Sign in to follow this  

A funny/scary/sad blunder I encountered

I have a customer who purchased a used bike for his son to transition to off 85's..and the previous owner is a "suspension" guy.  Not sure if he does it for friends or just himself etc..but he gave my customer a big long lecture on how he has been doing it for years etc etc and how my customer should use him.

Very nice guy, he showed him all his notes on the history of the bike - very detailed service records as well as the racetech set up sheet he was currently running in the bike.

The customer rode the bike for quite a while - and outwardly the forks looks insanely soft.  They would bottom so hard you could hear them clack 100 yards away on small 3 foot drops etc...and they looked like pogo sticks to me...but I looked at the set up sheet the previous owner said was installed and it didn't add up...the forks were supposed to have been freshly serviced just prior to the sale.

Eventually the customer wanted us to do them for his kid - and upon tear down this is what I found.

In case it's not obvious in the photo - the check plate is not functional (too small OD) - allowing full bypass of the base valve.  

It astonishes me people can do this...

IMG_2754.JPG

Im told the guy has attended multiple of the RT schools too...wow.  Sometimes you just cant fix stupid.

Im told the guy has attended multiple of the RT schools too...wow.  Sometimes you just cant fix stupid.

Ha ha Correct.  It wasn't Paul Thede was it?

Bad joke? ;)

Ha ha Correct.  It wasn't Paul Thede was it?

Bad joke? ;)

ha I have a lot of respect for paul - I may not always agree with his set ups but as a business man he has been brilliant.

ha I have a lot of respect for paul - I may not always agree with his set ups but as a business man he has been brilliant.

Pretty much everything I know was from Paul, and that's probably 1% of what he knows about suspension.  Very good business man.

Somebody needs glasses.

Someone could have gotten a ride in an ambulance with that one.

Whats even worse is I highly doubt this is the only set up out there like this..

Anyways - all fixed now.  I had to look hard for that shim!  I don't stock the check shim haha