2014 TE 250 in the house

I had such a good run with my 2011 250 (250 hours of trouble free riding) that I bought the same again.

Out the front of the dealership

1011645_1398152933745094_1420812030_n_zp

I sold the old berg to a local guy who runs a two stroke performance engineering shop. In a contra deal I reduced the price a bit and he said he would do my cylinder and modify an SX head for the new berg.

I also added a few things like..renthal bars I like, bark busters, taller seat, race tech p15 spring,lower pegs, disc guard, steering damper(some of these were left over from the old berg.
The carby got a rejet (RM needles and combo) and the float height lowered 1.5mm

Interestingly the new 2014 head design is quite different to the old heads. In stock trim, along with the new 2014 CDI the power was very linear, almost no hit or power band at all (even with sharper jetting)
I think this is what KTM wanted to do this year. I rode a mates 2014 6day 250 too and that is the same.

So my cylinder had a clean up, exhaust ports altered slightly and the PV and exhaust tract polished.
The 2014 SX head was shaved to 1mm squish (standard Berg head was 1.65mm and 165psi) and cc to 25.8cc (210psi). I added the new 2014 SXCDI to get it to rev out (it works well with the high comp head) this made a very noticeable difference. A long muffler let's it rev further.

The forks are slightly softer than the brilliant 2011 CC berg forks. I'm not sure about these forks yet but they were OK on the first ride. Some bedding in time will help both ends.
The rest of the bike felt fine, nice turning front end, rear end was good (for PDS ha ha) and the overall feel was stable and comfortable which is what I want in a proper enduro/ride all day bike.

The motor was similar. an all day engine. Good off idle grunt, a fat and quick reving midrange and a decent rev out and top end that keeps pulling. No hit or kick of power anywhere. Some tweaking of the jetting is what I will do before the next ride, the needle, clip position and main were fine but I'll go a smaller pilot next time out as the airscrew wouldn't solve the larger pilot I used. Still very ridable though, just some fine tuning.

This new power delivery might sound boring to some but it still has sharp two stroke power, just smoother

I suspect not too many people will modify their trail bikes to this extent but I like to tinker. I'm going to have this bike for a few years to come so I like to have it just right for me straight up

In any case here are some pics of the build. I'm keen to get more hours on it.
I'd be keen to hear how others are finding their 2014 2 strokes

004_zpsf314748f.jpg

P1040805_zps2e9e5506.jpg

P1040810_zpsd375c4fd.jpg

1014231_1401620906731630_906479163_n_zps

P1040877_zps9d44d560.jpg

Edited by riles

Nice, looks great.

Very nice.... Don't get rid of that one, it's the last year of the great Bergs!

Nice write up mate. I hope to catch ya out on the trails soon

Very nice bike and very interesting to read about your engine modifications.

I see you have these..whats it called Steg Pegz? To better grip the bike with your boots. I live in Norway, but subscribe to the Aussie Dirt Action magazine, and I read a test about these pegz where they were highly recommended. Haven´t seen them for sale in Europe or any of the US online shops though.

Liked your bike, not often you see a brand spanking new enduro bike stripped down for engine modifications :-).. I am still on my old 2011 TE 250..apprx 205 trouble free hrs on it now, going for 300 hrs before retiring it. Definetely going for a 250 again sometime next year, either a Berg or the "new" Husky.

Very nice bike and very interesting to read about your engine modifications.

I see you have these..whats it called Steg Pegz? To better grip the bike with your boots. I live in Norway, but subscribe to the Aussie Dirt Action magazine, and I read a test about these pegz where they were highly recommended. Haven´t seen them for sale in Europe or any of the US online shops though.

Liked your bike, not often you see a brand spanking new enduro bike stripped down for engine modifications :-).. I am still on my old 2011 TE 250..apprx 205 trouble free hrs on it now, going for 300 hrs before retiring it. Definetely going for a 250 again sometime next year, either a Berg or the "new" Husky.

They are a great product. At first they act like a reminder to grip the bikes with your legs, but you notice them even more when you jump on a mates bike that doesn't have them.

I made my own for my last bike and liked them that much that I bought them for my new bike. This is the link to their site on how they work

http://www.stegzmoto.com.au/STEG-PEGZ.html

Good looking bikes.  Love the blue rims :thumbsup:

Good looking bike. What are the balls on the rear spokes?

Good looking bike. What are the balls on the rear spokes?

Wheel weights, to balance the wheel/ rim lock

beautiful bike. :thumbsup:

Very sweet!

I read that you guys are getting 250-300 hours out of these bikes. Are you replacing piston and rings somewhere in between? I've had my 13 TE 250 since march of 13, have 66 hours on it. Love this bike! My neighbor has a TE 300 and at 90-100 hours he decided to replace the piston and rings. I don't feel any noticeable power loss.

Just interested in what you have done if anything.

Thanks!

I read that you guys are getting 250-300 hours out of these bikes. Are you replacing piston and rings somewhere in between? I've had my 13 TE 250 since march of 13, have 66 hours on it. Love this bike! My neighbor has a TE 300 and at 90-100 hours he decided to replace the piston and rings. I don't feel any noticeable power loss. Just interested in what you have done if anything. Thanks!

