CR125 Motor Questions

Evening guys!

Right, ive recently started my latest build starting with a 2012 CRF chassis with brand new 2013 CRF250 suspension, built with a 125 motor!

Nino who has the Mugen 125af and super trick VRP 91 CR, has already provided me with an endless amount of info which has really helped on my build so far (ive promised him a beer or 10 when i meet him!), but theres a few other questions that i have that i thought you guys on here could help me with...

I bought a 1996 (i think) complete cr125 motor the other day as im sure its common knowledge that the 96-99 were the best year engines, and will be entirely rebuilt with brand new parts throughout.

-  First thing i want to know is, the motor was previously used in another project and so there are no engine numbers, so how can i find out what the exact year it is before i begin ordering new parts for an 96 and find out later its an 95?

- Can i fit an aluminium ignition cover from the later cr125 motors on mine to replace the nasty plastic stock one?

- As its going in a new frame, ive been advised by Nino that ill need a 98-01 exhaust to clear the radiators, but can i use one from an 01-07 or will it not work at all? (noob question i know!)

I have many more questions that ill ask along the way, but any help so far is muchly appreciated! Ill post up a build thread soon for anyone interested! Thanks!

Edited by ChuckDavies

Chuck,what diameter do the motor mounts have?

If you have M8 (8mm) bolts going through there it is a engine  min. 98 or younger. I have a 98 and 99 engine and it's from '99 on that the engine mounts have a fatter diameter and fatter bolts holding the engine into the frame.

As for the engine number: the actual engine number usually is stamped onto that silver metal plate right behind the shift lever. But you should have a cast number above with a certain code and by going here you should be able to see what year you have there:

http://www.oem-cycle.com/HONDACR125BIKEID.shtml

I'd say 05 / 06 and 07 are all equal.

Edited by nino

Chuck,what diameter do the motor mounts have?

If you have M8 (8mm) bolts going through there it is a engine  min. 98 or younger. I have a 98 and 99 engine and it's from '99 on that the engine mounts have a fatter diameter and fatter bolts holding the engine into the frame.

As for the engine number: the actual engine number usually is stamped onto that silver metal plate right behind the shift lever. But you should have a cast number above with a certain code and by going here you should be able to see what year you have there:

http://www.oem-cycle.com/HONDACR125BIKEID.shtml

Engine mount holes are 8mm so yeh id say theyre M8 bolts, so does that mean latest it could be is a 98?

As i said there's no engine numbers at all as theyve been smoothed off (apparently the case was replaced and because the engine numbers were off a different bike they covered them up.

Just checked and looks like its a 5 speed gearbox??? Any other numbers i can look for on the motor to find out the age?

Edited by ChuckDavies

Engine mount holes are 8mm so yeh id say theyre M8 bolts, so does that mean latest it could be is a 98?

As i said there's no engine numbers at all as theyve been smoothed off (apparently the case was replaced and because the engine numbers were off a different bike they covered them up.

Just checked and looks like its a 5 speed gearbox??? Any other numbers i can look for on the motor to find out the age?

No other numbers.

But if it has 5s it might be a '98. To make sure you would have to pull off the cylinder and have a look at the transfer ports. If you look at my pic below you will see a pre-98 cylinder with narrower transfer ports and a '98/'99 base gasket which shows the bigger sizes of those years transfer ports. If your cylinder has the bigger sized transfer ports it's definitely a 98/99. Check those angles and compare with your cylinder.

8524512880_83692a2d02_c.jpg

Edited by nino

Right, took the top end off last night and definitely not 98/99 shape. All inside the motor is perfect original like new silver cases so definitely 95 onwards. Checked gearbox again properly (struggled 1 handed with a broken collarbone) and it does infact have 6 gears!

So yeah, narrowed down to a 95/96/97... Anyone have any ideas how i can further check what year it is please??!

Anyone?! Just ordered up CDI and Coil off a 95 that will work but id like to know 95/96/97 specifically if poss! Thanks

Hi

Can we put a 89's or 90's into a CR 125 1987 frame ?

Can you put a 90's motor into a CR 125 1989 frame ?

thank you For advise

Rgds

Guillaume