Sign in to follow this  

Leak in crank case help

Sometimes when using a razor blade you gouge the case. If so, the oil is bypassing the seal because the seal does not aitting properly. As a last resort (and temporary fix) I would get some high temp silicone like and put a thin layer where you suspect the leak is coming from.

For future reference or anybody reading this- dont use a razor blade. You could also try the tube gasket stuff, i had to use some on a different bike about a year ago, held pretty good so far, should seep into any place that was damaged. A tube runs for about $25 and is enough to do all the gaskets on maybe 2 bikes. I wouldn't recommend it as a first choice though

• Like 1

Ouch..

What would u use to clean off the old gasket then, also can you quote this when you reply so I get an email notification! Thanks

What would u use to clean off the old gasket then, also can you quote this when you reply so I get an email notification! Thanks

Get a can of that gasket remover, I think it is by Gunk.  Spray it on, let it sit and use a plastic or brass scraper.  The aluminum case material is just cast and not very tough.  You can literally shave away aluminum with a razor blade.  That is not what you want to do.  Plastic spackling knife with the spray remover works good.