Sign in to follow this  

Any mech. engineers here who have worked for kawasaki,yamaha,honda etc?

I have just started college doing a Level 7 (ordinary bachelor's degree) in Mechanical engineering degree. It got me thinking is there any mechanical engineers here who have gone on to work for any of the big moto companies?

what is/was it like ? what part did you design or have an influence on ?

I worked as a consultant to the car companies in the 90s

I did a little bit of work for Honda motorcycles, again as a consultant so my observations are indirect

Problem the Americans there have is that they can't wipe their butts without first getting written permission from at least 3 engineers in Japan

I had friends who worked for Nissan who said Japan controlled everything and treated them like children

That was 90s but I doubt it has changed

If you want to work on motorcycles best bet would probably be Polaris ( I have a low opinion of Harley engineering or complete lack thereof)

Good luck

• Like 2

I worked as a consultant to the car companies in the 90s

I did a little bit of work for Honda motorcycles, again as a consultant so my observations are indirect

Problem the Americans there have is that they can't wipe their butts without first getting written permission from at least 3 engineers in Japan

I had friends who worked for Nissan who said Japan controlled everything and treated them like children

That was 90s but I doubt it has changed

If you want to work on motorcycles best bet would probably be Polaris ( I have a low opinion of Harley engineering or complete lack thereof)

Good luck

Thanks for the info. If you dont mind explaining how Japan controlled everything? do they set all the regulations when it comes to what you can do?

Working in designing motorcycles is definitely what i want to do most although my location doesn't help for that goal. So this is mostly curiosity about the field of work thats making me ask.

Thanks for the info. If you dont mind explaining how Japan controlled everything? do they set all the regulations when it comes to what you can do?

Working in designing motorcycles is definitely what i want to do most although my location doesn't help for that goal. So this is mostly curiosity about the field of work thats making me ask.

I have never designed anything for anyone, but what he is saying is the engineers from japan will not let the engineers in america do anything with out them giving the ok. All the major bike companies are home based in japan, all the engineering and testing goes on over there, the engineers they have, have been doing it for years and honda of japan pays them to design things, they arent going to trust someone from honda america to design something that they dont test.  And i would assume that since honda of japan designs the bikes they engineer everything to work along side of other things so someone that has no idea what is all going on cant design a part for that bike without knowing everything about it. which is why the japan engineers dont let others design things....Im just using Honda as a example ....i have no idea if honda works like this but i would assume they would. 

I have never designed anything for anyone, but what he is saying is the engineers from japan will not let the engineers in america do anything with out them giving the ok. All the major bike companies are home based in japan, all the engineering and testing goes on over there, the engineers they have, have been doing it for years and honda of japan pays them to design things, they arent going to trust someone from honda america to design something that they dont test.  And i would assume that since honda of japan designs the bikes they engineer everything to work along side of other things so someone that has no idea what is all going on cant design a part for that bike without knowing everything about it. which is why the japan engineers dont let others design things....Im just using Honda as a example ....i have no idea if honda works like this but i would assume they would. 

oh ok yeah it makes sense though that they would do this, thanks for the clarification. :) 

I was an Engineer for GM, never designed cars though.  I built the assembly systems.  Worst career decision I ever made, mostly because of UAW trash.  Let the sparks fly.

Japan controls everything because they are the superior race (just ask them).

Edited by highmarker

Wait till you work with German Engineers,not even close, you must never ever ever question the design by a German!!!!!!

• Like 3

A buddy from school did an 8 month co-op with polaris in the sled division....actually patented a thing or two when he was there as well..

We work with some aftermarket companies for the SAE clean snowmobile stuff we do.

Edited by dmm698

I talked to honda after I graduated. They informed me that 100% of the design of bikes happens in japan. They did however say that they needed engineers for the quadtard division. No thanks.

First of all let me say I wish you luck with your degree and future job placement.  I got a BSME in 07 so I know that it is a hard curriculum but it will pay off for you in the end.

When I was nearing completion of my degree I tried to apply to all the Honda Kawasaki Suzuki and Yamaha job postings on their websites.  I did this with other local engineering companies too.  I didn't get a response back from any of them on my applications.  That's one of the things I really dislike about the whole online job application thing.  There is no guaranteeing they will even see your resume from your online application.  It may just go into the "black hole".

I ended up getting a job at a local firearms manufacturer.  The only reason I was able to secure the interview was because one of my professors had a contact there.  I work with CNC machine tools and this is another market that is dominated by mostly Japanese machines.  As it was stated above, the US based engineers do not have control directly over the design work, that is all Japan.  US based engineers can weigh in on design changes for enhancements, customer satisfaction, etc but they do not have direct control.

I would say do your diligence and apply to any of the motorcycle manufacturers jobs that you see (probably would require relocating, not sure if there are any facilities in your country).  If you or a professor has a contact within the company it is your best bet to actually getting called in for an interview.  Even if you can't be a designer, working for one of the big motorcycle manufacturers probably comes with some pretty sweet perks.  Testing new product, free schwag, etc.

