150 or 200

I am looking at a new small bore two stroke. I plan to race motocross and harescrambles with it. It will be an xc model. What do you guys suggest and why a 150 xc or 200 xc. Thanks.

If you want to do any moto go with the 150.

Did not think the still made the XC200

150.          The 200 revs like a 250 (ehh) and has a bit more power then a 150 (also ehh)... worst of both worlds if you ask me. I must say the 200 is a phenomenal woods bike though. 

I personally have not ridden a new 200 (did ride a '04ish 200 a couple times), but for what it's worth my local dealer (who HS races a 200) said to think of a new 200 as a 125 that actually has bottom end.  And because the 200 really doesn't weigh much more than a 125, unless your restricted to a certain displacement then go with the 200.

I am looking at a new small bore two stroke. I plan to race motocross and harescrambles with it. It will be an xc model. What do you guys suggest and why a 150 xc or 200 xc. Thanks.

the 200 in our group rips until a steep hill where you need power.

The new 200s are almost as heavy as a 250, the 150 is about 12lb lighter. Go with the 150 unless you want a woods bike. Most of the fast kids I know ride a 150 in the 200 classes.

I personally have not ridden a new 200 (did ride a '04ish 200 a couple times), but for what it's worth my local dealer (who HS races a 200) said to think of a new 200 as a 125 that actually has bottom end.  And because the 200 really doesn't weigh much more than a 125, unless your restricted to a certain displacement then go with the 200.

Hmm the 200 weighs 219 lbs. only 2 lbs less than the 300.

Hmm the 200 weighs 219 lbs. only 2 lbs less than the 300.

Hmmm, you must be looking at different spec's.  Right off of the KTM web site:

150 XC = 207.5

200 XC-w = 219.4

300 XC-w = 225.1

This also means that the 300 is 5.7 pounds heavier, assuming that 5.7 pounds means anything when your on the trail. 

So while it's true that the 200 does weigh more than what I remember, being a XC-w it does have electric start now.  The older ones do not and they will be lighter...  And you can't buy it with out electric starting (according to KTM's web site), so it's not an apples to apples comparison (150 verses 200).  So there's another feather in the 200's cap ~ electric start!

In any case I still stick by the ideal that if you are not limited by displacement then buy the 200.

My 2013 200XCW is one fun machine. I sold my 2010 250xc and I do miss the not having to shift gears as much but I love the light weight and nimble feeling in tight woods. This past weekend in 100 plus degrees and horrible dust I loved having the electric start. During pit stops no having to kick it to pull back onto the track. I just wish I could fiqure out the computer

My 2013 200XCW is one fun machine. I sold my 2010 250xc and I do miss the not having to shift gears as much but I love the light weight and nimble feeling in tight woods. This past weekend in 100 plus degrees and horrible dust I loved having the electric start. During pit stops no having to kick it to pull back onto the track. I just wish I could fiqure out the computer

I'm with you, the computer (instrument cluster) could be a lot easier to use. 

The manul isn't that clear and I personally think that they need to add one more button just to make it easier to use.  In any case, the trick to setting them up is to get into the "programming screen", that's when everything on the right side is lit constantly, then you need to scroll through and "select" what you want to see or have access to (like the hour meter).  In my case I have ODO, Trip & Hours selected, so when I'm done riding I know how far I've gone and have an idea of what needs to be looked at based on hours and mileage when I'm home.

And FWIW even though you may not see the hour function, or have it selected, it's still counting if your computer is working correctly.  Like, if you select it a couple hundred hours after riding it, it will show those hours.

Hmmm, you must be looking at different spec's.  Right off of the KTM web site:

150 XC = 207.5

200 XC-w = 219.4

300 XC-w = 225.1

This also means that the 300 is 5.7 pounds heavier, assuming that 5.7 pounds means anything when your on the trail. 

So while it's true that the 200 does weigh more than what I remember, being a XC-w it does have electric start now.  The older ones do not and they will be lighter...  And you can't buy it with out electric starting (according to KTM's web site), so it's not an apples to apples comparison (150 verses 200).  So there's another feather in the 200's cap ~ electric start!

In any case I still stick by the ideal that if you are not limited by displacement then buy the 200.

My 09 XCW 300 is 221 lbs. with E start  and tons a HP. Just sayin the new 200 in our group has a shortage of power on the climbs and needs to keep it pinned, lacks the grunt, This is the comment from the owner who also has a 300 as well.the .comments that the 200 is light is bull @ 219 lbs. the power to weight ratio is out to lunch in comparable.Our group has the 150,200,250 and 300 so you can easily see and compare performance.

Edited by byeatts

Thanks for the info. After reading the post I think I really need to ride these bikes to see which suits me. Thanks again

The 150xc will be more versatile then the 200xcw. Slightly lighter, has a linkage and makes great power with it mover closer to the top (better for moto)....If you were doing strictly offroad, the 200xcw would be my pick but because you want to do both, the 150xc will be better.....