Sign in to follow this  

First CR500

I guess you could call it an impulse buy.  Found a 1990 that is rough but the price was right and it even came with a spare motor 95% complete.  Biggest issue with the bike is that the transmission is stuck in 5th gear.....but you can still shift thru all the other ones, even nutrual, but still stays in 5th.  Obviously its going to have to come apart but does anyone have any ideas what would cause this?  I did have it running once I got it home so the engine part is alright.

It is stuck in 5th gear, however I can operate the gearshift and feel it going into the other gears like normal.  I know it sounds strange but that's what its doing.

This is what the previous owner told me it stuck in.  Also, when the bike is just idling the front sprocket is turning really fast.  I took off the chain. 

Front sprocket? Its not supposd to turn unless your moving, and its not aupposed to have a chain on it.. And so how do you know it isnt shifting?

I think what he is saying is that the drive sprocket, or front sprocket, is spinning fast in relation to engine RPM. Apparently he does not have a chain on the bike and with the clutch out, and the engine idling, the drive sprocket is spinning quickly. This would be a good indication that it is in fact in 5th gear.  I suspect he knows it's not shifting down into lower gears because he is pressing on the shift lever with the engine running and hears/feels the detent, but the sprocket speed is not changing.

My guess would be broken, or severely bent shift fork, or something happened to the shift drum. You will be splitting the cases on the engine to find or fix this. Don't fret, with a Honda service manual this is not that big a deal.   If it were my bike, and not knowing the history of the bike, I would take this opportunity to order a new crank, complete bearing set, new clutch, new top end, and whatever transmission parts you need. Build it ONCE. Build it RIGHT. It will last a long time. No fun splitting cases and missing something and having to go back in again to fix it.. I speak from experience. I had the cases split on my old XR600 so many times that I started greasing the case half gaskets so they would come apart easier. Your 2 stroke is far less complex than a 4 stroke.. You don't have a timing chain, or timing chain sprockets, or oil pump. 2T's are a great place to start if you've never torn an engine down before.

Almost forgot to mention-if anything inside the motor is damaged, and missing metal, you better find every little piece of metal before you put it back together. Leaving bits inside the motor is a recipe for disaster later on.

Edited by Kawabuggy
  • Like 1

Riding a five hunritt doesn't include the cost of hospital bills. they should put a warning sticker on those things.

• Like 1

I think what he is saying is that the drive sprocket, or front sprocket, is spinning fast in relation to engine RPM. Apparently he does not have a chain on the bike and with the clutch out, and the engine idling, the drive sprocket is spinning quickly. This would be a good indication that it is in fact in 5th gear.  I suspect he knows it's not shifting down into lower gears because he is pressing on the shift lever with the engine running and hears/feels the detent, but the sprocket speed is not changing.

This is exactly what I mean, thank you!  With  the amount of $$$ I will have into it after the rebuild I should probably look for another one but they are near impossible to find around here.....winter project I guess.  I started stripping it down tonight.  There was no air filter in it and I'm pretty sure the rear sub-frame is bent....just lovely.

I had one and will tell stories about it until i die, but the new bikes are so much better. Even a service honda cr 500 turns slower lap times than a 450.

You are right about that.  I have had the newer bikes and they are defiantly faster on the track but the big 500 is one of those bucket list items.  However I am now seriously considering doing the AF conversion with the more research I do....time will tell. 

I don't think you're going to know what's going on in the transmission until you put the chain on and try to ride it. The drive sprocket will turn even if the bike is in neutral when there is no chain on it due to friction in the transmission. This is normal.

...unless I misunderstood your post.

This sounds like the perfect CR500 for me. Being able to sit in the parking lot and rev it without injuring myself is quite possibly the best feature ever.

• Like 4

I don't think you're going to know what's going on in the transmission until you put the chain on and try to ride it. The drive sprocket will turn even if the bike is in neutral when there is no chain on it due to friction in the transmission. This is normal.

...unless I misunderstood your post.

It needs a clutch cable right now anyway so I cant drive it as is.  Probably the moron I bought it from was driving it like this and by not using the clutch the trans was put under a lot of stress

Front sprocket? Its not supposd to turn unless your moving, and its not aupposed to have a chain on it.. And so how do you know it isnt shifting?

that's some good info right there

Sounds liks a bent or btoken shifter fork

It needs a clutch cable right now anyway so I cant drive it as is.  Probably the moron I bought it from was driving it like this and by not using the clutch the trans was put under a lot of stress

LOL, a CR500 without a clutch would be interesting...hard to stop...

As ronnie mac would say, "I don't need a front brake because that just slows you down"

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDAQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DpOsB2nsls28&ei=vOowUpeYOqmajALLuICQBA&usg=AFQjCNFDrrC-Xvss3KlrlsCrFrhuBbg4jw&bvm=bv.52109249,d.cGE