Stalling motor at 55mph HELP!

Hello.  I am new to the forum and new to posting in forums in general.  I am the proud owner of a 2001 Honda xr650L.  It was purchased two weeks ago and has 900 miles on it.  In near mint condition.  UNFORTUNATELY I did not take it for a high speed run when test driving it.  The previous owner explained that he had 1. removed the smog gear with the appropriate kit (which i have verified). 2.  removed the snorkel and added a Uni filter.  3. rejetted the carb after the air cleaner swap.

After getting it home and parking it for two weeks, I took it for a spin up to 55mph and the bike backfired and stalled.  After a second or two, I was able to start it back up.  It stumbled and stalled again.  Then wouldn't start for about 3 minutes, then started and sped up to 55mph and stalled-backfired again.  The choke WAS OFF.  

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this is happening?  I searched the forums and found similar issues but not identical.  Any help would be appreciated. 

PS.  If you've taken the time to read all this.... please dont post that I should keep searching old posts.  You've read this much, jusy help a thumper brother out.

Thanks

Hello. I am new to the forum and new to posting in forums in general. I am the proud owner of a 2001 Honda xr650L. It was purchased two weeks ago and has 900 miles on it. In near mint condition. UNFORTUNATELY I did not take it for a high speed run when test driving it. The previous owner explained that he had 1. removed the smog gear with the appropriate kit (which i have verified). 2. removed the snorkel and added a Uni filter. 3. rejetted the carb after the air cleaner swap.

After getting it home and parking it for two weeks, I took it for a spin up to 55mph and the bike backfired and stalled. After a second or two, I was able to start it back up. It stumbled and stalled again. Then wouldn't start for about 3 minutes, then started and sped up to 55mph and stalled-backfired again. The choke WAS OFF.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this is happening? I searched the forums and found similar issues but not identical. Any help would be appreciated.

PS. If you've taken the time to read all this.... please dont post that I should keep searching old posts. You've read this much, jusy help a thumper brother out.

Thanks

I'm by no means an expert but I'll throw out some ideas. Have you checked your fuel system to make sure there is no debris In the filter? There's a filter inside the tank generally. Sounds like maybe your running out of fuel? Also might need to adjust fuel mixture? Again just a couple thoughts. I'm no guru.

Dump all of the fuel out of the tank into some other container.  Check for any other junk in there.  There is a chance that the inside of the tank is rusted or there could be other stuff in it.  Even with a plastic tank, there was stuff in mine when I drained it completely.

You might also want to remove the petcock and make sure that it's clean.  That's a lot easier than getting the carburetor out.  It took me about an hour to get my carburetor out, change the jets, then reinstall it, and I'm experienced with the bike.

I had a fuel injected bike a few years ago that ran fine until you put a load on the engine, then the rust particles in the fuel filter started plugging things up and it would die.  I spent hours cleaning the rust out of that tank.

If your tank has junk in it, consider replacing it.  I have a brand new, never had fuel in it, stock 1994 white tank as well as a huge plastic Acerbis tank available.  Both could use a good home.

• Like 1

You should be able to remove the fuel bowl without removing the carby.

Unless the Phillips screws have been replaced that hold the float bowl on, I doubt that.  Maybe you could make a little video showing us how to do it, because I've always had to at least pull the carburetor out the side to do anything with it.  You don't have to take the cables off, though.

Unless the Phillips screws have been replaced that hold the float bowl on, I doubt that.  Maybe you could make a little video showing us how to do it, because I've always had to at least pull the carburetor out the side to do anything with it.  You don't have to take the cables off, though.

It's all about pulling that airbox hose from the rear of the carb and resting it behind one of the frame downtubes..Then you simply loosen the intake mainfolds hose clamp pull the carb/carbs back out of the recess and twist them so you can get a screwdriver at the screws. It could be done with the carb in position if you had a really short screwdriver and some vice grips attached to it for added leverage..It wouldn't be and isn't easy though..been there done that..

