Sign in to follow this  

Michigan Mi. Trails and Tracks

Thought I'd throw up this thread so that everybody can do organize rides, do ride reports, etc. Hopefully it works out well and we have a few "take overs" at some local tracks/trails.  :thumbsup:  I'd encourage giving your name and phone # to the guy(s) you're going to ride with just in case something goes south and doesn't work out, can organize future rides together, have a beer, etc.

This weekend (9/14-15/13) there is a race at Portland Trail Riders in Portland, Michigan. portlandtrailriders.com

I plan being there mid afternoon, maybe a little bit earlier. I'll definitely have an RV set-up, and may or may not have a red Dodge Magnum. I'll be on the bike in my picture A buddy of mine will be with me as well in a Black crew cab Silverado with an enclosed trailer. He should have a few Hondas with #396.

So far, I believe that I have one guy from here that will be going , J_WR2fitty. I'd really love to have a few more guys on here to come out, shoot the breeze, and watch me break my leg again.  :ride:   :cripple:   I know it's a good bit short notice, but I still hope there's a few of you that can come out!!

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1039182-michigan-roll-call/

I'm going! Ill be with my buddy who's racing #83. My bike is in bad shape so I won't have a bike there but I'd love to meet with some guys from here. Thatd be pretty cool.

• Like 2

I'm going! Ill be with my buddy who's racing #83. My bike is in bad shape so I won't have a bike there but I'd love to meet with some guys from here. Thatd be pretty cool.

Cool! We should be by the entrance to the property. What'll you guys be driving?

Tbh I'm not sure yet. Either a black GMC Denali with big work boxes in the back. Or a Blue ford focus eith a funny looking front bumper. The focus was also sticker bombed at a race so its got mx stickers all over it.

Yep, still planning on it. Unless work does what my work does...and i find out fri afternoon i have to work sat. Then i may or may not come at all. Two jumps i know i can do that i didnt last race here...and it was a position killer. So not sure ima bother racin if i cant practice!!

Anyhow, ill be in vet c, am program for races. Mostly white with red n black yz250f... #210...silver 07 f150.

OK. I'll be running the AM non-current on Sunday. It's supposed to rain, so it should be interesting. J_WR, I think you'll be racing against my buddy. He'll either be on a CRF450 or a CR500, I'm not exactly sure which he'll be on.

I'll be in the red Dodge magnum w/ black trailer and 2 bikes, the #38 CR500 and a Yamaha TTR-125L. There should be a Passport RV as well. I'll be by the entrance.

• Like 1

OK. I'll be running the AM non-current on Sunday. It's supposed to rain, so it should be interesting. J_WR, I think you'll be racing against my buddy. He'll either be on a CRF450 or a CR500, I'm not exactly sure which he'll be on.

I'll be in the red Dodge magnum w/ black trailer and 2 bikes, the #38 CR500 and a Yamaha TTR-125L. There should be a Passport RV as well. I'll be by the entrance.

?

TTR FTW! :D:lol:

he ridin 30+ c? Thats what im ridin.

Also, i thought i seen the showers were more afternoon'ish. So we, in the AM program, wouldnt deal with it. Plus, last race I did here couple months ago, it was like 97* on practice sat, and 92-94ish on race day. Kinda lookin forward to upper 60s LOL

Edited by J_WR2fitty

he ridin 30+ c? Thats what im ridin.

Also, i thought i seen the showers were more afternoon'ish. So we, in the AM program, wouldnt deal with it. Plus, last race I did here couple months ago, it was like 97* on practice sat, and 92-94ish on race day. Kinda lookin forward to upper 60s LOL

I believe that he is. I saw the chance of rain as well, gonna be bringing my rain gear just in case. I was there on race day when it was like that when I was still in a full leg cast. It SUCKED. This weekend will be much better.

I'm debating if I'm gonna come out to portland this weekend. Depends upon the weather forecast as of tomorrow and also if I feel like takin a risk. My suspension is way too stiff and when I raced there at the beginning of the season there were lots of potholes/kickers on the jumps that got kinda gnarly. Cant afford to get hurt right now (or ever for that matter).

