Sign in to follow this  

CRF Disc / Brake pads - street

I have an XR600 with  2004 CRF forks, caliper and front wheel.

I find the brakes could do with a bit of an upgrade, ride most to and from work 

Recomandtaion on a good pad/disc combo  ?

Thanks

XR and CRF use the same caliper so nothing to be gained there.

Stock rotor is 250ish mm, I've found 270mm, 280mm, and 320mm.  

320mm is pretty extreme for off road but the best braking onroad.
I'm gonna go with the 280mm as I have 2 sets of wheels and will have to have the same setup for the offroad wheel. 

Braided steel brake lines sometimes make a noticeable difference (if the rubber lines are shot mostly).

Can't help on pads but see a lot of dissatisfaction with aftermarket and "just use stock" advice.

Are you sure everything else is up to snuff?  No air bubbles, master cyl functioning correctly. 

I'm with you though, for street use, they are marginal.  I'll be buying the 280mm  (found for $169 with the caliper bracket)  at some point this week.  I'll get a braided line for it too as the stocker is very old. (85 XR35, but the line isn't that old)

DId you use the CRF caliper bracket? If  not you are only getting about 1/2 the caliper/pad coverage. 

If you don't care about offroad, there is a Galfar (sp) 320mm (nice) rotor WITH a Brembo 4 piston caliper ($$)  on ebay right now.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/190897383018?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649

I'm actually the high bidder right now, but it will go higher and I'm done bidding as I realized (duh) that I have to run the same setup on both wheels.  
Don't really NEED it anyway, I don't ride that hard to need maximum braking. Just the bling factor.  LOL  

Would need the Brembo master cyl ($) but that's a $1,200 kit with everything.   

Feel to free to bid on it. 

I'm getting 2 of these.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/181139676954?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Here's mine,  I have a new 19" front wheel for the street with a Shinko 705 on it. The wheel in the pic had a knobbie now.   :)   WP_000134_zpsf7b559f6.jpg

Edited by MindBlower
  • Like 1

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I have the CRF bracket so getting full coverage. 

Everthing is up to spec, but need new pads. 

Will look into a bigger disk and adapter. Think it's needed :-) 

No problem that I'm in Norway, Epray works pretty well. Got my Crf front end there.