Sign in to follow this  

Rm250 flywheel weight question

Hey guys, I'm looking at a 03 rm250 and it's set up for woods riding. and he has a after market flywheel weight on it. I don't want the weight because it slows the bike down and make it feel more like a 4 stroke. I want that raw 2 stroke power. So my question is is there stock weights? Or do I take the after market weight off and I'm good to go? Thanks for any help!

Depending on the fww, most just screw into the magneto then you insert the magneto nut remove the 4 bolts out of the ignition cover (left side) you'll have to push the shifter down to remove the cover to inspect it. Insert a piston stop (threaded plastic plug that goes into the spark plug hole) take a socket and ratchet and remove mag nut. Then unscrew the fww they have left hand threads. Good luck the 03 rm250 is a great bike

03 had the lightest crank and they just kept adding weight every year until 06 to try to increase tractability.

I think you might find a FWW is a good thing on a 03, even for MX. Helps with traction immensely and still spools up fast.

And yes it will just screw off the stock FW. Left hand thread so right to loosen.

Hey guys, I'm looking at a 03 rm250 and it's set up for woods riding. and he has a after market flywheel weight on it. I don't want the weight because it slows the bike down and make it feel more like a 4 stroke. I want that raw 2 stroke power. So my question is is there stock weights? Or do I take the after market weight off and I'm good to go? Thanks for any help!

A flywheel weight, by itself, will not give your bike a 4T feel.  It would take some heavy internal mods to get there.  It will still rev as high as without one.  My '04 has a FWW and I can lug it and rev the piss out of it whenever I want.  If you can remove it easily I say ride it a bunch with one, then take it off in the same day/location and decide if it really is a negative trait for that bike.  You already have the FWW, experiment.  It is a lot easier than having to buy it to see if you like it. :)

03 had the lightest crank and they just kept adding weight every year until 06 to try to increase tractability.

I think you might find a FWW is a good thing on a 03, even for MX. Helps with traction immensely and still spools up fast.

And yes it will just screw off the stock FW. Left hand thread so right to loosen.

+1

I have on 03 also, it's a very light-flywheeled bike.  I don't do MX anymore, just keep it in the woods... I put a 12 oz weight on it and wish the case would allow more.