I'm debating if I'm gonna come out to portland this weekend. Depends upon the weather forecast as of tomorrow and also if I feel like takin a risk. My suspension is way too stiff and when I raced there at the beginning of the season there were lots of potholes/kickers on the jumps that got kinda gnarly. Cant afford to get hurt right now (or ever for that matter).

Lookin' like a 30% chance of rain on Sunday. Temps will be mid-high 60s. I say go for it!

Slight detail change on my end. Will be in a grey-ish blue 4 Door Silverado with a silver bed cover. Will be there around 11:00. Like mentioned before I'll have the bike in my picture and a TTR125L on a black trailer. There will be an RV with me later on in the afternoon.

Truck is similar to this:

SHOCWAVAVATAR.jpg

Lookin' like a 30% chance of rain on Sunday. Temps will be mid-high 60s. I say go for it!

Well I just got home from work and got my bike back together after replacing the airboot. Holy shit what a difference, bikes running awesome! I also messed with the rebound clickers instead of just the compression...It was hard to tell since I could only put around the yard, but holy shit it seemed to feel like a whole new bike, I could bounce it up and down so easy unlike before where I had to use the front brake all the way to even compress the forks. To top it all off, I stopped on the way home and splurged on a neck brace and chest protector, something i've been meaning to get for a LONG time now.

I want to race so bad this weekend, but its gonna be chilly and ALL my camping shit is in storage upstate. My option is to get a motel room or something since my lansing buddies have moved out of town so I'm trying to figure this out. I would just crash in the car but this one is pretty uncomfortable.

Edit: Well I did at least just realize this. I'm coming out for sat practice for sure, because even if I can't figure out a sleeping situation I can head over to kalamazoo in the evening and crash with friends there and ride @ martin on sunday. But if I know me i'll make it happen, especially because I want to race sunday if this suspension is actually working right. Excited to actually meet some riding buddies - I'm an easy guy to find in a crowd. Tall and really skinny, 6'1" 140 lbs short blond hair but probably wearing the white alpinestars hat (with dirt and grease all over it lol). I'll be driving a gold 2010 ford fusion with the red harbor frieght open trailer with a red CR125 #329. I'll be lookin for people don't hesitate to say something first if you see me, obviously, my name is dan.

Edited by dan2581

Ill be there. I'm a little shorter. Ill have a US Army hoodie on

Are you gonna be riding or just hangin out?

Edit: Just read the above posts and realized you said your bikes out of commission and your goin with a buddy.

Edited by dan2581

Edit: Well I did at least just realize this. I'm coming out for sat practice for sure, because even if I can't figure out a sleeping situation I can head over to kalamazoo in the evening and crash with friends there and ride @ martin on sunday. But if I know me i'll make it happen, especially because I want to race sunday if this suspension is actually working right. Excited to actually meet some riding buddies - I'm an easy guy to find in a crowd. Tall and really skinny, 6'1" 140 lbs short blond hair but probably wearing the white alpinestars hat (with dirt and grease all over it lol). I'll be driving a gold 2010 ford fusion with the red harbor frieght open trailer with a red CR125 #329. I'll be lookin for people don't hesitate to say something first if you see me, obviously, my name is dan.

Ill be there. I'm a little shorter. Ill have a US Army hoodie on

Sweet!! I'll keep an eye out for you guys. I'll probably be wearing Honda/Fox riding pants, white sweatshirt and a Marines hat. Name's Eli.

Sweet!! I'll keep an eye out for you guys. I'll probably be wearing Honda/Fox riding pants, white sweatshirt and a Marines hat. Name's Eli.

Likewise, I think the CR500 will give you away!

I'm packin up all my shit right now, feelin like a kid on christmas eve haha!

Just realized I have everything except 2 crucial components....I'm down to only a gallon of race gas (i'll use pump tho race just works better in my bike) and about 4 oz of klotz...Gonna have to make some stops in the morning. :(

Edited by dan2581

Update. Ill be in an 02 GMC Denali with a flat open short bed trailer with a 03 kx125 on it and a 08 kxf250 with 83 all over it. Seeya there

Back from the track. Pulled in yesterday afternoon, a bit later than anticipated due to a massive crash on the highway. (4 ambulances, helicopter, etc.) I'm the midst of unloading Pushc came up and introduced himself. We chatted for a bit while I was unloading and he went back to where he was set up. (Sorry I didn't come chat afterwards or today, had to stick around with the Grandpa and I was having some bike troubles.) Didn't see J_WR or Dan at the track. Not sure if there weren't able to make it or I just didn't see them.

