Sign in to follow this  

Gen. 1,2,3.....

Can someone please tell me what years the gen 1, 2, 3, 4 CRF's and CR's are???  I'm reading about doing the CR500 AF conversion and this is a must to know when reading about it.  Thanks

So what gen are the 03-04 CRF's?  Also since I don't plan on racing (pit/trail bike) would I be fine with the old 500 frame???

They are pretty much gen 3.5.

The easiest to convert is gen 3 250's.

go to cr500riders.com. All the info is laid out for you to read till your hearts content.

97-99 is first gen, 00-01 is second gen, 02-07 is 3rd gen.  fourstrokes changed to 4th gen frame in 04 i believe 

Bought an 05 CRF450r in Nov. of that year & it was advertised as the first year of the 4th gen frame.   The mx mags also published the same information about it.   

I'd stay away from the first 1 & 2 Gen. CR250's as Honda still hadn't gotten the chassis right.  As Kirkes mentioned the 3rd gen. 02-07 CR250r would be the best option.

The 97-99 had a stiffer frame, but the real problem with them being stiff are the forks, the shock isn't to bad. I have a 97 and I got the forks revalved with racetech gold valves and it handles just fine for me (But then again I'm 200lbs and 6'1"). Yeah it is a little stiff but it isn't as bad as people say it is. Its the bike people love to hate :p  From what I know the 00 and 01 Cr250s where the best all around. 02-07 had great handling but the motor lacked. I've heard that the best motors where the 97 and the 01. If you can find a good deal on any of them tho, jump on it :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Ezra lusk and Kevin Windham preferred the earlier frames because of there rigidity but yeah spot on the third gen they swapped in the rc valve style mellowed it out turned it into a suped up 125 ...at least that's how I have to ride mine it's garbage down low but a lil feather action and she screams def a top end bike

image.jpg

Edited by Crguy713

Can someone please tell me what years the gen 1, 2, 3, 4 CRF's and CR's are???  I'm reading about doing the CR500 AF conversion and this is a must to know when reading about it.  Thanks

Get a roached 250 f the newest you can find!