Sign in to follow this  

2011 Handlebar Clamp Recall

235 hrs on my '11 250 SX with the "new improved" (notice the dot) handlebar clamps. I got lucky. I decided to try a new handlebar position which brought the broken clamp to my attention.

How about having the other one break at high speed in whoops...or anywhere, for that matter.

BrknBrClmp_zps59e46c2d.jpg

Check your handlebar clamps every ride, even with the new version.

Not over torquing the bolts are you? Using a torque wrench or going till the elbow clicks?

Lucky you noticed it, could have had a heck of a bad day if other side had let go too.

235 hrs on my '11 250 SX with the "new improved" (notice the dot) handlebar clamps. I got lucky. I decided to try a new handlebar position which brought the broken clamp to my attention.

How about having the other one break at high speed in whoops...or anywhere, for that matter.

BrknBrClmp_zps59e46c2d.jpg

Check your handlebar clamps every ride, even with the new version.

youre suppose to hold on with your legs anyway! :lol: Post a pic of the broken one....

The bar clamps only take 173 in.lbs. (14 ft.lbs) of torque. I ran the (bad) clamps for over a year and never had any trouble at all. I got the new ones just because the shop gave them to me to put on.when I bought a new air filter and cage. I doubt I would have ever had an issue with the old ones at all. 

TorqueSpecs.png

Update: my 2010 XC was not listed by VIN as part of this recall, so my local dealer could not give me the updated clamps for free under the recall. Since mine were broken I had no choice but to replace them so I bought new, updated clamps @ $16 each. Not a big dollar amount but I wasn't thrilled with that answer. I called KTM USA customer service, told then what happened, they took my number and told me they'd call me back. Half hour later they called and told me they would get me store credit for the $32 plus tax. I thought that was fair and good customer service from KTM USA.

Update: my 2010 XC was not listed by VIN as part of this recall, so my local dealer could not give me the updated clamps for free under the recall. Since mine were broken I had no choice but to replace them so I bought new, updated clamps @ $16 each. Not a big dollar amount but I wasn't thrilled with that answer. I called KTM USA customer service, told then what happened, they took my number and told me they'd call me back. Half hour later they called and told me they would get me store credit for the $32 plus tax. I thought that was fair and good customer service from KTM USA.

Whatever you do........DON'T tell Krannie about this :lol:

Joe

• Like 1