Rackless,

I usually replace the piston and rings at around 100 hours. I always measure up the worn piston and rings -and I won't go into measurements here but let's say they were 80% worn out. I believe a piston is a sacrificial part, especially on a two stroke dirt bike. I'm sure people get longer out of them but this frequency is what I like to do. I never have issues with worn cylinder plating and I have excellent performance and compression for the life of the bike for just a few hundred dollars and some quality tinkering time in the garage.

I now have 18 hours on the bike and it's running fine.

The new forks are not as good as the old CC forks IMO. I've tried a few combos with the clickers but gee those 2011, 2012 CC forks were good.

The motor has taken a few hours to bed in and run right. It pulls extremely hard in the mid range so I've gone back to the standard yellow spring on the PV to even that out a bit.

Very pleased with it overall

(it doesn't look new anymore after lots of tight overgrown single trail)

Rackless,

I usually replace the piston and rings at around 100 hours. I always measure up the worn piston and rings -and I won't go into measurements here but let's say they were 80% worn out. I believe a piston is a sacrificial part, especially on a two stroke dirt bike. I'm sure people get longer out of them but this frequency is what I like to do. I never have issues with worn cylinder plating and I have excellent performance and compression for the life of the bike for just a few hundred dollars and some quality tinkering time in the garage.

I now have 18 hours on the bike and it's running fine.

The new forks are not as good as the old CC forks IMO. I've tried a few combos with the clickers but gee those 2011, 2012 CC forks were good.

The motor has taken a few hours to bed in and run right. It pulls extremely hard in the mid range so I've gone back to the standard yellow spring on the PV to even that out a bit.

Very pleased with it overall

(it doesn't look new anymore after lots of tight overgrown single trail)

Thanks for the info. Mine too is a little tired looking after hammering it through the woods, desert and a few rounds of MX.

So I`m on a crf450 and thinking burg. I`m a trail rider , with few races a year , would a 250 or 300 suit me more.

I traded (parked) my CRF450R for a 2014 TE300 and absolutely love this bike. Only had it about a month so far but we've been on some epic rides. IMO the only difference between the 250 and 300 is how and where the power hits. So tjg53 it all depends on how you like to ride, if you like to feel a hit and power band then get the 250 but if a more linear power delivery is what you like (like me) then IMO the 300 is the bike.

OP (riles) I like what you've done, not in the cards for me though, this bike of mine is just fine the way it is. I've installed the usual protective equipment and I will be getting the springs done soon though before my 200lb butt bottoms out the suspension one more time. I see you're running a CF pipe guard, are you also using a flange protector? I've heard of several people with these CF guards hitting something and sheering the pipe and mount right off the motor.

. I see you're running a CF pipe guard, are you also using a flange protector? I've heard of several people with these CF guards hitting something and sheering the pipe and mount right off the motor.

Pitbull, thanks, I've put some more hours on this 250 since the original post and it's going very well.

Note, I didn't like the 4cs forks for the first few rides but since making some more clicker adjustments and resetting my rear sag the forks have come good, in fact just as good as my previous Bergs CC forks.

I run a CF guard and like it. I ran one on the previous berg and never had a problem or dent. I run them on all my 2Ts. A couple of times, after a big hit (or just time and usage) the flange seals start to leak and I would have to take off the pipe, new Orings and High temp silicone and it would be good for another 6 months or so.

I don't use a flange protector. I've read of the dramas you mention but have never seen it or heard anyone have that problem here.

Good luck with the 300, nice choice.

Got a couple rides on my new 2014 TE250, really nice bike so far. Am actually impressed with the suspension even on the first ride. Set the Sag and didn't touch clickers on the first go and so far so good, will start playing with them after a couple more hours ride time.

Motor is good, linear for sure. Had my last head cut and jetted really well, so the same treatment will be given to this one. It's strong, but not like the last bike was - something that'll change after the head cut.

Only complaint is the seat cover... paper thin and ripped first ride. Not even a good story, just leaned it against a tree to look at a climb, came back and it had moved a few inches and ripped the seat wide open. Will be getting a new cover this week.

Stock MX51's are god awful, but those will be replace in pretty short order too. Brakes are excellent, and am very impressed with how light the bike feels both on two wheels and picking it up. 

Looking fwd to getting it sorted out.

Pittbull thanks for the feed back. The dealer has a 250 but not a 300. I don`t know if he`ll get any more in. And I see that most 250 rides seem to what to hop there 250`s up to get what they want out of it. So I`m wondering , 250 , ok , or try and hold out for a 300 ?

Pittbull thanks for the feed back. The dealer has a 250 but not a 300. I don`t know if he`ll get any more in. And I see that most 250 rides seem to what to hop there 250`s up to get what they want out of it. So I`m wondering , 250 , ok , or try and hold out for a 300 ?

All the Berg dealers in SoCal are saying that if a dealer doesnt have a 300....there is almost 0 chance of getting one at this point. I thought the 250 would not be enough to keep me happy.......man was I wrong. Great bike! Good power. A few tweaks and I dont think I'd be able to tell the difference between the 250 or a 300. IMO