Anybody using a tool tube?

So I ordered a tool tube when my bike was new, and mounted it behind the license plate at right angles to the seat line (if that makes sense). I thought it was a brilliant innovative place for the tube, without having to remove the little storage door or helmet lock.  Well, Brilliant and innovate?  Not so much. Busted it all to hell the first time I caught a little air on a whoop.

So I've been carrying my tools and goodies in a duffel on my rear rack.  

But I really want to find a way to put a tool tube on the pig without removing the access door or helmet lock.  I've got a rear rack and a rotopax on there, and I want to get away from carrying the tools on the rack, so I can use that space for a lunch box or whatever when I got out for long rides.

Does anybody else use a tool tube? 

Where/How do you carry your tools...

Pics appreciated if you have something innovative!

• Like 2

So I ordered a tool tube when my bike was new, and mounted it behind the license plate at right angles to the seat line (if that makes sense). I thought it was a brilliant innovative place for the tube, without having to remove the little storage door or helmet lock.  Well, Brilliant and innovate?  Not so much. Busted it all to hell the first time I caught a little air on a whoop.

So I've been carrying my tools and goodies in a duffel on my rear rack.  

But I really want to find a way to put a tool tube on the pig without removing the access door or helmet lock.  I've got a rear rack and a rotopax on there, and I want to get away from carrying the tools on the rack, so I can use that space for a lunch box or whatever when I got out for long rides.

Does anybody else use a tool tube? 

Where/How do you carry your tools...

Pics appreciated if you have something innovative!

Wolfman makes a fender bag that straps to your front fender.  That might work for you.  Not really all that innovative, but I'm not sure where else you can stash stuff on a trail bike.

enduro_fender.jpg

• Like 1

Wolfman makes a fender bag that straps to your front fender.  That might work for you.  Not really all that innovative, but I'm not sure where else you can stash stuff on a trail bike.

enduro_fender.jpg

I could see this as having problems , added weight on the fender, jumps or whatever, but who knows! Plus front end weight!

I could see this as having problems , added weight on the fender, jumps or whatever, but who knows! Plus front end weight!

I don't approve this post. It's not 250l only enough!!

JJ Please don't go off on me.

• Like 2

i seen either on here or over at the other site that the tool tube was just breaking off on some bumps...  so he mounted it with fender washers right through the tube..  i think... i know he mounted it differently though...  oh,  fender washer are the big washers... 1" and up,  and have as little as a 6/32t and up, size hole...  just watch the fender bag size... the light is low in the shroud and very close to the fender...  

• Like 1

Cycles South is a great movie !!! ...  :thumbsup:

this guy has a tube mounted on his forks for his fishing pole ...  :ride:

• Like 1

I just got my 2014 250L today, I am the OP's brother. :thumbsup:

Joe, give me a few days to look things over and I might come up with a nice solution. I want my tools to go into a tube as well.

Andy

• Like 6

I just got my 2014 250L today, I am the OP's brother. :thumbsup:

Joe, give me a few days to look things over and I might come up with a nice solution. I want my tools to go into a tube as well.

Andy

Welcome Andy and please share all your mods with us !!! 

• Like 1

This is so cool!!

He (Andy) actually bought me a set of roll up tools for the tool tube I was attempting to mount on the bike back in May. Now he went and got a LRP also!!!!

• Like 1

Ya. Thank you. I have seen that mod and post. I didnt want to have to remove my helmet lock and access door, like the guy did there. But thanks anyway.

i am in the process of building a tool tube ..  went and got some pieces at home depot ..  cut, glued . .  now im gonna exhust hose clamp it to my rack . . when i get my fuel tank so i can remove the rotopak baracket and tank . . blah blah .   .  i removed the little . . very very little . . storage box thingy . . and the helmet lock . . . . i think ordering a tool tube is the way to go .. i have quite a bit of cash in this already  and it would have been easier to just order the tube . .  but i think hose clamping it to the rack might work . .  but . .  i was lookin at things . . i just installed the fmf exhaust and header . . and i was looking . . and my buddy said . . sheesh . . you sholuld get a end cap for the exhaust  and put in on your tool tube . . make it look like dual exhaust from the back . .  hmm ..   then i was looking some more . .  and with out the storage box it looks like an empty  faux exhaust can with a removable end cap would make an awsome tool tube . . and look really trick . .    it should bolt right on to the helmet lock bracket  and the holes for the storage box ..  and the helmet lock can be mounted to the new tool tube aparatus . .  i wonder how much fmf would charge to make something like this . . anyone work there ??

i am in the process of building a tool tube ..  went and got some pieces at home depot ..  cut, glued . .  now im gonna exhust hose clamp it to my rack . . when i get my fuel tank so i can remove the rotopak baracket and tank . . blah blah .   .  i removed the little . . very very little . . storage box thingy . . and the helmet lock . . . . i think ordering a tool tube is the way to go .. i have quite a bit of cash in this already  and it would have been easier to just order the tube . .  but i think hose clamping it to the rack might work . .  but . .  i was lookin at things . . i just installed the fmf exhaust and header . . and i was looking . . and my buddy said . . sheesh . . you sholuld get a end cap for the exhaust  and put in on your tool tube . . make it look like dual exhaust from the back . .  hmm ..   then i was looking some more . .  and with out the storage box it looks like an empty  faux exhaust can with a removable end cap would make an awsome tool tube . . and look really trick . .    it should bolt right on to the helmet lock bracket  and the holes for the storage box ..  and the helmet lock can be mounted to the new tool tube aparatus . .  i wonder how much fmf would charge to make something like this . . anyone work there ??

Send an email ... maybe they have some damaged or mis built product they can sell to you .... never know dude ...  :thinking:

I can not find any pictures of this but I have seen this done before  .... 

Buy plumbing drain tubes the size you need and you can also buy the screw on caps for both ends. 

Mount said tube to your front forks ... when you need stuff out you can take off the bottom cap and it all falls out ... when you need to put back in. .. load from the top. 

just to help you understand what I am trying to convey ..... 

case-cap.jpg