Siezed Exhaust Bolt = Damaged Head Mount :(

Hi All,

Not a good weekend for me icon_cry.gif, hoping someone can help?

My new Yoshi RS2 arrived Friday (pic below) really impressed with the quality compared to my scorpion looks wise icon_e_biggrin.gif

spacer.gif
spacer.gifTheValeofGlamorgan-20130907-01011.jpg

So I then went to remove the scorpion exhaust (been on for 5 Years), the outer header bolt came out ok, the inner one however was a different storey, see end result:

spacer.gifTheValeofGlamorgan-20130907-01013.jpg

spacer.gif
spacer.gifTheValeofGlamorgan-20130907-01012.jpg

spacer.gifTheValeofGlamorgan-20130907-01014.jpg

I assume/hope that as its not the mating face for the header I can remove the head and get the bolt surround ali welded back on?

On the bright side I don't think I will be going only hotcams next, I am now thinking cylinder works big bore & hotcam's to make the most of a bad situation icon_twisted.gif (was toying with going this route anyway so TBH I think this has now made up my mind)

The bike has only covered 7k miles and been oil changed every 600-800 miles ish, so I am assuming/hoping bottom end is good for the above (didn't want to be going there really)

Any thoughts/advice on the above, particularly head repair would be much appreciated?

Thanks Steve
Last edited by j1sgo on Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edited by j1sgo

Hi All,

Not a good weekend for me icon_cry.gif, hoping someone can help?

My new Yoshi RS2 arrived Friday (pic below) really impressed with the quality compared to my scorpion looks wise icon_e_biggrin.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gifTheValeofGlamorgan-20130907-01011.jpg

So I then went to remove the scorpion exhaust (been on for 5 Years), the outer header bolt came out ok, the inner one however was a different storey, see end result:

spacer.gifTheValeofGlamorgan-20130907-01013.jpg

spacer.gif

spacer.gifTheValeofGlamorgan-20130907-01012.jpg

spacer.gifTheValeofGlamorgan-20130907-01014.jpg

I assume/hope that as its not the mating face for the header I can remove the head and get the bolt surround ali welded back on?

On the bright side I don't think I will be going only hotcams next, I am now thinking cylinder works big bore & hotcam's to make the most of a bad situation icon_twisted.gif (was toying with going this route anyway so TBH I think this has now made up my mind)

The bike has only covered 7k miles and been oil changed every 600-800 miles ish, so I am assuming/hoping bottom end is good for the above (didn't want to be going there really)

Any thoughts/advice on the above, particularly head repair would be much appreciated?

Thanks Steve

Last edited by j1sgo on Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

order head /base gaskets this morning, then pull the head and take it to a machine shop. they'll charge you the shop minimum to drill out the stud and chase the threads if it's needed. more than likely $50 for the work, then $50 for the head/base gaskets. get the copper spray at autozone/wherever. 

inspect the cylinder, piston and con rod while it's apart. are the rings rolled over ? 

also, the head is off, check the valve lash and get it refreshed if needed. (eddie for that)

you'll have a very nice running bike again, oh wait...

yosh pipe ? ya, sell that to someone that thinks LOUD = POWER and get the sisneros / mrd pipe instead. 

then ride :)

Regards to the machine shop do you think welding the mount back to the head once stud is removed will be achievable then?

I will be changing the cylinder & rings and checking valves etc when doing bb & hotcam installation.

What gaskets should I use, S or E gaskets, the E base gasket is better isn't it?

I bought the yosh to not be loud, I do a lot of off-roading so couldn't get away with a SSW/MRD unfortunately, I like the look of the rs2 too.

Edited by j1sgo

A competent welder/ metal fabricator can repair that head. Only you after some local research in your area will know if it's worth the cost vs buying a new/used head.

A competent welder/ metal fabricator can repair that head. Only you after some local research in your area will know if it's worth the cost vs buying a new/used head.

Thanks, I was hoping that would be the answer as I know a good metal fabricating company, just need to get the bolt out of the snapped bit tonight, then head off bike tomorrow night ;)

If I order the CW BB kit and hotcams stage 2 I should then have everything I need for the re-build including base gasket, is that correct?

Edited by j1sgo