Sign in to follow this  

05 YZ 250 Swing arm bearings loose in bore

so I just picked up a 05 250, started to strip the bike down to grease everything but all the linkage/swing arm bearings were dry and rusted, when i pressed the old bearing out of the swing arm they moved a few mm then just fell out, when i go to put new bearings in they will just slide in with maybe 1-2mm play like the old ones.  I know this is pretty much unacceptable but has anyone else had this happen?

Can anyone tell me what year swing arm will fit (yz/yzf), that will help me out when browsing for a good used part, thanks all. 

1-2 mm play is massive.

How does the machined surface in the swingarm look? Is is all galled and wallowed out, or still appears clean and round?

With that much play, and the fact that the stockers still had press, I'd say you got the wrong bearings.

1-2 mm play is massive.

How does the machined surface in the swingarm look? Is is all galled and wallowed out, or still appears clean and round?

With that much play, and the fact that the stockers still had press, I'd say you got the wrong bearings.

well i got home and put them in again, it may not be that much play and as i push them in towards where the inner seals are they get tight how it should be. I guess ill start looking for a good used arm.  thanks.

You could save your swingwarm pressing a sleeve into it so your bearings sit tight again.

Thanks for the tip, would this be a custom job or do they have repair kits?