Airbox attachment hose/snorkel whatever you want to call it..,Undo the hose clip..Pull the airbox attachment plastic/rubbery nozzle back and rest it behind the frame downtube..It will bend in the centre not rip from the Airbox..I've said it explained it a bazillion times and it never seems to sink in..That is the answer to easy carb removal..

Once you finally grasp and accept the method you'll wonder why the hell you've been p''',,,,g about removing intake manifold screws ..

Edited by Horri

It's all about pulling that airbox hose from the rear of the carb and resting it behind one of the frame downtubes..Then you simply loosen the intake mainfolds hose clamp pull the carb/carbs back out of the recess and twist them so you can get a screwdriver at the screws. It could be done with the carb in position if you had a really short screwdriver and some vice grips attached to it for added leverage..It wouldn't be and isn't easy though..been there done that..

Yes, and by the time I've done all that it takes about 30 more seconds to get the carburetor out where I can really get to it.

With all of the time I spend getting sidecovers, seat, and tank off and loosening the rubber pieces holding the carburetor in place, I'll happily spend that tiny bit of extra time to get the carburetor out where the rest of the steps are easier.

mmm..I've never seen you explain your method..The Tank seat sidecovers need to come off anyway..that's a given with any carb removal..I can do that on my 600 in under 2 minutes,,and have the airbox disconnected and the carb out in another 3..One of these days I'm going to do a vid of the procedure to finally end the bollicks that goes on about how difficult it is and how you'll damage the airbox hose palava we get in here..

She's all about preparation Scott..correct tools,,right sockets..then technique..All over in five minutes..I've done it so many times on the 600 I could do it in five minutes blindfolded.. :prof:,,Admittedly you maybe have that anti smog crap to contend with and that silly oil strainer canister..I have none of that..I'd give you an extra five minutes to get that crap out of the way.. :rant:

Edited by Horri

Fair enough..I  do tend to rave on a bit, no offense or anything.. ?  It is about tools and knowing bolt head sizes and screw sizes..Do whatever suits..I'm off out for a few beers..Catchya tomorrow,. ?

and lets not forget..The op doesn't need  us having a bun fight over how this or that's done nor how fantastical we are at doing it,,he has a problem that needs fixing.. :thinking:

Edited by Horri

I'm by no means an expert but I'll throw out some ideas. Have you checked your fuel system to make sure there is no debris In the filter? There's a filter inside the tank generally. Sounds like maybe your running out of fuel? Also might need to adjust fuel mixture? Again just a couple thoughts. I'm no guru.

OK.  I started to drain the gas tank.... while still on the bike.....bAd idea.  I realized it was on reserve and the fuel was simply trickling out.  And it was a a nice shade of red.  I then unscrewed the petcock, more rusty gas flowed out... all over engine and garage floor. Not the brightest move.  I then sloshed around the tank and rust oatmeal sized chunks of crap came to.  I have since removed the tanks, flushed it out with water and its drying.  The "tube like screen" that is in the tank has fallen out.  I am guessing that is the reserve filter that the long petcock tube slid into.  

Anyway, my question is this...... I like the look of the stock tank (shiny, bright red) but should I pull the trigger on a new larger tank or clean out the factory steel tank and use it?  Any suggestions on a nice "honda" red aftermarket tank?  I dont really want a "pitted" plastic look.  And I want it to match my factory plastic as best it can.  I dont need a huge tank.

Thanks for your input

Dump all of the fuel out of the tank into some other container.  Check for any other junk in there.  There is a chance that the inside of the tank is rusted or there could be other stuff in it.  Even with a plastic tank, there was stuff in mine when I drained it completely.

You might also want to remove the petcock and make sure that it's clean.  That's a lot easier than getting the carburetor out.  It took me about an hour to get my carburetor out, change the jets, then reinstall it, and I'm experienced with the bike.

I had a fuel injected bike a few years ago that ran fine until you put a load on the engine, then the rust particles in the fuel filter started plugging things up and it would die.  I spent hours cleaning the rust out of that tank.

