First cr500. Now what?

So I just bought my self a 87 cr500, I just re built it and the bike runs amazing, best fun I've had on a bike, I'm curious on what I should do to it? I've noticed it get warm easy on tight tracks. Also is it possible to fit the newer model plastics from the alloy frames to the bike? Thanks

Post a pic

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378897945.604622.jpg

You can put a newer front fender on it.  If you want plastics from an aluminum framed bike, you will need to put that engine into an aluminum frame.  I wouldn't do anything to it.  Just ride it.   :ride:

The water pumps generally are corroded on those older CR500's. The newer 1990 and newer side covers bolt right on and have water pumps that don't dissapear. You WILL have to do some creative stuff with the hoses to get them working thought with  this swap.

What kind of coolant are you running? DId you flush the system with something that eats the gunk out?

Leave plastic stock IMO, it's the nicest CR500 steely !! 

im not a fan of black plastic,but gosh dang that bike looks sick bro!!!

Thanks guys, I already replaced the water pump seal and the water pump looks brand new, I haven't flushed the radiators but have put new coolant in, I just put that red stuff in but I've been told my local Ktm shop has some ice coolant stuff so might try that, I'm waiting on new radiator hoses, and few other parts, been re bored to 91mm aswell, I love the bike but I don't really see what all the fuss is about with cr500s being scaring, I love the bike! Can't get enough of it but I want more power, and maybe new tyres.... 640 big bore kit would be interesting

That is nt a 87 in the pic you posted. Looks more like a 93

Yeah at least the forks could'nt be from the 80's.. its a hard angle to tell but it def looks like a 90's cr.

Thanks guys, I already replaced the water pump seal and the water pump looks brand new, I haven't flushed the radiators but have put new coolant in, I just put that red stuff in but I've been told my local Ktm shop has some ice coolant stuff so might try that, I'm waiting on new radiator hoses, and few other parts, been re bored to 91mm aswell, I love the bike but I don't really see what all the fuss is about with cr500s being scaring, I love the bike! Can't get enough of it but I want more power, and maybe new tyres.... 640 big bore kit would be interesting

Are you riding on roads? ;)

Now that you have your first fye hunritt, it's time to update your life insurance policy.

The frame is 87 but last owner changed the front end to a newer front so it had better forks

Kcdavis were I live in Australia there's a lot of open roads in the bush, plenty of room to open it full but there all dirt still

Just ride the piss out of it!

So I just bought my self a 87 cr500, I just re built it and the bike runs amazing, best fun I've had on a bike, I'm curious on what I should do to it? I've noticed it get warm easy on tight tracks. Also is it possible to fit the newer model plastics from the alloy frames to the bike? Thanks

i hope you releived the exhaust port bridge, or youll be rebuilding it again soon.

My mechanic never mentioned this too me, and I've never heard of it being done before, so I read abit about it on here, what exactly needs to be done to relieve the exhaust port

I read threw a bunch of different post some say do it, some say once its bored out don't worry, I've done 13 hours and about 200kmhs so far with out an issue, and I ride hard. Is it really worth stripping the bike down again

I read threw a bunch of different post some say do it, some say once its bored out don't worry, I've done 13 hours and about 200kmhs so far with out an issue, and I ride hard. Is it really worth stripping the bike down again

look, it might be fine... but mine seized a piston when i didnt releive the bridge. and who knows, the mechanic might already of done it?

the problem will usually occur during a sustained period of full throttle engine use(high rpm), followed by a closed throttle all the way down to slow speed.

but sounds like its working fine so maybe your all safe...

Actually now that u say that on my last ride I held it full throttle then the bike shut down but didn't seize, just slowed down, so I popped the clutch a few times trying to start it but no luck, came to a stop kicked her over and all good, finished the day of with an 80k ride, so I don't know what that was