2011 KTM Handlebar Clamp Recall

California

I posted this in the KTM sections but enough folks ride KTM's on the CA forum to make this important.  It could save you from a world of hurt.

235 hrs on my '11 250 SX with the "new improved" (notice the dot) handlebar clamps. I got lucky. I decided to try a new handlebar position which brought the broken clamp to my attention.

How about having the other one break at high speed in whoops...or anywhere, for that matter.

BrknBrClmp_zps59e46c2d.jpg

Check your handlebar clamps every ride, even with the new version.

I posted this in the KTM sections but enough folks ride KTM's on the CA forum to make this important.  It could save you from a world of hurt.

235 hrs on my '11 250 SX with the "new improved" (notice the dot) handlebar clamps. I got lucky. I decided to try a new handlebar position which brought the broken clamp to my attention.

How about having the other one break at high speed in whoops...or anywhere, for that matter.

BrknBrClmp_zps59e46c2d.jpg

Check your handlebar clamps every ride, even with the new version.

Holy shit man!! Lucky you are ok. Good catch. I would post this in Krannies KTM thread.  

Here is one of many examples of some of the crap they produce. So now instead of motor, gas cap, or starter issues, KTM is getting away with building sub-par chassis parts to save a few ounces.

I've ridden my KTM, 2011 model for three years now and only had starter issues.. but that's a maintenance item that I neglected.  The bar clamps were replaced on recall, and haven't had issues with the new ones. 

All bike companies have some issues, KTM perhaps has more than others in some respects but every make of dirt bike has issues.  Almost always from maintenance neglect. 

For example there's a thread that shreds KTM because a frame broke at the triple tree.. KTM's fault??  The guy didn't check the steering head for play, it got loose and the bearing grease dried up.  So of course when you land hard from a triple, the stress over time will break the triple tree.  It's gonna happen.

It's gonna happen.

Yeah only to ktms tho

Neither of my KTMs have ever left me hanging or missing out on a ride . . . 500 hours give or take.  My body on the other hand . . . :banghead:

I was just installing fork bleeders on my 2010 300 XC and noticed on of mine is cracked! Holy shit. Mine does not have a dot. Guess I have some research to do.

See, junk

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1379185667.825685.jpg

Over torqued TORX ??

Or KTM buttermetal ?

KTM follows their bikes like a good car company... issuing recalls when they feel something needs to be updated or repaired. They track it... any dealer can tell you any recall your bike has... and it's history... if recalls have ever been done or not... whether you bought the bike new or used does not matter. Call KTM direct or any dealer service dept with your vin to check your bikes recall status.

Because KTM admits and fixes their problems people jump on them. Try getting Honda or Yamaha to even admit they have a problem... good luck. Their strategy is to recycle 10 and 20 year old bike tech with slight plastic changes and NEVER EVER admit when their products fail. Honda in particular has a huge list of new model problems... Motors, valves, suspension, clutches... I have yet to see a recall... or admission of their failures.

To each his own... but when Honda or Yamaha starts introducing NEW technology and as many models to please or even a SINGLE good dual sport and can keep the bikes running without design flaws anywhere NEAR KTM then you can all start KTM bashing in earnest. But Honda, Yamaha, Kaw & Suzuki don't develop as much new technology combined in a 5 year period as KTM does on it's own year after year.

I know It gets boring seeing all orange on a ride... and it bothers those that think of the bikes as expensive cause they think the bikes aren't in their range. I disagree. i've never spent more than $5000 on low mile KTMs in mnt condition.

Some of the younger guys seem to dislike the bikes cause they're so popular with the older crowd. That never helps make a product COOL. Especially when Elvis shows up to a ride with a pot belly and $1000 worth orange riding gear on his portly body. I get it.

No I'd say KTMs biggest problem is cool factor for the youngins. The rest is crap. But as long as the old fvcks keep buying them... and the young guns keep turning into old fvcks KTM is here to stay. :thumbsup:

Edited by Jeff aka BOLT

Ktms are the best bikes

Luckily there are a lot of great choices to choose from . . . well unless you want a capable bike with a plate from the dealer or a 2 stroke. 

See, junk

Wut do you ride??

Over torqued TORX ??

Or KTM buttermetal ?

Mine were definitely not over-torqued

Wut do you ride??

I don't, I just watch it on tv

I don't have any stock parts left on my ktm

KTM follows their bikes like a good car company... issuing recalls when they feel something needs to be updated or repaired. They track it... any dealer can tell you any recall your bike has... and it's history... if recalls have ever been done or not... whether you bought the bike new or used does not matter. Call KTM direct or any dealer service dept with your vin to check your bikes recall status.

Because KTM admits and fixes their problems people jump on them. Try getting Honda or Yamaha to even admit they have a problem... good luck. Their strategy is to recycle 10 and 20 year old bike tech with slight plastic changes and NEVER EVER admit when their products fail. Honda in particular has a huge list of new model problems... Motors, valves, suspension, clutches... I have yet to see a recall... or admission of their failures.

To each his own... but when Honda or Yamaha starts introducing NEW technology and as many models to please or even a SINGLE good dual sport and can keep the bikes running without design flaws anywhere NEAR KTM then you can all start KTM bashing in earnest. But Honda, Yamaha, Kaw & Suzuki don't develop as much new technology combined in a 5 year period as KTM does on it's own year after year.

I know It gets boring seeing all orange on a ride... and it bothers those that think of the bikes as expensive cause they think the bikes aren't in their range. I disagree. i've never spent more than $5000 on low mile KTMs in mnt condition.

Some of the younger guys seem to dislike the bikes cause they're so popular with the older crowd. That never helps make a product COOL. Especially when Elvis shows up to a ride with a pot belly and $1000 worth orange riding gear on his portly body. I get it.

No I'd say KTMs biggest problem is cool factor for the youngins. The rest is crap. But as long as the old fvcks keep buying them... and the young guns keep turning into old fvcks KTM is here to stay. :thumbsup:

After today, You could give me a 4t KTM for free and I would toss it in the dumpster. 

After today, You could give me a 4t KTM for free and I would toss it in the dumpster.

Who's bike broke:)

I don't have any stock parts left on my ktm

So KTM's are junk?

So KTM's are junk?

They might be junk for you young studs, but for us older studs they are the cats meow. When I get even older I might get a beta 300. But that's if my ss check comes in like Obama promised