Off topic. Spot checks for smog in CA

California

I saw something yesterday very strange. I was heading out to work and there was something like a sobriety checkpoint except it was for smog. 

This one had no warning sign. Merging traffic to single lane and randomly choosing cars. There was an official with a sniffer, portable dynamometer, and a cop pulling you in. I remember seeing something like this in the 70's and 80's. I was lucky I didn't get pulled in. My truck would have passed but it would have made me late for work.

I'm hoping that they start pulling in these diesel pickup trucks that are spewing out black smoke. It seems to be popular to remove the cat, add a chip and tweak the fuel injection to gain HP on these newer diesel trucks that don't require smog checks for registration. OTOH, why would they be pulling in a car? You can't get the car registered without a smog. I guess people must be finding a loophole around that too. 

I saw something yesterday very strange. I was heading out to work and there was something like a sobriety checkpoint except it was for smog.

This one had no warning sign. Merging traffic to single lane and randomly choosing cars. There was an official with a sniffer, portable dynamometer, and a cop pulling you in. I remember seeing something like this in the 70's and 80's. I was lucky I didn't get pulled in. My truck would have passed but it would have made me late for work.

I'm hoping that they start pulling in these diesel pickup trucks that are spewing out black smoke. It seems to be popular to remove the cat, add a chip and tweak the fuel injection to gain HP on these newer diesel trucks that don't require smog checks for registration. OTOH, why would they be pulling in a car? You can't get the car registered without a smog. I guess people must be finding a loophole around that too.

Smog check is every two years... Doesn't mean your car won't ever have a problem between those, or that you've modified your car to be non-CARB compliant

You complain about bs in a dirt bike riding forum, but you post this crap, hypocrisy at it finest

You complain about bs in a dirt bike riding forum, but you post this crap, hypocrisy at it finest

I did say off topic…. But yes, I must agree. Did I mention they were pulling in plated dirt bikes too?

I drive a diesel with no cat and 5" straight exhaust...no smoke,and if these other diesel owners had their trucks properly tuned you would see next to no smoke if any at all.

I'd be willing to make a bet the coal rollers you speak of are in Dodges!

I did say off topic…. But yes, I must agree. Did I mention they were pulling in plated dirt bikes too?

Just giving you shit

Just giving you shit

That's what I figured! It's cool, I get to ride with some of the guys giving me shit this weekend!

Yes I have seen these "registration/smog checks" randomly here in SCV. Never had to stop at one though. They can call it whatever they want but it is just an excuse to stop whoever they want for whatever they want. DUI, smog, tags, drivers license, ect...

As for the smoky diesel comment, what you are seeing is crappy tuning! My ford is tuned, runs hard and doesn't smoke much at all, mostly a grey haze if any on a hot tune. The cat removed will not make any difference at all on the smoke output, but removing one is a BIG ticket I hear! My kitty is staying on!

Just giving you shit

Your such a giver.  Give, give, give, give, give, give. :p   You racing Sunday?

Bureaucracy at its finest.  Probably dreamed up to raise revenue with violations.  CARB is self funded.  How were vehicles being chosen?  Where was this?

Bureaucracy at its finest.  Probably dreamed up to raise revenue with violations.  CARB is self funded.  How were vehicles being chosen?  Where was this?

Not sure how they were choosing them. There was a Corvette in the line up when I passed through. It was on westbound Baker St just west of Bristol in Costa Mesa around 1400hrs.

Yes I have seen these "registration/smog checks" randomly here in SCV. Never had to stop at one though. They can call it whatever they want but it is just an excuse to stop whoever they want for whatever they want. DUI, smog, tags, drivers license, ect...

As for the smoky diesel comment, what you are seeing is crappy tuning! My ford is tuned, runs hard and doesn't smoke much at all, mostly a grey haze if any on a hot tune. The cat removed will not make any difference at all on the smoke output, but removing one is a BIG ticket I hear! My kitty is staying on!

I hear ya'.  I drive for a living and see at least a few of the loud, black spewing, diesel trucks every day. My buddy has one of them. His truck has unreal torque and HP at the cost of a straight pipe and raw fuel pouring out of the thing!

Your such a giver. Give, give, give, give, give, give. :p You racing Sunday?

Since this is off topic, I'm not sure yet ken. Funds are low

I think there are a few places in CA that don't have smog testing to get your vehicle registered. Pretty sure Lake county is one of them. I was shocked to hear that when I lived in Sonoma.

Edited by MXRider72

Chris was it CMPD ?

I know Baker St well...  sure didn't realize the area was a hot bed of illegal smog cars...  Ha Ha.

It might be ethnic based profiling.  There is a poor neighborhood along Baker between Fairview and Harbor Blvd.  The white man and the Costa Mesa Gestapo might be overstepping.  I know they will use ANY method to revenue drivers in that area...  but random smog checks seems to me to most likely affect the poor in that area.  

The last straw for me to leave OC after 30 years was when Huntington Beach announced mandatory CHIPPING of dogs in the city limits.  Even if Fido was 15 years old and never left your yard they were starting house to house checks before I left.  First stop was a warning...  after that a fine to add to the city's broke checking account.

Civilization is way over rated.

That's what I figured! It's cool, I get to ride with some of the guys giving me shit this weekend!

...MAJOR shit, too.

I predict most will say that crazy Chris is pretty cool...  a few may still think he's NUTZ but harmless.  :lol:

Wired differently YES...  but who isn't ?  Still a great guy none-the-less ! :thumbsup:

Amen!

If my wife and I could have our jobs in another state we certainly would. As it is, we want to move to Green Valley, but we missed our chance when the market was super low.

Chris was it CMPD ?

I know Baker St well...  sure didn't realize the area was a hot bed of illegal smog cars...  Ha Ha.

It might be ethnic based profiling.  There is a poor neighborhood along Baker between Fairview and Harbor Blvd.  The white man and the Costa Mesa Gestapo might be overstepping.  I know they will use ANY method to revenue drivers in that area...  but random smog checks seems to me to most likely affect the poor in that area.  

The last straw for me to leave OC after 30 years was when Huntington Beach announced mandatory CHIPPING of dogs in the city limits.  Even if Fido was 15 years old and never left your yard they were starting house to house checks before I left.  First stop was a warning...  after that a fine to add to the city's broke checking account.

I let all of my dogs run the streets so they can get scooped up by Animal Control and get low cost vet care. Beats paying retail for vet bills :banana:

Not only that...but the dood breaks rules and rides illegal all the time but wants to see other people get busted for doing illegal shit  :naughty:  :naughty:  :naughty:  :lame:  :lame:  :lame:

If I got stopped by one of those things I would be pissed off and raise hell. DUI checkpoints are bs too.

I think there are a few places in CA that don't have smog testing to get your vehicle registered. Pretty sure Lake county is one of them. I was shocked to hear that when I lived in Sonoma.

I know Needles CA is one of them. Brawley might be too.

Since this is off topic, I'm not sure yet ken. Funds are low

Youre not backing out Pooh-Sea. You already said youre in done deal.