KDX200 clutch removal

Hello,

I'm new to dirt bikes, however I am mechanically inclined as I have worked on and restored cars for quite some time.

I just picked up a 1986 KDX200 via trade. its in pretty rough shape but I like a project and want to restore it. I have the head off and plan on rebuilding the top end. id also lile to do the same with the bottom end, as the previous owner said the clutch was having problems. He said a bearing was junk in the clutch assembly but i'm going to assume more will need replacing.

So, how do I get remove the clutch and the output gear. when i put the 1 1/16 ratchet on the clutch bolt and a wrench on the output gear to stop it from spinning i can feel the bolt turn but its not un threading - almost like something is spinning inside.

Any ideas on how to remove it as well as overhaul the bottom end would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Impact gun

impact gun with a soft piece of wood jammed into the primary drive gear (crank) and clutch hub.

Got the clutch off with the impact gun.  thanks for the tip.

What are the normal parts on the bottom end that would fail?  I want to replace anything that typically wears out. The previous owner said the clutch has a bad bearing but didn't say which bearing. Is there one that usually goes bad on these?

thanks

Depending upon use/abuse, the kdx is probably the most durable 2 strokes made. IIRC, theres only 1 bearring on the clutch hub. Keep the powervalve clean. top end fresh, change the fluids regularly. There are kdx's with 30k on original motors with only an occasional piston replacement.

thanks for the replys

So, I spent some time checking everything inside the crank case and looking at a diagram to see if anything was broken or missing. Everything seems to spin freely, however for some reason that I cannot figure out, the previous owner used a ton of RTV to attach the clutch pusher to the bearing and clutch holder. It was like one ball of RTV holding them together. I cant see how that makes sense to do that as the bearing wouldn't spin inside the clutch holder this way.

Has anyone seen something like this before? Shouldn't the pusher and bearing spin freely inside the clutch holder?

thanks again

thanks for the replys

So, I spent some time checking everything inside the crank case and looking at a diagram to see if anything was broken or missing. Everything seems to spin freely, however for some reason that I cannot figure out, the previous owner used a ton of RTV to attach the clutch pusher to the bearing and clutch holder. It was like one ball of RTV holding them together. I cant see how that makes sense to do that as the bearing wouldn't spin inside the clutch holder this way.

Has anyone seen something like this before? Shouldn't the pusher and bearing spin freely inside the clutch holder?

thanks again

it should, you certainly don't need silicone holding all that together. Very odd