Sign in to follow this  

Transporting my SM on it's side

So I lent my truck out to a friend, told him to take his time with it as I don't really have much room for it at my house.  Long story short I want it back on short notice and he was not prepared to return it to me yet. The plan is to drive my DRZ over to the truck load it in the back and drive the truck and bike home, only problem is I put the cap / camper shell on the truck before I lent it to him.  I am not sure if laying my bike on it's side with the fuel off for about 1 or 2 will be a problem.  I am not too worried about the oil as I am over due for a change anyway.

Clif notes version:

Want to transport DRZ on it's side for 1-2 hours, any harm in that?

Been there done that. Loading it will be a pain in the rear unless you remove the cap, load the bike and then reinstall the cap.

Not sure about the oil but I would drain the tank or remove it and set it flat in the truck.  Gas will leak out of the tank vent when laying on it's side.

Not to worried about the gas, leaking it's a beater truck and I don't smoke, but thanks for the heads up, I'll try to time it to below on gas by the time I arrive.

Been there done that. Loading it will be a pain in the rear unless you remove the cap, load the bike and then reinstall the cap.

I wish, the truck has a ladder rack that goes over the cap, so I can't.  I am sure I can get her in there on it's side, plastics are already scratched up.

can't get someone  to just give you a ride over to the truck?  taxi?  walk?  ect?

Hour taxi ride is expensive, forget that.  I want to get it during the day, my wife is away for the week 

Are you suggesting that it's bad to lay it down.

You can always get one of those mx haulers that attach to the rear hitch carrier,  i think harbor freight has a cheap one. 

I thought about it but I don't want to spend the $$ and it's just another piece of junk to store. 

I'm from Canada but if Harbor Freight is like our Princess Auto (as it seems to be), they'll take anything back.

100% satisfaction guarrantee means use and take it back. Haha.

So...

Buy the MX carrier, then bring it back once you've hauled your bike.

• Like 1

If it is a full size truck you may be able to get by with just removing the front wheel and transport it upright. Other than the gas spilling and scratches, it will survive the journey on it's side.

I'm from Canada but if Harbor Freight is like our Princess Auto (as it seems to be), they'll take anything back.

100% satisfaction guarrantee means use and take it back. Haha.

So...

Buy the MX carrier, then bring it back once you've hauled your bike.

I like the way you think!, still gonna pass

If it is a full size truck you may be able to get by with just removing the front wheel and transport it upright. Other than the gas spilling and scratches, it will survive the journey on it's side.

That is a good idea, it's a full size.

I found the trailer hitch trays wobble too much in the reciever and are hard to strap down the bike confidently.

Edited by rideitfixitrideit

years ago i knew a kid who transported his cr125 to and from the track laying down on top of a caprice wagon.  I have layed down my rm250 in the back of a caravan.  Its not ideal but can be done.  The leaking gas is more for the fact that it will run down your tank and plastics.  As long as the tank isnt half fun it should be fine in its side.  You dont for some reason have a lead acid battery on your bike do you?

years ago i knew a kid who transported his cr125 to and from the track laying down on top of a caprice wagon.  I have layed down my rm250 in the back of a caravan.  Its not ideal but can be done.  The leaking gas is more for the fact that it will run down your tank and plastics.  As long as the tank isnt half fun it should be fine in its side.  You dont for some reason have a lead acid battery on your bike do you?

It's a dekka but I think it's sealed, I will be sure to check.  

I talked to a few mechanics at the local bike shop today while getting supplies to change the oil, they said it should not be a problem, especilally since I am changing the oil 

I used to haul around my RM80 in the back of my Accord station wagon all the time. Just laid down cardboard and news paper and shut the gas off. My cousin had to haul a KLR250 on its side on a trailer about 380 mi. I pulled the spark plug to be sure the cylinder wasn't full of oil before I kicked it. Wasn't anything in it, but good to check. Just be careful how you lay it down and check it out before you start it and you should be fine.

It's a dekka but I think it's sealed, I will be sure to check.  

I talked to a few mechanics at the local bike shop today while getting supplies to change the oil, they said it should not be a problem, especilally since I am changing the oil 

yeah, i doubt you have a lead acid battery but i have seen a few on drz's hacked in for whatever reason.  You dont want to spill the battery acid all over the place.

The oil shouldnt be a problem.  I lay my bikes over to work on the clutch without changing oil.  Really just gas and battery.  Lay it on its left side though.  The oil fill is on the right side of the steering neck and if that oring is old/dry you might have a mess on your hands:)

if your that worried about it buy a couple 5 gallon buckets when you get there and get some blankets or pillows from your buddy (he owes you for loaning him the truck) and dont lay it completely on its side but prop it up on the buckets and you wont have to worry about gas spilling or anything... 

if your that worried about it buy a couple 5 gallon buckets when you get there and get some blankets or pillows from your buddy (he owes you for loaning him the truck) and dont lay it completely on its side but prop it up on the buckets and you wont have to worry about gas spilling or anything... 

and tow it like that 2 hours?

I used to do it all the time. take off the tank  and put the gas in the truck.

Bring extra tie downs and compress the suspension on itself it makes it easier to load. 

and tow it like that 2 hours?

tow? no he is talking about putting it in the back of his truck right? i thought he was expressing concern of it laying completely on its side so i was suggesting a solution to have it be somewhat propped up as opposed to completely on its side... obviously there would have to be some kind of strapping involved so it doesnt shift on the buckets...