Which Skid Plate do you prefer?

I am wanting to get a skid plate.  Just curious which ones you guys use, or recommend.

www.CRFSONLY.com has the Flatland Racing skid plate, Moose Racing Pro skid plate, Zeta Skid plate, and Ricochet Skid Plate.

The Moose Racing one is the most expensive, but its not aluminum its a Polyethylene, so it is 40% lighter. 

Thoughts? Or is this just a personal preference item...? :ride:

IMG_1839.JPG

• Like 3

My experience with the Flatland Racing plate. Immediately I started having problems with the two front screws not lining up properly on my 2014. I couldn't get a good enough angle for the screws to seat in the threads. So drilled out the holes slightly to give a little bit more wiggle room. It was just enough to fasten them down. Next big problem is probably partly my fault. First ride went alright. But the next week after rechecking that everything was tight, I lost one of the hooks in back by the foot peg. I'm pretty sure it happened after I took a corner and clipped a rock sticking out of the ground. What I was happy about was that Flatland Racing sold replacement hooks ($5ea+$5 shipping) and received it just in time for my ride the following week. Why I say it was partly my fault for losing it was that I didn't threadlock any of the screws the first time. Lesson learned. Put from removable blue on 24hrs before the next ride. Everything looked good. Checked the screws throughout the ride and everything stayed tight. But I did it again. I clipped another rock while cornering. This time I immediately stopped to check on the plate. The hook was completely loose again. I don't know if I need to use red threadlock or if those hooks are a weak point. I don't have any experience with other plates. But I hate having to check the fit of my FR plate from time to time during a ride.

When it comes time to replace it, looks like I'm going with the Moose.

This is how I found the remaining hook after I noticed I was missing one.

9719413035_9637879e4a_c.jpg

i have the flatlands...  i like the look, but my bike hasn't seen the dirt....  hahahahaha  so its really just a curb basher and railroad tie knocker...  my one hook has always been a little off... but no problems...  if the moose plate would come down in price, i'd buy it just for my selfish desires...  i like the black...  plus, i'm not hitting any rock rocky trails right now... lol   i seen richochet has their skidz in colors...  

• Like 3

this is where i suck... i pretty much put the skid plate on before my first ride... lol  so i didn't notice any noise increase... it all just seems normal to me...  but i am not very normal, so you can't go by what my normal is...  

i've read a lot about the sound and all that...  i try to listen for it...  but i like all that i hear... lol  and with ear plugs in, i can hear the motor and the exhaust... without the plugs i can only really hear the exhaust...  maybe during the snow season i will make some rubber washers and spacers out of my snorkle pieces i cut off...  seems like a good rubber... not too thick.  just another thing added to my to do list... lol  i better have a long snow season...  hahaha

• Like 3

The AFX Racing / Moose bash plate wasn't available then.
It should be fine for rocks, because so far i know, the SA-made Hyde Developments ones are.

maybe during the snow season i will make some rubber washers and spacers out of my snorkle pieces i cut off...  seems like a good rubber... not too thick

Clear PVC tubing from hardware/gardening store. Cut strips of it to go between the bashplate and the frame tubes.  Someone here suggested it / did it.

• Like 2

this is where i suck... i pretty much put the skid plate on before my first ride... lol  so i didn't notice any noise increase... it all just seems normal to me...  but i am not very normal, so you can't go by what my normal is...  

i've read a lot about the sound and all that...  i try to listen for it...  but i like all that i hear... lol  and with ear plugs in, i can hear the motor and the exhaust... without the plugs i can only really hear the exhaust...  maybe during the snow season i will make some rubber washers and spacers out of my snorkle pieces i cut off...  seems like a good rubber... not too thick.  just another thing added to my to do list... lol  i better have a long snow season...  hahaha

I put 1200 miles on mine before the flatland skid... No additional noise noticed after installing. All good to go. I don't really offroad my bike either, it's for curbs, stairs, etc. the alignment was perfect on mine too, I just got everything on loose then snugged up.

• Like 3

The AFX Racing / Moose bash plate wasn't available then.

It should be fine for rocks, because so far i know, the SA-made Hyde Developments ones are.

Clear PVC tubing from hardware/gardening store. Cut strips of it to go between the bashplate and the frame tubes.  Someone here suggested it / did it.

the white hard plastic pvc pipe??? really??? like for home plumbing kind??? crazy... i would think a hard plastic like that would add squeeks and errr errr err errr noises... lol  please excuse me... 3 glasses of wine and 2 bowls deep.... lol  so little things amaze me right now...  hahaha

• Like 4

the white hard plastic pvc pipe??? really??? like for home plumbing kind??? crazy... i would think a hard plastic like that would add squeeks and errr errr err errr noises... lol  please excuse me... 3 glasses of wine and 2 bowls deep.... lol  so little things amaze me right now...  hahaha

He wrote "Clear PVC tubing" as like a clear hose...  ?   Pass that thing over here, you've been camping too long...   ?

• Like 2