Why did my surgeon use stainless steel instead of titanium for internal fixation of my collar bone?

So I'm 2 weeks post clavicle surgery. When I met with my surgeon after the surgery he told me he used a stainless steel plate with 9 screws. This is the official Washington Red Skins orthopedics center I went to. I was doing research on stainless vs titanium and it seems like titanium would have been MUCH better hands down. My surgeon seems trustworthy but my research leads me to believe that he knowingly used something that was inferior. I'm going to confront him about this and see why he did this. I am a skinny guy and it seems like steel is more rigid so perhaps he wanted to prevent too much movement? I told him I live an active lifestyle so I just can't imagine why he wouldn't use something that has a little more malleability and tensile strength.

Not sure as to why he used stainless.. Im * weeks post op and my doc used a long titanium plate with 8 screws.. Ive heard that both are sufficient in doing the job they were put in there to do.. Im skinny as well and you can clearly see my plate through my skin.. Ive been doing P/T for a couple weeks now and feel so much better and my range of motion is at 95%.. Once you start P/T you will feel alot better and not trip on the plate so much. I dont really notice it in there unless im looking at it..

Not sure as to why he used stainless.. Im * weeks post op and my doc used a long titanium plate with 8 screws.. Ive heard that both are sufficient in doing the job they were put in there to do.. Im skinny as well and you can clearly see my plate through my skin.. Ive been doing P/T for a couple weeks now and feel so much better and my range of motion is at 95%.. Once you start P/T you will feel alot better and not trip on the plate so much. I dont really notice it in there unless im looking at it..

I honestly don't even know if I need P/T. The most I feel is just a little tightness around where the plate is against my skin. I was trying 5lb curls and it honestly feels fine. About 95% ROM as well but I haven't really tried to "push it" since I'm waiting for the green light from the doc. Upon further research I'm assuming he wanted to use the smallest plate possible without compromising too much strength. Even though titanium is stronger weight for weight, I think the plate would have to be thicker/bigger to achieve the same strength with titanium. I plan on getting this plate removed. Do you feel a weird itching sensation around where the plate is? I only get the itch when I'm wearing a shirt or something that's touching the plate. It's not intense itching but it is annoying.

The only thing to has over stainless is weight, and not significantly

I'm sure you'll never notice the difference in the 1 oz plate

I gave up on titanium about four years ago.  It bends too easily and the screws cold weld into the plate, so plate removal is a real bear.

Since I have returned to stainless steel, it has been a far less bumpy road.

Edited by DrMark

I gave up on titanium about four years ago.  It bends too easily and the screws cold weld into the plate, so plate removal is a real bear.

Since I have returned to stainless steel, it has been a far less bumpy road.

Just the man I was hoping would show up. This puts me at ease. Being my first surgery, I was just really worried. I do plan to remove it down the road.

I have a stainless steel plate and 10 screws on my left collar bone right now. It was put in 6 months ago and is probably coming out in another 6.

When I asked my doc about the implant he called it a "high grade SS implant" and he refuses to use Titanium for similar reasons Dr. Mark mentioned above.

The plate bothered me a lot for the first 3-4 months and still does a bit at 6 months but is noticeably better. I still want to have it removed when I can. Being 26 years old I have many years ahead of me and would prefer to be metal free.

EDIT: Also, Lance Armstrong's plate and 12 screws is stainless steel... we're in good hands bud!

Edited by bradhere