parting ways

The Hi-Yu trail thread got me thinking,(specially since I will be selling both my bikes soon), of some fond memories when I have parted ways with a bike. Maybe 4x (far to many if you ask me), have i actually let go of the handle bars and thought. "go your own way, hopefully i will see you again."  Actually it was more like, "you &%$#@!ing piece of shit that is trying to kill me.  I am done with you!"

The first was 5 minutes (actually less) into my first ride on my new-to-me yz250.  I won't tell you where/what trail it was on because it is FAR to embarrassing.  Hopping over some waterbars not having a clue what it meant to ride a 2t.  Whiskey Throttle and launch into the air.  Almost slow motion as I let go of the handle bars...fly, be free.  Limped back to the truck with a sore wrist, no front brake, and the fear of getting into something i wasn't ready for nor wanted.

Another time was simply making sure the bike stayed on the trail as I started to fall over going down a switchback.  Started to fall over downhill side so pushed off "stay, stay there!!" on the bike since i couldn't save it.  Bike stayed on the trail as I tumbled a fair distance down the hillside.  I think a tree saved me from a continued tumble.

Lastly two are pretty much the same.  Very tiring day of riding.  Should have finished miles ago but "someone" always wants to push on and get another few trails in.  Bullying the bike down an incredibly hard section.  She starts to slip and I just don't have the energy to save the bike.  Release the handle bars and see how far she can make it down the trail on her own. "Bitch, I'll see you at the bottom".

Hmmmm, fond memories.  Nothing a 2t won't do.  She's a wicked beast. Maybe a 4t would be kinder to me?

• Like 1

I've had one good "get off" this year. Was racing at a local track -my first race every, actually- I came down a double, followed the left turn, and headed into a woops section. For some reason the bars went from the right to left lock, high sided, and sent my 130lb arse flying through the air. Landed hard on my lower left back and got the wind knocked outta me. Ended up cracking/bending the pipe, cracking a radiator, and the destroying the left # plate. Unfortunately nobody got it on video. I would've loved to see how it all happened.

I had a parting of ways on Peaches one day. I was at speed going down hill when I clipped a bar on a snag. It folded my front end instantly and pitched me up in the air. I was up pretty high as I went over the edge and I really thought I had done it now. I saw my bike go over the side and karrang a couple trees below me.....then I landed heels first into the sidehill. Somehow missed all the bad places to land, and hit in a grassy patch about 15' or so below the trail. It seemed like I flew forever.  Getting the bike back up didn't turn out to bad...Schrode is a good guy to take along ?

• Like 6

I saw the 5 minute ride n launch as I was following behind and from my vantage point it looked pretty damn good, really liked the way the bike arched and twisted to the left trying to separate itself from you, kind on reminded me of a bull trying to shuck the rider and the way you skidded over the ground arms and legs flailing like a cat trying to get traction on ice was absolutely delightful to view.

And how can I forget the sound of YZ frame tinking off rock as it tumbled over the edge and into the brush, simply magnificent!

Always enjoy riding with you Inspects, dude you make me smile?  :applause:

Motomike111, your comment "Say, who is the "someone" who is always pushing you into those conundrums" gives Inspects the opportunity to point his finger at anyone of the 4 of us

Edited by Rider 41

Inspects, for what it's worth we have all been there. Not sure what it is but we keep coming back for more and as I remember every time we dive into one of the many trails leading to a questionable outcome you sure never hesitate to jump in with both feet. Always a pleasure having ya in the group. I'm sure I'm guilty of some interesting trail selections you mentioned. Lets do it again. Next ride will be a easy one on bike and body, I promise...hehe

So what is this 4t your thinking of?

Edited by Enduroguy

Motomike111, your comment "Say, who is the "someone" who is always pushing you into those conundrums" gives Inspects the opportunity to point his finger at anyone of the 4 of us

Haha, Problem is I'm remembering a few long trails we went a little too far on....

On second thought, I think you're onto something.... It's got to be Enduroguy, it's all his fault!  :D

The Hi-Yu trail thread got me thinking,(specially since I will be selling both my bikes soon), of some fond memories when I have parted ways with a bike. Maybe 4x (far to many if you ask me), have i actually let go of the handle bars and thought. "go your own way, hopefully i will see you again."  Actually it was more like, "you &%$#@!ing piece of shit that is trying to kill me.  I am done with you!"

The first was 5 minutes (actually less) into my first ride on my new-to-me yz250.  I won't tell you where/what trail it was on because it is FAR to embarrassing.  Hopping over some waterbars not having a clue what it meant to ride a 2t.  Whiskey Throttle and launch into the air.  Almost slow motion as I let go of the handle bars...fly, be free.  Limped back to the truck with a sore wrist, no front brake, and the fear of getting into something i wasn't ready for nor wanted.

Another time was simply making sure the bike stayed on the trail as I started to fall over going down a switchback.  Started to fall over downhill side so pushed off "stay, stay there!!" on the bike since i couldn't save it.  Bike stayed on the trail as I tumbled a fair distance down the hillside.  I think a tree saved me from a continued tumble.

Lastly two are pretty much the same.  Very tiring day of riding.  Should have finished miles ago but "someone" always wants to push on and get another few trails in.  Bullying the bike down an incredibly hard section.  She starts to slip and I just don't have the energy to save the bike.  Release the handle bars and see how far she can make it down the trail on her own. "Bitch, I'll see you at the bottom".

Hmmmm, fond memories.  Nothing a 2t won't do.  She's a wicked beast. Maybe a 4t would be kinder to me?

I can relate as my whiskey throttle after going to the 300 EXC was just documented from two perspectives on TT recently.  In some ways my WR250F is more fun to ride because I'm not too worried about the throttle getting me into trouble, but the KTM is so good at getting me out of trouble when the going gets ugly.  I have thought about getting a control throttle so a slight accidental roll on doesn't put me into a tree, again.  Are you just selling to upgrade? I hope you're not doing the sane thing and giving it up.