Good luck!!

When I was nearing completion of my degree I tried to apply to all the Honda Kawasaki Suzuki and Yamaha job postings on their websites.  I did this with other local engineering companies too.  I didn't get a response back from any of them on my applications.  That's one of the things I really dislike about the whole online job application thing.  There is no guaranteeing they will even see your resume from your online application.  It may just go into the "black hole".

One thing I learned from having some Human Resource experience and this is more advice to those who will be looking for jobs in the future.  ALWAYS follow up with an application.  More people than you realize apply to the same positions, but just submitting the application isn't enough.  If you contact the company/location regarding your application, you will then be a name for them to look for in all of the applications.  It is the only true way to avoid going into the "black hole".  From there, your education and experience will be the deciding factor to go to the next step.  

• Like 1

One thing I learned from having some Human Resource experience and this is more advice to those who will be looking for jobs in the future.  ALWAYS follow up with an application.  More people than you realize apply to the same positions, but just submitting the application isn't enough.  If you contact the company/location regarding your application, you will then be a name for them to look for in all of the applications.  It is the only true way to avoid going into the "black hole".  From there, your education and experience will be the deciding factor to go to the next step.  

Thanks for the advise!

I was an Engineer for GM, never designed cars though.  I built the assembly systems.  Worst career decision I ever made, mostly because of UAW trash.  Let the sparks fly.

UAW trash?

United Auto Workers Union, Yep, trash.

Edited by GammaFunction
  • Like 1

First of all let me say I wish you luck with your degree and future job placement.  I got a BSME in 07 so I know that it is a hard curriculum but it will pay off for you in the end.

I ended up getting a job at a local firearms manufacturer.  The only reason I was able to secure the interview was because one of my professors had a contact there.  I work with CNC machine tools and this is another market that is dominated by mostly Japanese machines.  As it was stated above, the US based engineers do not have control directly over the design work, that is all Japan.  US based engineers can weigh in on design changes for enhancements, customer satisfaction, etc but they do not have direct control.

I would say do your diligence and apply to any of the motorcycle manufacturers jobs that you see (probably would require relocating, not sure if there are any facilities in your country).  If you or a professor has a contact within the company it is your best bet to actually getting called in for an interview.  Even if you can't be a designer, working for one of the big motorcycle manufacturers probably comes with some pretty sweet perks.  Testing new product, free schwag, etc.

Good luck!!

Thanks for all the info! Yeah on the first day of college they mentioned about having contacts and keeping contact with your fellow graduates in the future to help eachother in finding jobs. The CNC machines are really cool . we got to design a small simple piece for a robot arm on solidworks and see it being made! 

Yes i would most likely have to relocate if i was to get a job in the motorcycle industry as i live in ireland and most manufacturing companies here are based on farming and a bit of construction.In the motorcycle industry I am guessing they would be looking for someone with some experience and who didn't just graduate. What was your experience like working in firearms? if you don't mind me asking where you given a contract? iv'e talked to 2 students who graduated in 2011 and they have just been taken on to help on certain prjoects and then let go afterwards, they just been hopping from company to company so its not like they haven't been getting work.

If you dont mind explaining how Japan controlled everything? 

Highmarker hit the nail on the head.

Read "Rising Sun" by Michael Crichton. It's in the fiction genre, and it took a lot of flak by the PC police in the 90's, but from the little bit of background reading I did, it was pretty accurate.  

What was your experience like working in firearms? if you don't mind me asking where you given a contract?

A professor got me set up with an internship there during senior year, I guess they thought I did a good job and offered me a full time position a month before graduation. I don't think there was any length of time that I signed for but I had to sign papers saying I was going to be starting at a certain salary on a certain date. Been there ever since. I got taken on as a manufacturing engineer and one if my classmates got taken on as a design engineer. That's just the way the cards fell. Even though my degree was in mechanical I can't complain, love the job!

A professor got me set up with an internship there during senior year, I guess they thought I did a good job and offered me a full time position a month before graduation. I don't think there was any length of time that I signed for but I had to sign papers saying I was going to be starting at a certain salary on a certain date. Been there ever since. I got taken on as a manufacturing engineer and one if my classmates got taken on as a design engineer. That's just the way the cards fell. Even though my degree was in mechanical I can't complain, love the job!

So you design and refine the assembly of the products instead of the products themselves? any cool job perks?

Also thanks again for all the info!

Forget about perks and riding for a living.  

1st rule is dont work for someone else.

2nd rule is earn your own money and spend it buying free time and new bikes/parts to go riding.

3rd rule is don't focus on the job ... focus on what you need to do to make money and not have to work 40-60hrs a week (ie retirement/semi-retirement). Start this NOW and don't stop! 

Hate to tell you, but if you were a non-Japanese living in Japan working right beside Mr Honda as the number one design engineer, your chance to ride moto/trails/desert/speedway/track (everything other than  bumper to bumper traffic) would be pretty slim.