Sign in to follow this  

Pros and cons about 125 two strokes

I'm thinking about getting a 125 two stroke and just want to know some pos and cons about them? Also what is the best brand of 125 two stroke? Thanks:)

I'm thinking about getting a 125 two stroke and just want to know some pos and cons about them? Also what is the best brand of 125 two stroke? Thanks:)

I could give you lots of pros and lots of cons. Get the YZ you'll live it. 2ts are great bikes.

Generally speaking 125 two strokes are lightweight with a good power to weight ratio.  There is plenty of room around engine so it's easy to pull the carb and it is very easy to do a top end job.  On the downside there is lots of shifting and clutching required to stay in the meat of the powerband and really need to ring its neck (high RPMs) to get the most out of bike.

They are a lot of fun overall.  I have a RM125 and a YZ250.  The 125 almost feels like a mountain bike with an engine compared to my old crf450.

My son jake which i call the snake, born in 99 just got a very clean 02 yz 125 (coming off an 09 kx100) and i cant get him off of it. He has immediately stepped up and is clearing jumps so much easier. Great transition from the smaller bikes and very cheep to buy and maintain.

They're probably the most fun bikes you can ride. I had an 08 yz125 right off the show room floor and it was the most reliable bike ive owned.

Can't go wrong with a YZ, I'd stay away from the CRs, I say this because I own one. RM's are great bikes too! They are very practical bikes, fun, cheaper than bigger bikes (parts also), and simple to maintain.

• Like 1

Pros-

FUN

Light weight

FUN

Cheap cost if ownership

Premix smells good

FUN

Develops riding skills

FUN

wide open sounds good

Nostalgic

Oh yeah and they're tons of FUN.

Cons- uhhhhh.....can't think of any.

• Like 2

Two con's

1. they are down on power right off the corner so you will end up selling it for a bigger bike one day.

2. after you have the bigger bike a while you will miss your 125 and keep thinking about getting another one.

Pro's

1. Forces you to become a better rider.

2. Easy to work on

3. Most fun you will ever have on a dirt bike.

This list will never end but those are the biggest 3 pro's in my opinion.

Brand: I have become quite the KTM fan as of late. In the 125 ring the KTM or the YZ. Which ever I got the better deal on. Actually that is not true. I would buy a YZ125 or a KTM 150.

Edited by motojunkiedan

Two con's

1. they are down on power right off the corner so you will end up selling it for a bigger bike one day.

2. after you have the bigger bike a while you will miss your 125 and keep thinking about getting another one.

Pro's

1. Forces you to become a better rider.

2. Easy to work on

3. Most fun you will ever have on a dirt bike.

This list will never end but those are the biggest 3 pro's in my opinion.

Brand: I have become quite the KTM fan as of late. In the 125 ring the KTM or the YZ. Which ever I got the better deal on. Actually that is not true. I would buy a YZ125 or a KTM 150.

150 solves that. Or a Husky 165 big bore!!

I love my 02 YZ125. I'd only sell it for a new one. You didn't say your age or how experienced you were, but once you get to the age where you fit comfortably on the bike you will have a blast and learn alot about riding.

As far as which brand to buy I'd say pick your favorite color. There are small differences between makes. Just make sure you look up the quirks for each bike for whichever year you decide to get

If you got the money to splurge a bit, I'd get an 06 YZ125. They have the nice aluminum frames and nicer suspension than previous years

I love my 02 YZ125. I'd only sell it for a new one. You didn't say your age or how experienced you were, but once you get to the age where you fit comfortably on the bike you will have a blast and learn alot about riding.

As far as which brand to buy I'd say pick your favorite color. There are small differences between makes. Just make sure you look up the quirks for each bike for whichever year you decide to get

If you got the money to splurge a bit, I'd get an 06 YZ125. They have the nice aluminum frames and nicer suspension than previous years

Don't rule out the older steel frame bike though. They are still very good. A 04 YZ125 is still very good compared to a 06.