Electrical problem!

Hi

05 S(M), had the bike for few months now.

While out testing the carb jetting today, the bike died at a stop sign (I'm not sure if it was my fault or not :) )

All power went out! No lights, speedometer or idiot lights. Just completely dead!

I was able to push start it. Headlight was dimmed (like it was getting half power) and the speedometer LCD was flashing all info on screen as 888's,

then LCD would go out like every second or two.

Few days ago, I noticed occasional buzzing or shorting sound coming from around (behind?) ignition area on the dash,

happened only when starting the bike. I replaced the relay but it didn't help.

I put off looking at it more till I was done adjusting the carb, but it obviously caught up to me. :banghead:

About couple of months ago I installed new LED turn signals and stop light. Also put in an LED correcting relay I got off eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-7-Pin-Relay-FIX-Fast-No-Flashing-Flasher-For-Suzuki-Bike-LED-Turn-Signal-/360644910060?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53f81c9bec&vxp=mtr

I'm pretty sure I wired everything correctly, it's been working fine till just a few days ago when I discovered that buzzing/shorting sound when starting...

While looking at the wiring and relay I found that previous owner wired in IC relay from DRC http://www.drcproducts.com/elect/d45-69/index.html

Unknowingly I was running that DRC IC relay along with the LED correcting relay I got off eBay.

Would they conflict? and fry each other?

So far I tried:

Tested the battery with engine off:

ignition on, it fluctuates ~11.5V to ~12.5V

ignition off holds at 13.05V

Tried a diff. relay, no luck.

Any ideas?

Start unplugging you speedo to see if buzzing sound stops.check for burnt conections or wires that are pinched behind the headlight.check your battery charging voltage as well

To install the DRC relay, the two wires going from your harness to the 7 pin relay (which you replaced with the ebay LED one) are disconnected from the back of the plug that the 7 pin relay unit plugs into, and is rather routed to the two colored wires on the DRC unit which has a third wire that is grounded, meaning that you are not actually running both relays, as the relay in the 7 pin unit is bypassed. You could remove the DRC unit and rewire the harness to the plug that goes into your 7 pin unit. The DRC unit flashes better in my opinion, as the ebay ones can often give a very faint first flash. This isn't guaranteed to solve your problems, but it eliminates some potential issues and wiring.

As for the dying dash, I had those same symptoms when the 3 wire plug from my stator to the R/R was badly corroded and burnt. Might be worth it to check that plug and any other ones while at it.

Start unplugging you speedo to see if buzzing sound stops.check for burnt conections or wires that are pinched behind the headlight.check your battery charging voltage as well

To install the DRC relay, the two wires going from your harness to the 7 pin relay (which you replaced with the ebay LED one) are disconnected from the back of the plug that the 7 pin relay unit plugs into, and is rather routed to the two colored wires on the DRC unit which has a third wire that is grounded, meaning that you are not actually running both relays, as the relay in the 7 pin unit is bypassed. You could remove the DRC unit and rewire the harness to the plug that goes into your 7 pin unit. The DRC unit flashes better in my opinion, as the ebay ones can often give a very faint first flash. This isn't guaranteed to solve your problems, but it eliminates some potential issues and wiring.

As for the dying dash, I had those same symptoms when the 3 wire plug from my stator to the R/R was badly corroded and burnt. Might be worth it to check that plug and any other ones while at it.

Thanks guys

The bike was completely dead (no power to headlight, speedo, etc.), except for the batt. which was showing ~13.05V

Thank you for the info on the DRC relay, and the 3 wire plug from stator to R/R, I appreciate it.

Before reading reply's here, I found a suggestion posted by shift1313 over at SMJ http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?134990-Starter-relay-Help-please-drz400-sm&p=1541531#post1541531 to check the wire going from R/R to battery.

As soon as I touched it. it fell apart in my hands! The connectors were so badly corroded there were pieces of metal inside the coupler.

IMG_1288_zps9e479296.jpg

IMG_1289_zpsf309a641.jpg

Ended up stripping the wires, putting new connectors and wrapping 'em in electrical tape, just in case... Also cleaned the whole area.

All good now! :thumbsup:

IMG_1290_zpsd82fc3ae.jpg

Thanks again guys! :thumbsup:

Glad you found the problem:) I've had my rr conection go bad as well. Checking the charging voltage showed there was a problem.i lube all my conections with dielectric grease. Haven't had a problem since

Edited by mickeydee

I'm glad you found it, it's always a good feeling when you troubleshoot and fix your own bike. :thumbsup:

Glad you found the problem:) I've had my rr conection go bad as well. Checking the charging voltage showed there was a problem.i lube all my conections with dielectric grease. Haven't had a problem since

Thanks for the tip on dielectric grease, I'm gonna have to get some of that stuff!

I'm glad you found it, it's always a good feeling when you troubleshoot and fix your own bike. :thumbsup:

Thank you, yes, I'm happy :D  This one was fairly easy to spot.