Engine sounds harsh at higher RPMs and dies on blips?

08 SM, 3x3, yoshi exhaust, DJ jet kit.

I noticed my bike has a tendency of shutting off when I blip the throttle in succession (as if the revs are dropping too low after a blip), but usually won't shut off if I allow for some time between blips. In order to compensate for this so it won't don't die on the road as had happened several times before (and also because the engine doesn't always sound consistent when I set the idle lower), I turned up the idle a bit. However, upon doing this I've noticed that the engine sounds a bit harsher in the higher revs (compared to when using a lower idle at similar revs). Is this normal or what could be the issue? Should I mess with the accelerator pump or how would I make it more stable at a lower idle setting so the bike won't die as it revs down?

Edited by dave...

08 SM, 3x3, yoshi exhaust, DJ jet kit.

.......Should I mess with the accelerator pump.......

Is this an FCR. I don't know much about the CV paperweight but I don't think it has an AP ?  :thinking:

Clean carb . Correct jetting .. Don't " Blip" the throttle

Problem Solved

Is this an FCR. I don't know much about the CV paperweight but I don't think it has an AP ? :thinking:

Stock sm carb. I came across some threads suggesting adjusting the AP. Didn't know that was just for FCR.

Clean carb . Correct jetting .. Don't " Blip" the throttle

Problem Solved

Will clean carb again. TT extended fuel screw is set at 2.5 turns out, should I do more or less? I blip the throttle a couple times prior to taking off from starting as it seems to be a good indication if the bike will die when I come to a stop as had happened several times before.

You ' Blip ' to keep it alive

The issue is with the fuelling , you have correct carburation and no need to ' Blip '

The mikuni carb is a vacuum type and does not have an AP....slide lift is based on incoming air..

which DJ kit do you have.? DJ3109 or DJ3110

What needle clip position? 

Edited by Craigo 485sm

The mikuni carb is a vacuum type and does not have an AP....slide lift is based on incoming air..

which DJ kit do you have.? DJ3109 or DJ3110

What needle clip position?

No idea. Previous owner installed it and he's no help.

I'm at 1600ft. Which clip position should it be at?

From what i've been reading, DJ kits seem to tempermental. Should I just pony up for the JD kit?

Edited by dave...

No idea. Previous owner installed it and he's no help.

I'm at 1600ft. Which clip position should it be at?

From what i've been reading, DJ kits seem to tempermental. Should I just pony up for the JD kit?

Is it running ok when your riding it?...If so I would just leave it be....

You can tell the difference between the st 1 and 2 needles when their laying side by side, but that's not possible here...

clip position is different with either needle

I wouldn't spend up more on the stock carb, have you thought about stepping up to an Fcr conversion kit..IMO, that would be money well spent..

Is it running ok when your riding it?...If so I would just leave it be....

You can tell the difference between the st 1 and 2 needles when their laying side by side, but that's not possible here...

clip position is different with either needle

I wouldn't spend up more on the stock carb, have you thought about stepping up to an Fcr conversion kit..IMO, that would be money well spent..

Would this be the kit that I should install?

www.keihin-fcr.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=55

Is that a used or new carb ?

It says $400 ex tax