How do I remove the stock throttle grip?

How do I remove the stock throttle grip?  It's glued to the throttle tube and is only coming off in little chunks.  Cutting thru the rubber doesn't do anything, the rubber and tube are like ONE.   The left one came off easy by dipping a screwdriver in rubbing alcohol and working it between the bar and rubber.  This can't be done with the throttle, it's super glued in place.  And ideas?

Don't even fight with it, a new throttle tube is only like $8. Then it won't be a problem going forward. I believe the aluminum quick turn throttle tube is only like $30 if you wanted to go that route.

I did not listen and tried to remove it, after an hour of BS I gave up and bought a new one.

The Motion pro OEM replacemnt was super cheap.

Don't even fight with it, a new throttle tube is only like $8. Then it won't be a problem going forward. I believe the aluminum quick turn throttle tube is only like $30 if you wanted to go that route.

Are throttle tubes universal or do I have to order a Suzuki DRZ400 from the dealer?

Use a heavier duty utility knife with a sharp blade to shave the old grip off down to the plastic tube you will see when you are there, they are fused together at the factory..  it only takes like 10 min of cutting and you're done.. or if you want though just order up a new throttle tube 

Are throttle tubes universal or do I have to order a Suzuki DRZ400 from the dealer?

I bought a Motion Pro one from ebay. Zeta makes the quick turn one IIRC.

over 1300 posts and you havent stumbled across this fact yet! lol anyway i got the zeta quick turn and i love it! shortens up the turn a bit and its aluminum instead of cheap plastics! 

Thanks guys.  I'm going to order a Motion Pro throttle tube and a couple tools I need anyway.

over 1300 posts and you havent stumbled across this fact yet! lol

I've never come across one like this before.  Like mmiguy2103 said- this grip is fused to the throttle tube, beyond just glued.  But I've got more than 10 minutes into it already and it's a losing battle.

A knife wire wheel and a hope and a prayer... Just buy a new throttle tube. I cheaped out and did it the hard way and it was a waste of my time.

Use a heavier duty utility knife with a sharp blade to shave the old grip off down to the plastic tube you will see when you are there, they are fused together at the factory..  it only takes like 10 min of cutting and you're done.. or if you want though just order up a new throttle tube 

BS,  no way in hell you can do it in 10 minutes,  i doubt u could even do it in a hour...

i just had the same thing,  i tried shaving it with a brand new stanley blade,  after about 10 minutes i gave up,  motion pro, 9 bucks,  nuff said!

I've never come across one like this before.  Like mmiguy2103 said- this grip is fused to the throttle tube, beyond just glued.  But I've got more than 10 minutes into it already and it's a losing battle.

no just meant you have been on this site a while and havent seen any thread about the stock grip being one with the stock throttle tube! no biggie though...  no where near starting trouble just wanted to clear up what i meant bro... yeh just spend a couple bucks on a new one or try and justify the 30 bucks and get the aluminum zeta one (i still havent justified getting mine yet haha was just in a hurry and didnt feel like searching lol) never the less i do like it though! 

You should be going from something like this:

P9010073.JPG

To something looking like this:

P9010075.JPG

Finally got rid of the Suzuki "glue factory" model & on to the billet aluminum model about a week ago. The capped tube also gives more options for almost all grips without rubbing the bar end causing no throttle return. The only complaint I've read about is the aluminum's ability to crush & stick the throttle. I figured I'd take my chances with the Moose Billet.....smooth sailing so far with zero resistence! The less expensive Motion Pros have great reviews and for sure beats trying to shave the grip off the OEM. Quick way to take a slice out of your fingers trying that too. Not sure why the factory thought the glue method was necessary.  :confused: 

BS,  no way in hell you can do it in 10 minutes,  i doubt u could even do it in a hour...

i just had the same thing,  i tried shaving it with a brand new stanley blade,  after about 10 minutes i gave up,  motion pro, 9 bucks,  nuff said!

lol I dont know what you were doing for a full hour... its only rubber you are cutting.. if you are cutting the plastic tube you are cutting too deep..  my Irwin bi-metal blades sliced through it like butter, once i got it down to 90% cut off i used a few pieces of 80 grit emery cloth to shape it back to perfect round.  I have done this to mine and also 2 other drzs that have come to my shop..

Dont forget grip glue  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

its not glued, it overmolded.  Basically the tube is molded as one part, then put in a mold and the grip is then molded.  I made the same mistake years ago.  Always having bikes where the grips came off.  It's not worth the time to try and remove it.