Sign in to follow this  

how do i get this off?!?

@eddie8v thats what i was just thinking lol, ive decided to just take it to the bike shop out here and have them just pop it off real quick. thanks for answering though!

That requires a spanner wrench or that socket type posted above... You could put a flat head screwdriver on it and tap it with a hammer too.

I would use my angle grinder on a ½" socket and make my own tool. Making stuff is fun, and you don't have to wait for stuff to be delivered.

You should see my DIY tool for the rear wheel bearings. It's not pretty by it works perfect!

I would use my angle grinder on a ½" socket and make my own tool. Making stuff is fun, and you don't have to wait for stuff to be delivered.

You should see my DIY tool for the rear wheel bearings. It's not pretty by it works perfect!

Dude no! Big flat tip and hammer works great!

everything had regular nuts tell i ran into this.

I just replaced my bearings last week, saw a video of a guy doing this and had no problems

Getting it off would not be a problem without the proper tool, but I would think getting it torqued back on right would be. Personally I'd make a tool or buy one

My .02

Jim

• Like 1

Getting it off would not be a problem without the proper tool, but I would think getting it torqued back on right would be. Personally I'd make a tool or buy one

My .02

Jim

The hammer and big flat head, same effect as a impact gun without the socket made for it or the impact gun. Getting it torqued back? Unless you stick somethin in there to get the gears from turning and risk messing up one of the teeth, it's just going to turn the motor over. Goodluck torquing that. Once again I did this last week. Worked perfect.

My .02

The hammer and big flat head, same effect as a impact gun without the socket made for it or the impact gun. Getting it torqued back? Unless you stick somethin in there to get the gears from turning and risk messing up one of the teeth, it's just going to turn the motor over. Goodluck torquing that. Once again I did this last week. Worked perfect.

My .02

This nut does have a proper torque. Im 35 minutes away from my manual or i would provide the torque. As far as chipping a gear? Unless your a hack your not going to chip a gear. there are several bolts/nuts that cannot be tightened to the correct torque without locking the botten end in some way to do it. Ive used anything from a rag bundle to a penny to securely lock my bottom end before. The main bolt on the end of the crank torques to 90ft/lb. there is no possible way to obtain that torque without locking the gears together. and as far as an impact gun?? HA you can loosen whatever you want with one but never retighten anything on these motors with an impact

This nut does have a proper torque. Im 35 minutes away from my manual or i would provide the torque. As far as chipping a gear? Unless your a hack your not going to chip a gear. there are several bolts/nuts that cannot be tightened to the correct torque without locking the botten end in some way to do it. Ive used anything from a rag bundle to a penny to securely lock my bottom end before. The main bolt on the end of the crank torques to 90ft/lb. there is no possible way to obtain that torque without locking the gears together. and as far as an impact gun?? HA you can loosen whatever you want with one but never retighten anything on these motors with an impact

I could careless how far you are away from your manual. What I don't get is why half y'all would go buy a socket when you can do the same job with the tools you have. Thought the whole point of this sight was to do it yourself and save cash. One dude said take it to the shop and get then take it off and put it back on, why don't you just have them do the whole job then. And you can shove whatever you want in your motor idgas.

I could careless how far you are away from your manual. What I don't get is why half y'all would go buy a socket when you can do the same job with the tools you have. Thought the whole point of this sight was to do it yourself and save cash. One dude said take it to the shop and get then take it off and put it back on, why don't you just have them do the whole job then. And you can shove whatever you want in your motor idgas.

I can tell your one of those hacks. The point of this site is to do it urself and DO IT RIGHT. Some stuff you just can't do with the common hackman tools. Ill take a bolt out anyway it will come but it always goes back together with a torque wrench. I am excited for you to change your timing chain with basic tools. Infact I can't wait for your bike to get about 10 hours on it after you have the fly wheel off of it. Ever seen a connecting rod bomb? You will........the propper tools is the only difference between a quality mechanic and a HACK

I can tell your one of those hacks. The point of this site is to do it urself and DO IT RIGHT. Some stuff you just can't do with the common hackman tools. Ill take a bolt out anyway it will come but it always goes back together with a torque wrench. I am excited for you to change your timing chain with basic tools. Infact I can't wait for your bike to get about 10 hours on it after you have the fly wheel off of it. Ever seen a connecting rod bomb? You will........the propper tools is the only difference between a quality mechanic and a HACK

Timing chain? That's the counter balancer nut. And i got thw idea from multiple sources that recommended it. But yeah you know what your talking about and I usually use a torque wrench. Already put about eight hours on her and she's ripping. Great convo man. imma let you get back to doing doughnuts though champ.
  • Like 1

What bike is that?

From the photo it looks like the nut on the balance shaft gear.

The newer bikes I'm familiar with have a nut there.

Maybe once you get it off you can replace it with a nut from a 09 up.

A punch an hammer will work fine to remove it and even replace it.

Saving cash/time is one of the best things about TT posts and that's one of the reasons I posted.

While often there are short cuts you can take, there's also times when taking a short cut can be penny wise and pound foolish.

Personally, I would not skip using a torque wrench on any internal bolt/nut, especially on a high reving motor like the CRF's, which can cost hundreds (if not thousands) to repair if something lets loose.

Are you safe?  Probably.  I mean you know how much force it took to come off.   But are you really sure?  No.   This is one case where a 20 or 30 dollar socket can buy piece of mind and potentially save a lot of money in repairs.    Or has been said, take a socket and grind it down and make your own.   Or has been said, replace it with a high grade nut.  What is that, maybe 4 bucks?

Jim.

Wow... I work as a mechanic on high speed high end forking presses ... Listen to MX450R and Jim they are correct. when you get into your engine or anywhere around it definatly and I mean DEFINATLY use a torque wrench!! It is very important, even being 10-15 ft lbs light in a bolt can cause it to come loose due to vibrations. every bolt out there has a torque rating AND limit... yes folks you can over torque a bolt and it'll fail even quicker, probably by snapping the head off. And I torque stuff all day long so I have a pretty good idea what 50 ft lbs feels like, but I'm not always right, I've tested myself, so how can someone that doesn't do it everyday have an idea what 75 ft lbs or 90 ft lbs feels like? Goin by how hard it came off is not a good example... usually we loosen things by pulling up, and tighten pushing down as per habit of most people and their completely different motions. It also will not hurt to lock up the bottom end to keep the motor from turning, very necessary in fact at time. And trust me I'm all for the backyard fixes to save money, but not when it comes to certain things...