Gaerne Boot Question......

Just curious..... :thinking: Not really whining, I hope,  And defintely not "bashing" Gaerne boots at all. Just curious......

Has anyone here that wears Gaerne Balance Oiled boots had problems with the midsoles pulling loose from the upper portion of the boot?

My Gaernes (Balance Oiled) are only around 7-9 months old, if that much. I noticed yesterday that each boot has one or two places where the midsoles have "ripped" & separated from the leather upper part of the boot. The bottom sole is glued to that midsole, but it is still in very good shape. Hardly even any footpeg wear, even. The upper parts of the boot are still in really good shape. No broken stitches; they just pulled loose from the midsoles. Is this possibly because I have only 1/2 ton rated boots, and a 3/4 ton body?  :smirk:

I bought these boots based on recommedations, reading on the interweb, & because I liked the fact that they could be resoled. But I hadn't planned on having to the dirty deed quite this soon.  :doh:  I still like them a lot, and to me they're certainly worth repairing & using. Next to my Danner hunting boots, they're about the most comfortable boot I've ever owned, and needed practically no break-in at all. They're good boots. However, if this is a really common problem, I might look at another brand when I need my next set of boots....

FWIW, a local shoe repair guy is going to stitch up new midsoles for me, then glue my boots' soles to those new midsoles. Seems to think they will hold up much better, and will only cost $60. He was surprised that a set of Italian made boots this new would have problems like they do. I wasn't certain that I could get them back as quickly if I sent them back to Ryan Young Products, where they were purchased, or if I need to send them to Garene, or whatever. So, I went "local" for the repair....

Jimmie

Edited by Mr. Neutron

My Gaernes did the same - toes came unglued on both boots. Soles were easily ripped off by the cobbler by hand. I replaced them with new soles and have been riding for 3 years. Soles now worn out. Seems like the glue Gaerne uses is a bit weak. My cobbler was also surprised they werent built better. Other than that - I like the boots.  

My Gaernes did the same - toes came unglued on both boots. Soles were easily ripped off by the cobbler by hand. I replaced them with new soles and have been riding for 3 years. Soles now worn out. Seems like the glue Gaerne uses is a bit weak. My cobbler was also surprised they werent built better. Other than that - I like the boots.  

Hmmm, well, Cool..... Sorta.....

Mine did exactly as you described, Laser. The areas around the toes & arches began separating. I actually hadn't noticed it until I sorta crashed practicing double blipping a stump on my property. I thought it might somehow be crash related, since I hadn't noticed it until I saw all this grass sticking outta the toe of my boot. But I'm fairly certain you don't spend near the amount of time picking up your bike that I do :rolleyes: , so it's probably just a manufacturing defect, or whatever...

Good to know yours have held up a little better after the repairs. BTW, how old were they when you noticed they were coming apart? :confused:

Jimmie

Just a couple of months.  :banghead:   The 75 year old cobbler peeled off both soles like they were a ripe banana right in front of me. Just one quick tug and voila. ..He told me I wouldn't be able to do that with his re-glued soles. I asked him what he used and he told me that a cobbler never reveals his secrets and it took him years to perfect. I told him for the $15 bucks he charged, I would bring him my new boots next time to do the same thing. I probably already should have replaced the boots I have as they are pretty worn and are starting to leak as well. Soles are still on though! (He said he would have to grind the soles off after he was done! Not a job I would want) 

Edited by laser17

I'm really glad you asked this question Mr. Neutron because I have had the same experience. I purchased new Gaerne Balance Oiled boots in June and the stitching over the arch is already coming out. Sounds like I'll have to watch the soles and toes as well.

I was looking around for shoe repair places in our area. Love the boots, they are the most comfortable ever. I'll do whatever it takes to keep them wearable!

Well, sorry to hear you're in the exclusive "Bewildered Gaerne Owners Club", Hondagirl! :lol:

I hope you get the same sorta deal that Laser got to get his repaired!  :cool:  $15!!!! :jawdrop:

And here I thought I was cuttin' a fat hog getting by for "only" $60 to get mine fixed! :doh:  I dropped my boots off at the repair place, paid the guy the $60, and left feeling pretty good, until I read Laser's post. :banghead:  I just now stopped to realize I'm going to have close to $400 into these boots! :eek: They'd better make me ride like Toni Bou at my next trial, and not my normal Bony Toe! :lol:

Jimmie

Well, sorry to hear you're in the exclusive "Bewildered Gaerne Owners Club", Hondagirl! :lol:

I hope you get the same sorta deal that Laser got to get his repaired!  :cool:  $15!!!! :jawdrop:

And here I thought I was cuttin' a fat hog getting by for "only" $60 to get mine fixed! :doh:  I dropped my boots off at the repair place, paid the guy the $60, and left feeling pretty good, until I read Laser's post. :banghead:  I just now stopped to realize I'm going to have close to $400 into these boots! :eek: They'd better make me ride like Toni Bou at my next trial, and not my normal Bony Toe! :lol:

Jimmie

I failed to mention that I provided the replacement Gaerne soles from RYP. The $15 was for the strip and bond only. I also put in some new "race" foot beds. If Alpinestars fit my calves, I'd probably switch for the increase in protection as my feet and shins get beat up pretty good sometimes.

