Sign in to follow this  

2002 CR250r Triple Clamp and Water pump

Hi Everyone

I have a 2002 CR250R and I have been looking at aftermarket triple clamps to add to my bike and was wondering if i could upgrade to a later model triple clamp so i could apply later model fender and number plate plastics to my bike. But im am not sure about what year i can go up considering i'm trying to avoid machining parts to fit, since im trying to stick to a budget.

Also are all water pumps the same from 02 and up?

If anyone can shed some light on the matter, it would be extremly appreciated.

Thank you

Hi Everyone

I have a 2002 CR250R and I have been looking at aftermarket triple clamps to add to my bike and was wondering if i could upgrade to a later model triple clamp so i could apply later model fender and number plate plastics to my bike. But im am not sure about what year i can go up considering i'm trying to avoid machining parts to fit, since im trying to stick to a budget.

Also are all water pumps the same from 02 and up?

If anyone can shed some light on the matter, it would be extremly appreciated.

Thank you

Look on ebay or craigslist for a 20mm offsett triple clamp. It's supposed to improve turning. It did on my 01 cr and I have a triple clamp that was supposed to be for an 02' 450 honda. I forget what clamps cross over but I think the early years like yours ought to be relatively easy to find.. or just wait a little and see what's on ebay. If you are going to get a waterpump look for a boyesen. It costs more.. even used it doesn't come up alot but does come up. ..If you want to be frugal just wait and keep watching.. If you don't want to wait it's worth it to me to buy new.. but just shop around at all the motorcycle outlets..rockymountain , dennis kirk, motosport,chapparall.. make your rounds and check.. sometimes it's just the right time when they just want to dump stock. 

Here's an old tt post.. There's more. Put searches in "forums" and you can get lots of info.. You can also put a bigger front tire 21-90/100  . I have a 20" for my cr and it's great but not practical for the other bikes . .junk choice of tires.   ... Are you having overheating problems? .. I would think you should be able to buy cheap big ebay chinese radiators for your bike by now. My cr I can get some big rads for $100 or less these days.  ...good luck shopping!! There's a pile of deals out there.. just have to take your time.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/444862-best-triple-clamp-offset-for-early-crf450/

http://www.rg3suspension.com/p_triple_clamps_applications.php

This is a deal for rads..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WINNER-L-R-aluminum-alloy-radiator-Honda-CRF450R-CRF-450-R-2002-2003-2004-/260902434090?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2002%7CMake%3AHonda&hash=item3cbeff352a&vxp=mtr

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

i like 20mm offset triples and have them on my 05 cr500 afc, and 05 cr250.

here is the brake down of oem triples

97-07 cr 250 24 mm offset and all interchange.  (single bolt front number plate mount change from front to top of triple in 04)

CRF 250

04-07 24 mm offset  (bolt right up, except for the mount change form the front to the top of the triple for the number plate) 

08-09 22 mm offset  (number plate is different - mounts on top of top triple, but fender still has the same bolt pattern in lower triple)

10-13 20 mm offset  (number plate is different and fender, also lower bearing on triple has to be exchanged with one from 22 or 24 mm offset)  BTW upper and lower stem bearings

on 24 and 22 are the same.  Also the 20's come with 48mm forks so the triple will have to be shimmed with .012"-.016" so your 47mm forks will not fit to loose. Make sure the shims are 95% around the fork tube and at least the same high as the triple is tall.   

CRF 450 

02-07 24 mm offset (same as 24's above)

08      22mm offset (same as 22's above)

09-13 20mm offset (same as 20's above)

so if you want 20mm offset on a gen 1,2,or 3.  you must change out the lower bearing on the stem or race in the frame.  Run the correct front fender and number plate and shim the forks.  

• Like 1

Look on ebay or craigslist for a 20mm offsett triple clamp. It's supposed to improve turning. It did on my 01 cr and I have a triple clamp that was supposed to be for an 02' 450 honda. I forget what clamps cross over but I think the early years like yours ought to be relatively easy to find.. or just wait a little and see what's on ebay. If you are going to get a waterpump look for a boyesen. It costs more.. even used it doesn't come up alot but does come up. ..If you want to be frugal just wait and keep watching.. If you don't want to wait it's worth it to me to buy new.. but just shop around at all the motorcycle outlets..rockymountain , dennis kirk, motosport,chapparall.. make your rounds and check.. sometimes it's just the right time when they just want to dump stock. 

Here's an old tt post.. There's more. Put searches in "forums" and you can get lots of info.. You can also put a bigger front tire 21-90/100  . I have a 20" for my cr and it's great but not practical for the other bikes . .junk choice of tires.   ... Are you having overheating problems? .. I would think you should be able to buy cheap big ebay chinese radiators for your bike by now. My cr I can get some big rads for $100 or less these days.  ...good luck shopping!! There's a pile of deals out there.. just have to take your time.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/444862-best-triple-clamp-offset-for-early-crf450/

http://www.rg3suspension.com/p_triple_clamps_applications.php

This is a deal for rads..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WINNER-L-R-aluminum-alloy-radiator-Honda-CRF450R-CRF-450-R-2002-2003-2004-/260902434090?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2002%7CMake%3AHonda&hash=item3cbeff352a&vxp=mtr

I did buy a new GPI Radiator with new Y hose and hoses, i was just think about getting a Boysen water pump to get more flow, but i haven't found a pump to fit my 02 CR. Are there are good brands out there to use? Or were all the pumps 02 to 07 the same?

Thanks for the feed back. Been massively helpful.

right on kirkes got it all laid out with the triple clamps.. I don't know of any brands beyond boyesen for waterpumps. I searched in the beginning and just bought boyesen in the end. It's good and a quality product.  I got some phathead cool heads for larger water volume in the head and the ability to change domes for high compression etc if I wanted. I put mine close to stock dome mainly for cooling and stock the bike has a bunch of power as it is. It's not a needed thing but it does help with cooling and for what you get I think it's very reasonable. Still I'd get more important stuff first .

http://www.phatheadracing.com/cr250.html