Dual Sport Helmet

I'm going to be replacing my beloved Bell street bike helmet and I've been considering a dual sport helmet. Anybody have any wisdom to share?

I'm going to be replacing my beloved Bell street bike helmet and I've been considering a dual sport helmet. Anybody have any wisdom to share?

I'm interested in this too. MX helmet doesn't work, been using my Nolan 103 flip-up, it's OK but not enough ventilation when it's hot and slow going. Wear glasses, a flip-up where I don't have to remove them is a big plus for me. Also a ratchet chin strap for those frozen fingers on 30 degree days.

Mike

• Like 1

This is not a recommendation, It's just what floats my boat. I have a DS hlemet, an MX helmet, a street full face helmet, and a 3/4 helmet. For my kind of dual sport riding, I like the 3/4 helmet best in conjunction with motorcycle sunglasses dark (for sunny areas) or amber(for shaddy areas),Plus goggles for dusty trails. I carry all with me in a tank bag. I don't get the usual fogging issues that come with DS helmets, better side vision than either DS or MX helmets, plus a lot of cool air on my head. I will switch to the DS when the weather warrants it. I wear and like my AFX DS helmet.

I know, it's old school, but I am 66 years old. Just my $.02.

Edited by DragonNester
  • Like 1

We have one of these in the garage and works good. Less wind drag lifting your head at speeds like an off road helmet. There are several brands to choose from. All helmets are hot but much safer than without!

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/45/80/250/1128/-/30862/Fly-Racing-Trekker-Motorcycle-Helmet

Edited by weantright

My only two cents is that no matter what you do, wear a helmet that fully protects your face, MX or full face. My wife and I both wear goggles and MX helmets with the visors removed. We tried on full face helmets at the dealer and couldn't deal with them even in the air conditioned building. We had a spill a couple of weeks ago in which my head dragged on the pavement for about 6 feet. My wife was thrown off the bike on dirt but didn't hit her head. My helmet showed scrape marks from the jar to the lower part of the ear. No head or facial injury to me at all. From my experience, I would wear a helmet that fully protected my face no matter what form it took.

I really like my shoei DS Hornet.  Protected my face in a bad crash a couple months ago.  Now it's in a few pieces.  For the price I'd consider a street helmet and an MX helmet.  What fits comfortable is the most important thing.  The Dual sport helmet to me has a lot to do with fashion.  Now I have a GMAX dual sport helmet.  A lot cheaper and still fits my head well.  Quality isn't as good and its not as quiet.

On the less expensive end of the dualsport spectrum is the new helmet from AFX, the FX-41.  It looks like a very large step upwards from the AFX FX-39 but certainly does not try to compete with Shoei or Arai.  There is a review on Revzilla, but they aren't in stock yet anywhere that I've checked so far.  It's at least worth looking at.  I will be, the next time I'm in the market for a DS helmet.

My only two cents is that no matter what you do, wear a helmet that fully protects your face, MX or full face. My wife and I both wear goggles and MX helmets with the visors removed. We tried on full face helmets at the dealer and couldn't deal with them even in the air conditioned building. We had a spill a couple of weeks ago in which my head dragged on the pavement for about 6 feet. My wife was thrown off the bike on dirt but didn't hit her head. My helmet showed scrape marks from the jar to the lower part of the ear. No head or facial injury to me at all. From my experience, I would wear a helmet that fully protected my face no matter what form it took.

I really like my shoei DS Hornet.  Protected my face in a bad crash a couple months ago.  Now it's in a few pieces.  For the price I'd consider a street helmet and an MX helmet.  What fits comfortable is the most important thing.  The Dual sport helmet to me has a lot to do with fashion.  Now I have a GMAX dual sport helmet.  A lot cheaper and still fits my head well.  Quality isn't as good and its not as quiet.

Yes, I want the chinbar too. Split one back in the '80's. Got knocked out and a concussion but kept my hansom face.

Mike

info here,,,,http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/868961-dual-sport-helmets-joke-or-good-investment/?hl=%2Bdualsport+%2Bhelmet+%2Bjoke#entry9036676

imo, biggest + for a dualsport helmet vrs MX is the visor, dump the goggles when road riding increased peripheral vision.

goggles rock off road,,,, on road not so much.

get a dualsport helmet that "fits" goggles.

