Sign in to follow this  

STUCK oil filter cover screws

So i bought my first BIG xr. its a 93 600 thats been (sloppily) converted to dual sport.  the bike needs alot of TLC to return to its respectable former glory.  so i drained the oil, cleaned the screen (very disturbing findings) below the main drain plug and went to remove the oil filter cover to install a new filter and found 1 screw to be busted off.  the threaded part of the screw is busted off and threads remain (top left screw).  top right screw came out with ALOT of elbow grease.  bottom screw was %50 stripped and i cut the top of the screw to come out with a flat head screw driver.  so i get LOTS of good grip with the screw driver BUT... the screw seems to be baked in there!!! it will NOT come out.  Its safe to assume that the top left screw busted off in there because it was also baked in there right?  the oil filter cover seems to be baked on there too, because with 1 screw only holding cover in place, it still will not move right or left even a fraction of a mm. suggestions please! drill out the screws? buy a whole new right side clutch/crank case cover????  buy a torch and heat up the screw?  how long do i hold the heat on there? 

displaced (washington native in socal)

1993 xr600, rmz250

Heat around that area is likely to melt the gasket on the oil cover housing if it actually has one there..I wouldn't worry about it though just get another when you have it off..Cut the head off the bolt on the remaining bolt you have and tap the cover,,it should then fall/spring off..Use vice grips/heat/plumbers pipe wrench to get the bolt you cut the head off out..With any luck the other bolt that's snapped may have a bit still poking out of the casing,,again heat/ pipe wrench..vice grips.. 

Edited by Horri

Soak it with penetrating oil 2-3 times over a couple of days, then try again. My riding buddy had similar issues last year with a rehab case he bought. It worked well, I was very skeptical...but now I am a believer in his process.

Whilst soaking in penetrating oil a sharp tap on the heads may also ease the problem.... but be sensible and don't be too heavy handed.....or use a sledge hammer....

Edited by reduceus

I removed the same bolts with a snapped off head using a left hand drill bit. Worked like a charm. Using carefully applied heat and penetrating oil along with a left hand drill bit should make the job even easier.

alright guys... thnks to all of you who replied.  Im SUPER stoked to have a place to go to get solid advice! so i have been busy all week and i will get on this little project this weekend and HOPEFULLY have another round of THANKS!  one question for paul: what is a left hand drill bit??? 

alright guys... thnks to all of you who replied.  Im SUPER stoked to have a place to go to get solid advice! so i have been busy all week and i will get on this little project this weekend and HOPEFULLY have another round of THANKS!  one question for paul: what is a left hand drill bit??? 

Its a bit that is cut in the opposite direction from that of a standard bit. Use the drill in "reverse".

I agree with Kroil for an oil; it's great. A great tool for getting the screws off is a hand impact like this:

http://www.sears.com/proto-hand-impact-drivers-7099/p-SPM223922316?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4

Been using a similar one to take apart then engine on my 71CL350. Soaked the screws in oil...tried a screwdriver, drill....etc. Hand impact was an instant success. Just make sure to push firmly on it so that it does not jump and do more damage to the screw heads. You can also try "shocking" the treads by tapping a regular screwdriver with a hammer on the butt end. This often works. 

Good luck! 

I use a snap on set, comes with cobalt left handed drill bits and various removal tools, at $300 it's a bit pricey but one of those tools that's very handy when you need it!ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1379090357.450033.jpg

Use a impact screw driver.  Use a 3/8th to 1/4" adapter & your 8mm socket.  Make sure its set to loosen  " lefty loosy"  & tap solidly with a hammer.  They will break free without damage.  Do not over tighten after oil change