Sign in to follow this  

2013 piston change

Hi I've got 22hrs on my 13 now and was wondering when you guys were changing your pistons. I know it said 15hrs in the manual but is that a bit over kill for a mid- front pack B rider. Also heard a few storys about the piston cracking about 25hrs  but only hearsay. As a clue I used to change them about 30 hrs on my old Hondas.

Pls let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

4 strokes last forever if maintained well. Like valves in spec, oil always changed, air filter always clean. I had a 2011 kx250f, over 100 hours and only had to adjust the valves once, and never rebuilt it and it still rode perfect.

4 strokes last forever if maintained well. Like valves in spec, oil always changed, air filter always clean. I had a 2011 kx250f, over 100 hours and only had to adjust the valves once, and never rebuilt it and it still rode perfect.

Oil and filter changed every 3-4 rides mx so about 3-4 hrs air filter every ride valve clearances checked every 10 ish hrs

I wouldn't worry about rebuilding it then. If your bike is still running strong, has good compression, I wouldn't worry about it

yea 15 hours is a bit excessive unless you are a top a class rider who is on the rev limit  most of the time.

Hi I've got 22hrs on my 13 now and was wondering when you guys were changing your pistons. I know it said 15hrs in the manual but is that a bit over kill for a mid- front pack B rider. Also heard a few storys about the piston cracking about 25hrs  but only hearsay. As a clue I used to change them about 30 hrs on my old Hondas.

Thanks

Has anyone else heard of these horror storys of the pistons failing at around  25hs or is this a local rumour

Thanks

Thanks

Cylinder Works reccomends a change every 20 hours for the forged pistons used in race conditions.