proper names for things, so if I don't know I will try to describe it. If this problem hasn't been covered before I'd be surprised, but I couldn't find anything with a search. Am I the first person in history to end up with dirt where the sun don't shine? (Don't answer that.)

So my ex-boyfriend crashed my DRZ400S (hence the "ex" part), smashed the clutch cover, and introduced bits of shredded clutch basket and tiny, tiny rocks into the ____ (space filled with oil where the clutch parts go. Right side crank case?). The engine was running for a few second after the crash I think, sucking more crap into her unmentionables. Super. I removed the side cover and, sure enough, there were all sorts of little hard gravelly bits in there and aluminium from the clutch basket. I cleaned what I could, but there are still clearly bits of crap hanging around. Should I remove all those little sprocketty gear things in there for a deeper clean or will that just risk further contamination of the left side? A friend suggested hanging the bike up leaning slightly to the right, and gently spraying kerosene or WD40 into the ____ (previously mentioned clutchy oil compartment area). I was gonna take off the left side cover, but was told not to bother, I wouldn't be able to access much. True? My thought is to keep spraying until the bits are not coming out any more. Then spray s'more while employing an assistant to slowly and carefully hand-crank the engine to listen for cruchy, scrapey noises (this part scares the piss out of me and may be wildly off base. Please save me from myself). Then spray some more. When I am feeling good about the efficacy, pour a bunch of cheap oil through it to make sure it comes out free and clear of debris. Then some more. Only then will I replace the clutch, slap it all back togther, add oil and coolant and cross my fingers. Or just accept the engine is &*#@ed.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Anything would be appreciated.

Post some picts, all angles, lots of light, clear focus, close ups and a few shots back. That will help us help you.

Flushing the engine with kerosene is not a bad idea...I would pull both side covers to do so... and have 4 cheap qts of oil and two filters on hand.

Post some picts, all angles, lots of light, clear focus, close ups and a few shots back. That will help us help you.

Flushing the engine with kerosene is not a bad idea...I would pull both side covers to do so... and have 4 cheap qts of oil and two filters on hand.

+1

Pull the engine side covers and flush the lower case with kerosene/diesel/mineral spirits/gasoline... I wouldn’t use WD-40 just because you want to “fill” the case with some sort of liquid to wash away any contaminants.  Just make sure that after flushing the engine thoroughly to refill the lower case/engine with oil (cheap) as soon as your done.  Run the engine (with new oil and filter) for a bit and then drain it.  If you don’t see any contaminants in the oil/oil filter/oil screen you can go ahead and put in the oil of your choice and a new filter.  You could also flush again with cheap oil if needed.

Jane, if there are broken bits from the clutch basket yur gonna need more than a flush. Do you have the resources to remove and fix the broken bits?

Flushing with kerosene is a good idea. It is basically really thin oil. Used to know a guy who actually would run a long-idle and neglected engine with kerosene to "flush" the crud. He would always check the oil pump after. Don't wanna pump the crusty bits into the rest of the engine.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks everyone! I took off (half) of the left side cover (no 30mm socket fer the sprocket, but will go pick one up tomorrow). I flushed and flushed and was not finding any other bits of crap and so slowly and carefully hand-cranked the engine and heard no scraping or grinding. I am aware that this does not imply a lack of scrape and grind in the future if I ain't thorough now. I will letcha know how it went when I fire 'er up after lots of flushing. TT Case Savers on the way too. I don't have any "before" pictures, just my post-clean which probably aren't very helpful. I'm a neophyte and am not really sure what is relevant, but here ya go with a pic of each side of the engine. Thanks again,

Emily