The practice sessions went well; took it easy since I'm still coming back from a broken leg. Had a low-side but it was no big deal. Track was pretty rough, but could've been worse. It was pretty fun blitzing them, I'll admit. The bike had some issues running in the mid-top range, so I wasn't really able to get the speed needed to launch some of the doubles/tripples. 

The track on race day was MUCH smoother, but was quite wallowy. Bike was running worse, ended up screwing with the needle and the timing, but it didn't help at all. I'll be digging into the bike later this week to find out what the deal is. The first moto I ended up pulling a DNF due to the bike problems. Yea, I could've finished the race, but I didn't feel like having the bike die on me on the far side of the track and needing to be pushed all the way back. Moto 2 went a bit better; bike ran a little better, took on some doubles that I wasn't before, and I completed the race.

Tell ya what, you get some interesting looks riding a bike from 86' among all the new bikes. Every so often I'd look over and see a kids dad pointing me out to his buddy or kid. I assume they were talking about the time they had one, or had ridden on, etc. In line for moto 1, there was somebody on a YZ125 next to me. I noticed he was looking my bike over and staring at the motor. Finally he asked "Is that a 500?" "Yea." "Oh dude! That's bad a$$! You gotta have some balls to ride, let alone race one of them!" I chuckled, told him about my leg situation, and pulled into the gate. We ended up taking off together, with me riding a wheelie all the was to the first turn right beside him.  :D  A few track hands and dads talked to me about the bike during down time. They were all very impressed that I was riding that ol' bike against the new ones.

I have a few pictures/videos that I'll upload in the future.

Back from the track. Pulled in yesterday afternoon, a bit later than anticipated due to a massive crash on the highway. (4 ambulances, helicopter, etc.) I'm the midst of unloading Pushc came up and introduced himself. We chatted for a bit while I was unloading and he went back to where he was set up. (Sorry I didn't come chat afterwards or today, had to stick around with the Grandpa and I was having some bike troubles.) Didn't see J_WR or Dan at the track. Not sure if there weren't able to make it or I just didn't see them.

The practice sessions went well; took it easy since I'm still coming back from a broken leg. Had a low-side but it was no big deal. Track was pretty rough, but could've been worse. It was pretty fun blitzing them, I'll admit. The bike had some issues running in the mid-top range, so I wasn't really able to get the speed needed to launch some of the doubles/tripples.

The track on race day was MUCH smoother, but was quite wallowy. Bike was running worse, ended up screwing with the needle and the timing, but it didn't help at all. I'll be digging into the bike later this week to find out what the deal is. The first moto I ended up pulling a DNF due to the bike problems. Yea, I could've finished the race, but I didn't feel like having the bike die on me on the far side of the track and needing to be pushed all the way back. Moto 2 went a bit better; bike ran a little better, took on some doubles that I wasn't before, and I completed the race.

Tell ya what, you get some interesting looks riding a bike from 86' among all the new bikes. Every so often I'd look over and see a kids dad pointing me out to his buddy or kid. I assume they were talking about the time they had one, or had ridden on, etc. In line for moto 1, there was somebody on a YZ125 next to me. I noticed he was looking my bike over and staring at the motor. Finally he asked "Is that a 500?" "Yea." "Oh dude! That's bad a$$! You gotta have some balls to ride, let alone race one of them!" I chuckled, told him about my leg situation, and pulled into the gate. We ended up taking off together, with me riding a wheelie all the was to the first turn right beside him. :D A few track hands and dads talked to me about the bike during down time. They were all very impressed that I was riding that ol' bike against the new ones.

I have a few pictures/videos that I'll upload in the future.

Ya man that's fine. I was working on my buddy's 125 all weekend anyway (never raced it all weekend :mellow:) those dam quad riders totally one tracked the whole track. :angry::blink:-_- today was pretty blah lol all in all it was a pretty good weekend.