Sign in to follow this  

Couple questions from a new rider.

Maybe a stupid question, but any suggestions on pants, jerseys, and gloves?

Also, I am looking to get new hardware for my bike, mainly the bolts/washers for mounting my plastics. Anyone know where I can find a hardware kit or something along those lines?

Thanks

Any online mx store like Rocky Mountain mc ect ect for hardware kits...first go to mx store find you're size try them on....don't buy then go online prob same place you get bolts or eBay buy it for half price..I have expensive taste but its preference alias is getting popular and reasonably priced...other than that don't spend over 150$ on pants n jerseys...use that for quality helmets and boots that's where the money goes...also get a neck brace!

http://www.motocrossgiant.com/?gclid=CNq6qaXfw7kCFa9_QgodKBAAtw

ive worn FLY MSR and FOX gear mostly the fly is pretty comfortable but havent had it long to tell durability. The msr i used to a long time and it held up good and was decently cool . Just make sure you get vented gear for summer rides. 

Can get most of your fasteners out of a bolt kit from rockymountain a TUSK one is pretty cheap and youll have extras for the track emergencies

Thanks for the quick replies. I am definitely going to go size everything locally and order online - the price difference is crazy.

Just so everyone knows, I have been doing research and so far have picked up a fox v2 helmet on clearance for $110, 100% Accuri Goggles, Fox Proframe LC roost protector, and Gaerne SG-10's. I am now just down to needing pants/jersey/gloves. I am in Southern California so I will be riding mostly in the Winter time - it's too hot in the summer.

Does anyone know if I would be able to take the hardware down to say Ace Hardware and have them match it or would they be a special size for motorcycles?

Edited by Drewmeister

I lost a couple being retarded. Tore my bike down and set the screws in a crease in my driveway. The water washed them into the gravel and I can't find them. DOH!

And I have OCD so if I am going to replace a few I would rather do them all and have new / matching hardware.

Yes a hardware store can set you up might be more speedy might not you're bolts are metric fine thread I'm assuming but just for sure bring them with you...a bolt kit is what I would buy...eBay..we've all half assed a bolt or two at one point ..nice gear btw good choices

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0041CC592

Just put new plastics on my bike and bought this kit. Has everything you need for mounting all the plastics and shows you where each bolt goes (beats rummaging through a 200+ piece kit IMO). I bought mine from eBay for $16 shipped. The bolts in each kit are supposed to match the specific "style" of the bolts that came stock on the bike you purchased it for.

Does anyone know if I would be able to take the hardware down to say Ace Hardware and have them match it or would they be a special size for motorcycles?

You can buy hardware at your local store that will work but it won't have the collars on them like the stock ones do.  If you buy the kit try to get one that has the collars.  This makes it so the bolt will get tight metal on metal instead of just squishing the plastic between a washer and the mounting point.

Buy closeout pants and jersey. You can pick up top of the line stuff for the price of current entry level stuff or less. Rocky Mountain usually has the best deals. 

Most gear pretty close durability wise...but I will say my Moose Sahara gear has been the worst. Absolute junk first pair of pants a button ripped off first ride. Second set of pants the crotch ripped at the seams 2nd ride. If I paid full price I would be pissed.

For gloves...I have had the best luck with Fox 360 flights

Edited by 4STK4LIFE

I lost a couple being retarded. Tore my bike down and set the screws in a crease in my driveway. The water washed them into the gravel and I can't find them. DOH!

And I have OCD so if I am going to replace a few I would rather do them all and have new / matching hardware.

I put the bolt back into the hole it came from, ancient Chinese secret to me not loosing a thing.. Welcome to the moto crowd!

I've been eyeballing the klim Dakar itb pants. I rode with a guy who had them. While I kept digging in my boot for the map he just pulled it out of his pockets.

If you're going to ride trails look at those. They've got vents also.

Aren't cheap though.