Speedo problems

Well the other day I took off my front tire to clean everything and re-grease everything. Thought everything went fine as usual but then I noticed my speedo wasn't working but every so often it will read 1 or 2 mph. Took it back off today to re-adjust everything thought it might help but it didn't still doing the same. Anyone else had similar issues? Should I just get a new speedo cable or what? Thanks

The cable is easy to check before replacing.

If that is ok it will likely have stripped the drive gears in the speedo drive.

If it was working before, I suspect you might not have engaged the square end of the speedo cable properly into the speedo drive mechanism.

Otherwise check that the cable (wound internal cable) isn't broken and/or the drive mechanism turns (square socket).

The cable is easy to check before replacing.

If that is ok it will likely have stripped the drive gears in the speedo drive.

how are you supposed to tell if its stripped?

Another question will to much grease affect the speedo drive?

Anyone know how to tell if speedo drive is stripped out?

Finally found the problem I was focusing on the speedo drive the whole time and it had come off the dash ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1379295798.510788.jpg

Finally found the problem I was focusing on the speedo drive the whole time and it had come off the dash attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1379295798.510788.jpg

Amazing how many times something like this has happened to me, killing yourself checking then double checking only to find its something else. Good catch!