Baja Designs DS kit brake light switch failure

Any of you with the Baja Designs DS kit on your bike ever run into this problem? I was out riding some nasty single track this past weekend when I realized I had no back brakes at the most inopportune time. I was pivot turning at a right-hand switchback on the edge of a cliff, tried hitting the back brake to keep from rolling backwards down off the edge, and.... eekers.gif We were riding through some thick brush earlier, so I just assumed I tore the rubber line when I looked down and saw fluid in the master cylinder area. I just now tore it apart and found the problem. The top of the banjo bolt blew out at the brake light switch. I have had this kit on since '02, and this is the first problem I've had with this. I no longer use it for road use, and the stock one is long gone, so I just took a torch to it and melted out all of the plastic and switch components and welded the pig shut. naughty.gif

If you have the same setup on yours, you may want to carry the stock banjo bolt with you in your tool bag or switch over to an external switch. I don't know if it was something that deteriorated with age, or if a foreign object got up in there and broke it.IMG_2091_zps16d574ed.jpg

good advise, now got to find the stock banjo bolt.

I am planing to replace both the BD pressure switches with Tusk ones since both front and rear have failed after about 5 years of use. No leaks though. 

Your both lucky your BD DS parts lasted that long.On our bikes,we where lucky to get a year out of the BD parts.Wont use them any more,BTR

good advise, now got to find the stock banjo bolt.

I am planing to replace both the BD pressure switches with Tusk ones since both front and rear have failed after about 5 years of use. No leaks though. 

Just a heads-up: The Tusk units are the same design as the BD ones, and there are a few reviews on that Tusk page where guys had the same problem as me. Again, I'd go with a different design if I were going DS. Try this one: https://www.denniskirk.com/drag-specialties/mechanical-rear-stoplight-switch.ph20056.prd/H20056.sku