Shifter Shaft Seal Replacement

Hey everyone, I am making this post to get some $.02 on tonight's project of replacing a leaky shift shaft seal.

The Signs:

-Oil leaking all over chain and gunking up the CS sprocket area worse than just messy chain lube, and it is causing my chain to collect some nasty stuff.

-The shifter also has some side to side play that is more than what is presumably normal.

-I already have the part for the fix so I am hoping not to find some more goodies to fix

I searched and found a similar post that recommended that digging out the seal from the shifter side of the bike can be sketchy and the proper procedure is to remove the clutch cover (I have a new gasket to install so I am ready for that), clutch, clutch basket, then the shifter shaft, then the seal. I have a manual and saw the graphic for the mechanism http://www.thumpertalk.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=9646

I'll be stopping at the store to snag some c clip pliers, and have a buddy coming over with an impact for the clutch nut. Is there anything else I need to be prepared for?

Other questions:

-What size socket to remove the clutch

-Do I oil the seal when installing (motor oil fine?)

-Do I need to set the clutch plates in oil or anything or will a clean surface suffice?

-Im guessing I need to drain oil, wont it drain out the shifter hole when I remove the seal? And do I need to remove the coolant as well? I am not next to the bike right now to see if the waterpump cover is connected to the case cover

-ALSO  I saw a while back about checking a nut located by the clutch that comes loose and I want to check, and locktite that if you all could point the correct nut and specs.  (or thread reference)

I friggin' love this site because of all of the support, so I thank you in advance for everything!

Edited by thewarrior703
1378920417558.jpg1378920431995.jpg1378920440321.jpg1378920449716.jpg1378920456844.jpg1378920463971.jpg

The shifter seal leaking wouldn't really gunk up the chain because it sits a bit lower than the chain.  I would also inspect the back of the C/S sprocket for oil leaks, could be the C/S seal.  As far as the shifter seal... I did mine without removing anything (other than the shifter lever, snap ring and washer) and yes it was difficult.  It was difficult trying to pry the seal out with little clearance between the shaft and the seal bore.  Eventually working it with small picks and flat screwdrivers it came out and a new seal I tapped in place with a socket.

Shifter lever side play is somewhat normal.  Make sure the snap-ring is properly seated and that there is a washer between it and the engine case.  Mine has about 1/16” –  3/32” of play and from what I gather that’s normal.

If you plan on having the right side cover off anyway for the “loctite-fixes” (primary nut, counter-balancer nut, clutch hub nut) then you can probably knock out the seal from within the engine case.

Okay, so my updated thoughts and things to check are that my chain is rusty just because its going bad and is rusty. The oil that drips onto the cement can be coming from the cs shaft or the shift shaft. I'm pretty sure the circlip on the shifter is off so that can be easy fix if its not leaky there. I will be tearing into it after dinner and keep posting throughout the night.

I will remove the chain for a big cleaning or replacement and take a fine look at the two possibilities and go from there

Update: dug into it further and went ahead and replaced the shifter seal from the shifter side patiently and got it in fine after cleaning the snot out of it. Ran the bike a bit after to check it and all seems fine for now. I want to wait until after my dune trip for the locktite on the clutch side so I can replace my cam chain while I am at it. I'm in a "fix multiple problems" phase and noticed my edge BRAKe light wasn't lighting and rewrapped the wires and noticed it wasn't lighting. Went deeper and my unit is rusted and corroded...not happy. Going to give them a call as it is only 6 mo old. I have a week and a half though so I'm not in mega rush mode yet

Here's a pic partially cleaned

1378951904154.jpg

Just for future reference: I have removed a couple leaky oil seals over the years by screwing a self-tapping sheet metal screw into the seal and using a slide hammer to pull it out. I think a similar dent puller tool might work too. 

Just food for thought.

My buddy dug it out with a pickset but I mentioned it a few times. He's patient though so I let it be and it came out. Good to know though!

EDIT:**fixed the issue below. The snap ring was stretched and fell off the shaft letting the shaft slide in. I pulled it out, and replaced the ring.

I'm in a pickle right now. I just mounted my paddle tire, front dirt rim, and cleaned my air filer and chain. I go to reinstall my shifter after the seal replacement and now the shifter has some very weird up and down slop. What did I do wrong during the installation and how do I fix it? Its like the shifter has ED and doesnt shift hard, and just falls down after up shifting. Sad face :(

Edited by thewarrior703

EDIT:**fixed the issue below. The snap ring was stretched and fell off the shaft letting the shaft slide in. I pulled it out, and replaced the ring.

I'm in a pickle right now. I just mounted my paddle tire, front dirt rim, and cleaned my air filer and chain. I go to reinstall my shifter after the seal replacement and now the shifter has some very weird up and down slop. What did I do wrong during the installation and how do I fix it? Its like the shifter has ED and doesnt shift hard, and just falls down after up shifting. Sad face :(

Is it slop in the shaft to case or lever to shaft? I had some play in mine from lever to shaft and actually just fixed it today with a little loctite.