If your tank has junk in it, consider replacing it.  I have a brand new, never had fuel in it, stock 1994 white tank as well as a huge plastic Acerbis tank available.  Both could use a good home.

OK.  I started to drain the gas tank.... while still on the bike.....bAd idea.  I realized it was on reserve and the fuel was simply trickling out.  And it was a a nice shade of red.  I then unscrewed the petcock, more rusty gas flowed out... all over engine and garage floor. Not the brightest move.  I then sloshed around the tank and rust oatmeal sized chunks of crap came to.  I have since removed the tanks, flushed it out with water and its drying.  The "tube like screen" that is in the tank has fallen out.  I am guessing that is the reserve filter that the long petcock tube slid into.  

Anyway, my question is this...... I like the look of the stock tank (shiny, bright red) but should I pull the trigger on a new larger tank or clean out the factory steel tank and use it?  Any suggestions on a nice "honda" red aftermarket tank?  I dont really want a "pitted" plastic look.  And I want it to match my factory plastic as best it can.  I dont need a huge tank.

Thanks for your input

Thanks for your input

Dunno about tanks but by the sounds of it the carb is also going to need to come off and thorough cleaning of it is going to need doing..not just a soak in pinesol either..thorough means taking out jets and cleaning them all and blowing out all the passages with compressed air on both jets and carb body as well as running the strand of a wire brush through all the small holes on the sides of all jets and tubes jets screw into if 650L carbs have such things..

Fuel is also normally a bit of a red colour,,rust particles aren't required though..How the heck do people get rusty tanks on a 650L..the things aren't even that old. People must just park these things up for years and forget they own them.. :crazy:

You could try doing a bit of a better cleaning of the current tank by chucking some gravel or smallish rocks in there then doing the shaker dance :banana:  with it for a while to clean the rust off..Empty the crap,,clean again with gas or something..Let here dry ,,re check by putting in more gas and running it out through a sieve,,Womens pantyhose will do as the sieve..All clean..good to go..Put a filter in between the tank and carb just in case something else comes through..

Edited by Horri

Fuel is also normally a bit of a red colour,,rust particles aren't required though..How the heck do people get rusty tanks on a 650L..the things aren't even that old. People must just park these things up for years and forget they own them.. :crazy:

The bike is 12 years old and has less than 1000 miles on it.  Of course it sat a bit.

When I was cleaning out the tank of the fuel injected bike as mentioned earlier, there was an opening large enough to get my hand in.  I used steel wool on everything I could reach in there.  I've heard people say that putting in an assortment of nuts and bolts and shaking the tank a lot will loosen all of the rust.  Somebody wrapped their tank in padding and put it in a clothes dryer for a while.

I rinsed my tank out with gasoline when I removed the rust.  I used some coffee filters in a large funnel to clean the rust particles out of the gasoline and kept putting it back in, sloshing it around, and pouring it through new filters until it was clean.  I first vacuumed out all of the easy stuff from the steel wool before doing that part.

One additional note on small wires in the carburetor - make sure that they are brass or copper wires so that they're softer than the holes that you're cleaning out.

Best of luck cleaning it up and getting running again.

Oh, and Clarke makes good 4.0 and 4.7 gallon tanks that look good on the bike - if you put a decent sticker on there. ?

Thanks all.  when I saw red...... There was  about an 1/4 inch of sediment on the bottom of the bucket I drained the gas into.  The bike sat..... forever, hence the pristine shape it was in.  I intend to ride the piss out of it.  Looks like I'm going to have to remove and clean the carb too.  BUmmer.  I just insured the bike and took my riders test.  Getting cold in Mich.  Maybe some heated grips too.  LOL.  I remember pouring acid and a ploymer in an old Elsinore 20 tank years ago to "seal" the crud in.  But I think I will try a new tank.  Tank for the offer on the white tanks, but 'd like to stick to a red tank.  Thanks again for the carb removal info too.  I will post an update in a few days and some pics.