We have one of these in the garage and works good. Less wind drag lifting your head at speeds like an off road helmet. There are several brands to choose from. All helmets are hot but much safer than without!

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/45/80/250/1128/-/30862/Fly-Racing-Trekker-Motorcycle-Helmet

I like those   that may be my next helmet  having bugs fly into my MX helmet  kinda sucks 

does the shield open all the way ?? 

I like those   that may be my next helmet  having bugs fly into my MX helmet  kinda sucks 

does the shield open all the way ??

Having a bug fly into your eye is worse. Before I got goggles, I was riding around my driveway with an ATV at relatively slow speed. Got hit in the eye with a bug. Not a big bug. Had to be either a mosquito or black fly. But it felt like I got a corneal abrasion, just like when a whip or branch hits you in the eye when out hunting in heavy cover. Didn't take too long to get a pair of goggles after that.

I have the Fly Racing Street Trekker Dual Sport Helmet.  It works great, but on those cold mornings, it fogs up a bit with the shield closed all the way.

Watched many of my friends try and give up on the DS helmets for various reasons.  Using street or mx helmets depending on ride and conditions, dual sport is a very broad segment of riding and riders.

My self I like a MX helmet that has a bill that is open in the back or vented well enough to let a lot of air through, and with an adjuster that can be snug enough to hold it but still allow on the fly adjustment.  Adjusting on the highway can tune the airflow so the bill lift effect is negated and acts like a regular street helmet.

I also carry a lycra face mask I can put on if the weather gets too bad, light tint enduro glasses and googles cover all the bases.

Edited by highmarker

I prefer the simplicity and open airway of my dirt helmets and goggles, but my bifocal sunglasses don't fit well under goggles. I don't really have a choice any more. I have to wear bifocals so I can read my GPS on the fly. Soon I'll need glasses for distance vision as well. Oh well.

It sucks getting old, but at least I'm still riding!

I have a freebie DS helmet given to me to try out and review, but I'm not impressed so I've chosen not to review it publicly. I'll be shopping for a new one soon, certainly before next spring. It's either a new helmet, or surgery to my eyes, and I don't really want someone cutting my eyeballs with anything.

I just went down this road. I got tired of being in my offroad helmet and getting caught in the rain or snow or being in my street helmet in crazy dust. So I finally went out and tried a bunch of dual sport helmets. First, no way I am buying the Arai or Shoei. Don't talk me about having a $200 head. It isn't about that. It is about knowing the helmet will get trashed too quickly to drop that kind of cash. I am perfectly happy in a less expensive helmet having successfully crash tested several.

So I started looking at the less expensive models. I really liked the weight, fit and lining in the Speed and Strength helmet the best. But it is, to me, more of a street helmet with no goggle cutouts and very little ventilation. I may buy that one yet. It is a lot of helmet for the money just biased more toward street riding than offroad. I couldn't find the new AFX to try locally but tried the previous version at motorcycles shows and the fit wasn't right for me. Nice enough helmet though.

I would have liked to try the Joe Rocket since my rebranded HJC (Thor) offroad helmet is the best fitting, most comfortable helmet I have ever worn. But there aren't any locally and the one I tried at a show had funky optics through the faceshield. That left the Fly Trekker and the MSR helmet which are identical except for paint and graphics. I narrowed it down to one of those primarily because they offer better ventilation than any of the other price point dual sport helmets I have seen.

I went with the Fly simply because I hated the matte black MSR. That helmet would look like hell after a season with me. It was already covered with nasty looking fingerprints in the store and that is the only color they offer. So I got the Fly in silver to go with my two older KTM dual sports. I am happy with it considering the price point. Like I said, I may yet buy the Speed and Strength. I really liked that for a street helmet.

Edited by grreatdog

This is not a recommendation, It's just what floats my boat. I have a DS hlemet, an MX helmet, a street full face helmet, and a 3/4 helmet. For my kind of dual sport riding, I like the 3/4 helmet best in conjunction with motorcycle sunglasses dark (for sunny areas) or amber(for shaddy areas),Plus goggles for dusty trails. I carry all with me in a tank bag. I don't get the usual fogging issues that come with DS helmets, better side vision than either DS or MX helmets, plus a lot of cool air on my head. I will switch to the DS when the weather warrants it. I wear and like my AFX DS helmet.

I know, it's old school, but I am 66 years old. Just my $.02.

Same here. I have all the different helmets, but truly like my  best./