I skimmed the thread excuse me if I missed anything.  Here's my take on the garne...  I have Hebo, I wore 2 pairs of them out, as of now, trying to pick my next pair/brand.  Fortunately, trying to keep Hebo's alive, I got through a local guy, Garne soles.  I was heavier, the soles were soo soft my pegs would "puncture" them, making my feet stick to the pegs.  if Garne had the Hebo soles, (harder rubber) I would buy em in a heartbeat, but I cannot do those gummy-bear soft soles.  

No.

My balanced oiled have held up well for the past three years, but I also wear other boots when trail riding.  Based on fit, comfort, etc I'd buy another pair.

Chuck,

I'm glad yours have held up well for you. That was kinda what I was hoping would happen to me. I would probably buy another set of these, but I'd do it with the attitude that I'll probably have to spend another $60 over the cost of the boots to have them "fixed". If the need for "fixing" never comes up, then I'll be happy.... But really, ya shouldn't have to do that, ya know?

So far, the repaired boots are holding up fine.......

Jimmie

I don't know how anybody rides with those flimsy boots. I think the best boot for trials is a cheap/soft MX boot. Something like a $200 fox boot is just right for flex and protection.

I don't know how anybody rides with those flimsy boots. I think the best boot for trials is a cheap/soft MX boot. Something like a $200 fox boot is just right for flex and protection.

If you rode I mean actually competed in trials you would understand...   :goofy:

I have SG-10's, they have held up but the arch is now flat & the cushion around the ankle has packed out.  For the price I expect more & my next boot will be A stars tech 3's.  For 180 bucks you can't be em

Edited by Toylee_roosta

Hmmmm. You should probably email Toni Bou, Adam Raga, Patrick Smage, & Ryan Young, and let them know this. It might help them to ride better........ :lol:

Actually, from a "support" perspective, I can kinda see where you're coming from. I got sore ankles once,about 6+ years ago from wearing old, worn out boots & riding vintage/evolution class mx. But a fairly large part of the sport of Trial is being in control, and you need "feel" to accpomplish that. The boots mentioned (I've owned a set of Fox Trackers & A-Star Tech 3s when I mxed; they're inexpensive...,) don't really facilitate that as well as "soft, flimsy" boots.... I actually do short practice sessions wearing tennis shoes, or my Danner hunting boots, a lot of the time. No ankle or related probs here...... :excuseme:

Jimmie

My Gaernes have been great. Three years old, I need to replace them, no problems at all. I use A Stars for moto, but I go back to the Gs if I ride any kind of off road. Funny thing, no cobbler around the Chattanooga area will work on trials boots. Next pair I buy will be Gaerne.

Twang Daddy

I've done little Trials competition so I don't have a lot of real world experience with Trials boots but  during the past five years I've experimented with five different boots. Based on that experience and alpine skiing I have some observations on boots and of course some opinions.

We wear boots for foot protection but we also need to be able to operate the bike, walk, have comfort, keep the feet dry, etc . So we have several possible conflicting requirements.

For MX because of the high speeds foot protection is at the top of list so plastic boots are the best choice.  It gets a bit more complex for trail riding because for my type of trail riding I need to be able to walk and for a lot of my riding areas I want dry feet.

Five pairs of boots:

An old pair of Gaerne leather boots; have a lug sole, and comfortable for walking and working controls. I've suffered several foot  injuries with these boots. One was a collision with a side hill rock at 20mph that broke off the foot peg, another from clipping a tree stump.

A pair of Tech 7s; great foot protection but couldn't feel the brakes, also couldn't walk because of their stiffness and slick sole. Might be great for MX but NOT for trail riding.

SIDI Crosfires; hinged ankle and thin toe box allows  working controls, and walking.  Great fit and comfort, I wear street socks. Plastic construction provides good foot protection. Quality construction with replacement parts. I can even fit shin protectors into the boots.

Gaerne Oiled Leather Trials boots; water proof, shorter than MX boots, lug sole, easy to walk in, very comfortable, only three buckles. These are  comfortable, my second favorite boots.

SIDI Crossfires with optional Enduro lug soles; all of the above but with traction for walking.  My favorite trail riding boots.

For Trials  riding I prefer the Gaerrnes because they are lighter, a bit more flexible, and  seem to be more water proof than the Crossfires.   And at the lower speeds of Trials I don't need as much foot protection and I do more walking than when I trail ride. 

YMMV

Anyone got a weight for comparison between the oiled Gaerns and some of the taller stiffer MX boots?

Swiss

Hee hee, I can't reply to the weight difference between my Gaerne Balance Oiled boots and my old A-star Tech 3s or my even older set of Fox boots...... But maybe part of my problem is that my boots are only rated at a half ton, & I have a 3/4 ton body..... :lol:

Jimmie

Edited by Mr. Neutron

Anyone got a weight for comparison between the oiled Gaerns and some of the taller stiffer MX boots?

Swiss

Can't help with weight since my boots are 1500 miles away.  But boot weight is below the CG of the bike so heavier boots would help bike stability. :thumbsup:

Seriously: Plastic boots are heavier than leather, the Gaerne oiled are shorter than MX boots which reduces weight further.  IMO the more important factors for Trials riding are ease of walking and traction, Gaerne Oiled are leather and easy for walking.  For MX you need foot protection, which usually means a stiff boot for walking.  For trail riding you also need walking, and at least in the PNW you need water protection. So for Trials, or trail riding I want a boot that is easy to walk in and has a lug sole. Besides a comfortable fit I want foot protection appropriate for the ride risks.  I would wear either boot for either type of riding but I prefer the added foot protection of the Crossfires for trail riding.

I've had enough foot injuries over the years from riding that foot protection has become more important.