Sign in to follow this  

Cbr600f2 wheel questions

I am in the process of doing this conversion for my yz426 (also a set for my wr450 possibly). I have searched high and low on here and google and still need to confirm some parts guys are using to get this setup on the bike.

From what I can gather this far:

Front wheel- use oem f2 wheel bearings, a 360mm disk from a few different bikes (listed in the archive thread I found) and some mill work.

Rear wheel - f2 wheel, cb450 or vf500 Cush drive, cb 400 rotor, new bearings (I believe dimensions are posted in the other thread as well on the bearings) and custom bushings.

Now, my questions:

1. What year vf500 or cb450 do I need to get a Cush drive off of, I have looked at a few and the design is different depending on what year you look at.

2. What Cush rubbers do you run? The F2 or the ones for the Cush drive of choice?

3. Where is a good place for the custom rear sprocket in the US? What is the typical teeth count you guys run on the street in front and rear? Looking for fun in town bike with occasional track day, its already plenty powerful.

4. Has anyone confirmed the talon POW81 caliper bracket fitment to be correct for the front brake?

5. Would anyone off hand know what te differences would be to put these wheels on my 04 wr450 from the 426? From what I understand the front should be a direct bolt on, but unsure on a lot. I will of course take all the measurements just figured if someone might know it would save me some time.

6. What size tires is popular on this setup?

I appreciate all the help in advance anyone can offer. I plan on taking a lot if pictures and documenting everything so hopefully a sticky can come from it and no more question threads like this.

Thanks guys!

A friend gave me the wheels free, and I have access to machine equipment. This will do for now until I have the extra cash laying around. Just using them for the street to and from work for now.

Edited by motocrosboy89

I am in the process of doing this conversion for my yz426 (also a set for my wr450 possibly). I have searched high and low on here and google and still need to confirm some parts guys are using to get this setup on the bike.

From what I can gather this far:

Front wheel- use oem f2 wheel bearings, a 360mm disk from a few different bikes (listed in the archive thread I found) and some mill work.

Rear wheel - f2 wheel, cb450 or vf500 Cush drive, cb 400 rotor, new bearings (I believe dimensions are posted in the other thread as well on the bearings) and custom bushings.

Now, my questions:

1. What year vf500 or cb450 do I need to get a Cush drive off of, I have looked at a few and the design is different depending on what year you look at.

2. What Cush rubbers do you run? The F2 or the ones for the Cush drive of choice?

3. Where is a good place for the custom rear sprocket in the US? What is the typical teeth count you guys run on the street in front and rear? Looking for fun in town bike with occasional track day, its already plenty powerful.

4. Has anyone confirmed the talon POW81 caliper bracket fitment to be correct for the front brake?

5. Would anyone off hand know what te differences would be to put these wheels on my 04 wr450 from the 426? From what I understand the front should be a direct bolt on, but unsure on a lot. I will of course take all the measurements just figured if someone might know it would save me some time.

6. What size tires is popular on this setup?

I appreciate all the help in advance anyone can offer. I plan on taking a lot if pictures and documenting everything so hopefully a sticky can come from it and no more question threads like this.

Thanks guys!

I can try and provide a little info about the rear sprocket hubs...  The VF500 and the CB450 hubs were both from 1985.

My F2 rear wheel was for a DRZ400, not a Yamaha... You will need to measure everything to keep the rotor, sprocket and the center line of the rear wheel in the proper locations.

Honda%2520cush%2520hubs.jpg

I used a Vortex rear sprocket for the initial installation, it wore out in about 6000 miles and then I went to a steel sprocket from a GS500 Suzuki.  The center hole for the sprocket on the VF500/CB450 hub is 80mm, the GS500 has the same bolt circle to attach the sprocket, but the center hole is 87mm, so i machined a thin aluminum ring that fit into the GS500 sprocket and then had the 80mm I.D. so it fit properly onto the VF500/CB450 style hub.  The GS sprocket is for a 520 chain, the original sprockets for the Honda F2 and the VF500 or Cb450 is a 530 chain.  The GS sprocket was made for the 1994 - 2002 models, there may also be some other years that are the same, but mine was listed for the 1994 - 2002 models.  Any of the cush rubbers have been, F2, VT500 or the CB450.

I have put 35K miles on my rear F2 wheel, it was worked great.  I only ride on the street or some light gravel/dirt roads, not rear off road stuff.  Due to not enough width to play with, I had to machine off the area that holds the seals for the bearings, still not a problem...

DRZ_F2%2520Sprocket%25201_29_12.jpg

The first hub I set-up I removed the 10x1.25 studs by heating the hub up in a toaster oven and tapped the holes for a 12x1.5 bolt.  The second hub I made up was the Cb450 hub and I removed the studs and installed 10x1.5 helicoils in the hub, the helicoils are nicer for me that using the larger 12x1.5 bolts.  You have to machine the sprockets for the taper head allen style bolts. 

In regards to tires, the 120/70-17 front is probably best and the best size for the rear is probably a 150/60-17 or a 160/60-17 tire depending what type of tire you are considering. 

Take your time and double check all measurements, good luck with the project.

Craig

Edited by Radtech
  • Like 1

I can try and provide a little info about the rear sprocket hubs... The VF500 and the CB450 hubs were both from 1985.

My F2 rear wheel was for a DRZ400, not a Yamaha... You will need to measure everything to keep the rotor, sprocket and the center line of the rear wheel in the proper locations.

Posted Image

I used a Vortex rear sprocket for the initial installation, it wore out in about 6000 miles and then I went to a steel sprocket from a GS500 Suzuki. The center hole for the sprocket on the VF500/CB450 hub is 80mm, the GS500 has the same bolt circle to attach the sprocket, but the center hole is 87mm, so i machined a thin aluminum ring that fit into the GS500 sprocket and then had the 80mm I.D. so it fit properly onto the VF500/CB450 style hub. The GS sprocket is for a 520 chain, the original sprockets for the Honda F2 and the VF500 or Cb450 is a 530 chain. The GS sprocket was made for the 1994 - 2002 models, there may also be some other years that are the same, but mine was listed for the 1994 - 2002 models. Any of the cush rubbers have been, F2, VT500 or the CB450.

I have put 35K miles on my rear F2 wheel, it was worked great. I only ride on the street or some light gravel/dirt roads, not rear off road stuff. Due to not enough width to play with, I had to machine off the area that holds the seals for the bearings, still not a problem...

Posted Image

The first hub I set-up I removed the 10x1.25 studs by heating the hub up in a toaster oven and tapped the holes for a 12x1.5 bolt. The second hub I made up was the Cb450 hub and I removed the studs and installed 10x1.5 helicoils in the hub, the helicoils are nicer for me that using the larger 12x1.5 bolts. You have to machine the sprockets for the taper head allen style bolts.

In regards to tires, the 120/70-17 front is probably best and the best size for the rear is probably a 150/60-17 or a 160/60-17 tire depending what type of tire you are considering.

Take your time and double check all measurements, good luck with the project.

Craig

Craig,

Thanks a lot for posting all that info. I really appreciate it!