Flywheel Weight Vs. Weighted Flywheel

Hi,

I'm new to the forum but have been riding for 30+ years! I have quads and snowmobiles too.

I just picked up a 2006 CRF 450R and wanted to make it more trail friendly. I have read many threads on the subject and see that increasing the flywheel weight makes a big difference. I see two ways of doing it: a heavy flywheel at a cost of about $180 or a flywheel weight that you attach to your stock flywheel at a cost of about $105. Any pros and cons for each set-up would be appreciated.

Thanks, John

Edited by Mech Engr

Hey John. I am not 100% sure But i would think they were the same. I have a heavier flywheel on my 03 for the light kit I installed, and what a diff. I love that bike now more than ever in the tight single track stuff. 

I put a 13 oz on my 02 , and it really make it work better for trail riding.

A one-piece solution is going to be more reliable.

Otherwise I don't see how there can be any difference.

A longer throw throttle is a much better option, in my opinion.....it makes a huge difference in control.

I put them on all my MX bikes and keep the flywheel weight stock.

http://www.g2ergo.com/store/g2-dirt-tamer/

I do the complete opposite on my 4-stroke MX bikes, I run the G2 quick-turn aluminum tubes to speed up the throttle action, which also means you don't have to turn the throttle as far to get to WOT: much easier on my old-man wrists... 4-strokes are far less sensitive to throttle input than 2-strokes, plus they are more linear in nature, with x% throttle only able to give you a certain amount of power and rpm; a 2-stroke can act a little crazy with even just a little of throttle input, or "pipey", when in the powerband and even a little throttle opening can be too much when "on the pipe"!

http://www.g2ergo.com/store/g2-quick-turn-throttle-tube/

Edited by Eddie8v

Another huge fan of the G2 throttle system, biggest and best change you can get for a $100 bucks!

got the +13oz for my 08 off road race bike.. really changed it for the better in the woods. I have ridden my 04 since late 2005.. well over 1200 hrs (multiple builds) of woods and some harescrambles. I finally broke down and purchased a +13oz for that bike (used mostly for just "practice/training") and didn't understand how i waited that long. Really like it for offroad.

I do the complete opposite on my 4-stroke MX bikes, I run the G2 quick-turn aluminum tubes to speed up the throttle action, which also means you don't have to turn the throttle as far to get to WOT: much easier on my old-man wrists... 4-strokes are far less sensitive to throttle input than 2-strokes, plus they are more linear in nature, with x% throttle only able to give you a certain amount of power and rpm; a 2-stroke can act a little crazy with even just a little of throttle input, or "pipey", when in the powerband and even a little throttle opening can be too much when "on the pipe"!

http://www.g2ergo.com/store/g2-quick-turn-throttle-tube/

Well, my motors are camm'ed with stage three porting, so I need the slower throttle.....

Well, my motors are camm'ed with stage three porting, so I need the slower throttle.....

I run the quick-turn tubes with Ron's porting, Ron's cam and an HC piston = 60+hp on top but with super-gobs of low-mid as well: if I could find a faster-turn tube I would buy it. Everyone who buys a bike from me gets the same tube, try it, you'll like it! I build/ride a lot of modified CR500AF so I am used to throttle control.

Why don't you just tweak the EFI spark and fuel for a mellower hit where you'd like it?

Edited by Eddie8v